all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercise for boxing/striking power

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

P. Daru is one of the references as far as S&C for fight sport goes.

"Precision Striking" YouTube channel is also an excellent source of information (by the way, this is the guy with Daru here). However, this is dedicated to English boxing. Here is also the website: https://www.precisionstriking.com/blog/

Kind regards,

Pet'

Not a bad vid, as you say nothing groundbreaking but at least he understands the mechanics of how to hit hard and he can convey it well.

I recently pulled my kids out of karate because the head instructor (a 5 dan mind you) didn't understand the fundamentals. He was teaching a style that lead from the shoulder and then followed through with the hips. All the other black belts were emphasizing it more and they were throwing punches and following through with a dinky little double pump of the hips.

It looked ridiculous from behind, the whole class was throwing punches and following through with a butt wiggle. I saw my oldest boy doing it and that was the final straw. They get more value out of sparring with me and grappling on the trampoline.

Not a bad vid, as you say nothing groundbreaking but at least he understands the mechanics of how to hit hard and he can convey it well.

I recently pulled my kids out of karate because the head instructor (a 5 dan mind you) didn't understand the fundamentals. He was teaching a style that lead from the shoulder and then followed through with the hips. All the other black belts were emphasizing it more and they were throwing punches and following through with a dinky little double pump of the hips.

It looked ridiculous from behind, the whole class was throwing punches and following through with a butt wiggle. I saw my oldest boy doing it and that was the final straw. They get more value out of sparring with me and grappling on the trampoline.

I remember attending a JKD class with a buddy, as a guest. The instructor knew I'd done JKD and MuayThai, asked me to demo a series of vertical fist across the mat. I did. He addressed the class "this is what I'm talking about, commonality of execution".

He could deliver serious power per strike, but had trouble conveying the principles. I was thinking "they need to execute a vertical fist or they cannot continue learning."

I actually pulled back and started showing my kids mano a mano using 52 handblocks, and they took to it. Messy maybe. Rudimentary but effective, I'll get them into Kali when they show some aptitude, if ever. It doesn't matter how hard you hit if your metacarpals break or you are shocked by multiple attackers.

I've never done any JKD, is the vertical fist concept anything like Jack Dempsey's power line concept?

My focus with the lids now is teaching them situational awareness, recognizing and impending threat early and de-escalating aggression without violence. Then if anything still happens I want them to have good distance management, so they're out of range whenever possible or all in so to speak.

I really hope they never have to fight but it's nice to know they can handle themselves if there are no other options.

Hello,

Below is an interesting video about this topic. In general, this YouTube channel is quite good, imo:

Kind regards,

Pet'

As I have practiced Systema for some time I find the instructional videos by Kevin Secours very helpful. I think it is a different approach to boxing and its power generation.

I just watched that vid you posted @pet' and I wasn't that impressed at first but in hindsight it seems like I'd taken it out of context. He didn't explain how to project your bodyweight into a punch in that vid and did it all from a static stance. That vid was titled Five building blocks to punching power, so it wasn't his final word on how to actually hit hard, it was just an introductory lesson so to speak.

Then I watched this one from the same guy where he puts it into practice and demonstrates his technique on a heavy bag and he shows he's got it all. Falling step on the jab and he drives from the floor when he throws a right. He's got better technique than some of the fighters I've seen in the MMA.

I've seen guys in Queensland boxing tents do basically what he did in that vid and beat some of the guys on the payroll. Basically all they had was a good 1-2 combination, good distance management and they could hit hard, just getting those few things right can sometimes be enough to beat a good percentage of opponents.

I just watched that vid you posted @pet' and I wasn't that impressed at first but in hindsight it seems like I'd taken it out of context. He didn't explain how to project your bodyweight into a punch in that vid and did it all from a static stance. That vid was titled Five building blocks to punching power, so it wasn't his final word on how to actually hit hard, it was just an introductory lesson so to speak.

Then I watched this one from the same guy where he puts it into practice and demonstrates his technique on a heavy bag and he shows he's got it all. Falling step on the jab and he drives from the floor when he throws a right. He's got better technique than some of the fighters I've seen in the MMA.

I've seen guys in Queensland boxing tents do basically what he did in that vid and beat some of the guys on the payroll. Basically all they had was a good 1-2 combination, good distance management and they could hit hard, just getting those few things right can sometimes be enough to beat a good percentage of opponents.

Good, solid technique.

Hello,

Defense is something which can vary a lot. For instance, F. Mayweather is a big proponent of a Phily defense. Tyson's peek-a-boo, low guard of Prince Naseem Hamed, Norton / Frazier's cross guard, opened guard (such as in Muay Thai…), etc...

For instance, in kickboxing, Thai or French, a low guard is very dangerous because it makes the head easy to touch with fast kick combos.

Each of them has pros and cons

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Defense is something which can vary a lot. For instance, F. Mayweather is a big proponent of a Phily defense. Tyson's peek-a-boo, low guard of Prince Naseem Hamed, Norton / Frazier's cross guard, opened guard (such as in Muay Thai…), etc...

For instance, in kickboxing, Thai or French, a low guard is very dangerous because it makes the head easy to touch with fast kick combos.

Each of them has pros and cons

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yeah, you have to build your defense around your strengths IMHO. The Philly Shell is good for counterpunchers to draw in opponent. Norton and Frasier cross guard and to lesser extent Foreman "rob the bank" (52?) defense which allows relentless advance.

And then there is what works well for cover when maybe multiple attackers are in play, or a knife is produced. I find it is in the martial roots of whatever tradition that you find the reason for many seemingly idiosyncratic techniques.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom