all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Exercise question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Baron von Raschke

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello everyone. What is the kettlebell exercise the SFG on the home page of this website is doing in the third picture? He's in a full squat with one kettlebell in the racked position in his right hand and a second kettlebell in a full overhead press position in his left hand. What is this exercise and what movements are involved? Does he alternate presses with each hand while down in the squat? The more I look at this picture, the more possible variations I see and I'm wondering what the correct movement sequence is, and also what it's called. Thanks!

Looks like a "two hands anyhow"

Could be a Sotts press and the off hand curls a second bell into the rack. Could be an alternating rack/overhead press into squat...

Looks like a "two hands anyhow"

Could be a Sotts press and the off hand curls a second bell into the rack. Could be an alternating rack/overhead press into squat...
So it doesn't sound like it's a common double kettlebell move. I'm really only familiar with anything from ETK, swings, cleans, presses, snatches, TGU's. I know there's a million kettlebell exercises but this one just mystifies me. I can't imagine what sequence of moves would lead to, or get you out of, the position shown in the picture, and what constitutes a rep.

I assumed it was a Sots Press. I didn't even think about the Anyhow. But for a Sots Press, the sequence would be:
1. Double Clean
2. Double Front Squat (Down)
3. Press Left (or Right)
4. Press Right (or Left)
That's one Rep. When you finish your desired number of reps on the Press, you Squat (Up) and park the 'bells.

Tough exercise.

Victor Sots was a champion Soviet Weightlifter in the old 100kg weight class in the early 80's. This was his exercise for developing strength and flexibility for the receiving position of the clean.

In the picture looks like maybe See Saw KB Sots Press. He could be in the middle of a Two Hands Anyhow.

If the Sots press is not achievable right now you can sit in a Front Squat with a band around your hips facing a low anchor, and press. You can progress to an unsupported Sots Press my moving closer to the anchor point, and lighter bands. You could also elevate the heels, and transition toward no assistance.

The Squatting Press can be helpful for the Bent Press to get used to pressing yourself under weight. There are many barbell variations, but we are talking kettlebells here.

Last edited:
So it doesn't sound like it's a common double kettlebell move. I'm really only familiar with anything from ETK, swings, cleans, presses, snatches, TGU's. I know there's a million kettlebell exercises but this one just mystifies me. I can't imagine what sequence of moves would lead to, or get you out of, the position shown in the picture, and what constitutes a rep.

Here's it at 21 seconds in, doing a 'two hands bent press'.
Is a great feeling exercise.

You can get two weights locked out anyway you can, but this method is very efficient and fun. I have put some pretty big weights up with C&J+Windmill+Monkey Clean+Press. It's called "anyhow" for a reason.

Victor Sots was a champion Soviet Weightlifter in the old 100kg weight class in the early 80's. This was his exercise for developing strength and flexibility for the receiving position of the clean.

In the picture looks like maybe See Saw KB Sots Press. He could be in the middle of a Two Hands Anyhow...

The Squatting Press can be helpful for the Bent Press to get used to pressing yourself under weight. There are many barbell variations, but we are talking kettlebells here.

I like the exercise shown at ~2:52, but with 1/2 kettlebell(s). Definitely helps with the bent press. Haven't tried it with a barbell yet.

I'm also pretty sure the picture in question is a See Saw KB Sots Press.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom