all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercise or Lifestyle?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Nice article Steve.

Today I met a friend for work about 5 km from home. I went there by bike. When we met, he said: "don't you sweat coming here by bike? ". As long as we only sweat in our gym clothes we will be doing worse and worse.

I just replied that I bike slowly and don't sweat more than if I had walked 10 blocks, which is true.

When I was 16 or so I 'discovered' climbing. (That was pretty out there and counter culture in those days...) That ended up becoming my lifestyle for decades. I quickly realized that I needed to do some ancillary training to support my habit. That lead to running, cycling, weights, etc. The harder and more dangerous we climbed, the harder the training became.
Some time in the infantry. Some decades of martial arts thrown in for good measure... but all in all it's been a lifestyle of activity.

It's never been about exercising, or health, or longevity, or any of that stuff...

It's been about living life....

living life slower these days, and somewhat less dangerously, but still living the lifestyle.

That article resonated with me as although I have always exercised, my parents never worked out but weren't couch potatoes either. They were always doing gardening and other work around the house, and going for walks in the evening. They lived and are living active lives right to the end. So I've often questioned which was better for healthy longevity along the lines of that article.

Having been to Okinawa, I have some personal observations on what I saw there.

First and arguably most important, is the fact that I saw a lot of people working well past retirement age.
Taxi drivers in their seventies even!
I went to Okinawa during the Uchinanchu Festival, which they have once every five years to invite back all the Okinawans who emigrated to other countries in the world. My karate Sensei is Okinawan, so us students get to go, as karate being an Okinawan art and part of there cultural heritage.
One night we get to go to this smaller festival party happening down by the ocean, several hundred people there. After speeches and all that stuff, they had there traditional drums other instruments, performing their traditional music. While everyone was standing up dancing this traditional dance. That probably lasted an hour. Seemed heavily influenced by both Chinese and Polynesian.
The people I found there were very peaceful and kind. ( In Tokyo after, not as much)

At the Budokan in Naha, was where they had this huge karate and kobudo demonstrations, and seminars.
At the seminars there were different Sensei in their Seventies and Eighties still demonstrating their Kata and teaching.

At the grocery store, across the road from our hotel. They had a long isle of fresh sea food, some chicken and only a small area selling beef or pork. Opposite to us westerners.
From all the food we ate, a lot more vegetables and a lot less meat than we consume.

There is a lot more western fast food joints in Okinawa now, and especially KFC!
When my Sensei was young, he said there where very few over weight people, and no one classified as obese.
Now there are a lot more Okinawans that are overweight.

I think in the future , you will still see a lot of centurions there still, but modern medicine will play a lot bigger roll then before.

Al

This article reinforces the appreciation I have for the 50 stairs which separate the top of my driveway from the main living area.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom