all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Exercise to complement S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rspread

First Post
Hi,

Im currently planning my offseason training, I have been searching for threads over the internet but I cannot find what I'm looking for.

Do you guys think that it would be reasonable to add more kettlebell exercises to S&S so I can build more strength in the upper body, and if so what exercises do you suggest?

Thanks,

(the sport is motocross)

Hi,

Im currently planning my offseason training, I have been searching for threads over the internet but I cannot find what I'm looking for.

Do you guys think that it would be reasonable to add more kettlebell exercises to S&S so I can build more strength in the upper body, and if so what exercises do you suggest?

Thanks,

(the sport is motocross)

@rspread Do you currently run S&S? If yes, how many days a week with what weight?

Hi,

Thanks,

(the sport is motocross)

Pushups and pullups or rows of some sort.

@rspread Welcome to the forum!

Pull ups would be my recommendation: I follow the 'Program Minimum' from Enter the Kettlebell, which is very similar to Simple & Sinister in that it's just swings and get-ups. I perform pull-ups throughout the day outside of my kettlebell training and I feel that it complements my kb training without interfering with it.

One nuance of S&S that's worth noting is that there is a little variability in how heavy you run it. If you truly want a "minimum daily dose," you can use a weight that lets you cruise through it, start to finish, in 20-25 minutes, 6-7 days a week. If you have more time and more ability to recover, you can see better results by going heavier, lengthening the rest periods, and giving yourself 30-60 minutes to work through a session, 4-6 days a week. If you want train more/harder, I would advise you to simply train S&S more/harder. I honestly don't see much benefit to your sport from adding to S&S, unless you're adding very sport-specific work.

If you're very accomplished at swings and TGU, you can really do any mix of swings/snatches and TGU/bent press in an "S&S-like" manner and get good results. I think the program minimum squared is a good example of that. But seriously, if you just want reliable results, hammer away at S&S. Period.

On other days use a heavier bell and do partial getups (up to the tall sit) hold the position for 10 seconds each.. Constatntly switch back and forth for 10 minutes.

Pull-ups and presses. I think low-moderate reps on the minute for 10 or so minutes each is an easy way to add volume after S&S. Additionally, I've been working on a step or two after S&S to continue with the same weight before a weight jump.

3-5 Rounds at your S&S weight(long rests between sets)
1L/1R TGU
2L/2R Clean & Press
3L/3R Snatch
4L/4R Clean & Jerk
5L/5R Swing

@BroMo Thanks for that idea - I was looking for something to do today and that fit the bill perfectly. I changed the TGU to 1 clean and squat and instead of the jerks did side press which is in keeping with my current training. I also added 60 paces loaded carries to each round. Four rounds did me the world of good. In my training diary I shall be referring to this as the "Sinister Ladder".

Thanks again.

@Ian V On a test day I aim for <5min per round and my "ready for the next phase" test is currently 5 rounds in under 25min.

I may work on 6 mins as I am adding the loaded carries and aim for 5 rounds in 30 mins. I don't do S+S but work on a Bent and Sinister protocol with mainly snatches in the ballistic phase.

@rspread Welcome to the forum!

Pull ups would be my recommendation: I follow the 'Program Minimum' from Enter the Kettlebell, which is very similar to Simple & Sinister in that it's just swings and get-ups. I perform pull-ups throughout the day outside of my kettlebell training and I feel that it complements my kb training without interfering with it.
+1 for GTG pull ups. They really helped stabilise my upper back.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom