all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercising for longevity vs performance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
The advice from some of the old timers does sound more fun.
this is how Arnold Schwarzenegger summarized the study

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-tequila-cigar-hack.jpg

I couldn't resist. . .

Here is a nice large sample study:

Aerobic exercise + strength training seems to be a ver powerful combination (but if it is either/or then aerobic exercises seems to be more important).

Btw, this is how Arnold Schwarzenegger summarized the study in his newsletter:

So if I start smoking, and then quit, I can get the same reduction in mortality as all this exercise? ;)

Man, that sounds so much easier than doing aerobic work for 3 hours a week, plus resistance training....

I watched this hour long video this morning. It was worth a shot at a good discussion. At one point my heart went out to the man when he said his young wife had a stroke and he asked and thanked friends for donations. For me I would hope that this man could see that his wife may have died and that he would realize that increasing our longevity is an impossibly.

Sometimes in other videos, usually with some self proclaimed scientist with a gigantic foam microphone starts speaking about evolution I immediately disregard what they have to say for (nothing+time+chance= nothing). Therefore I believe man is a created being. Having said that I believe that man also has an appointed time to die predetermined by his Creator. Young people can die and old people must die. Yet at the same time it does seem as if we can increase our health span. Eating real food, movement and strength training all seem to help. Yeh there is always the story about uncle Buck who drank, smoked and rode a Harley and lived to 101, but that was his appointed time.

Kind regards,

I watched this hour long video this morning. It was worth a shot at a good discussion. At one point my heart went out to the man when he said his young wife had a stroke and he asked and thanked friends for donations. For me I would hope that this man could see that his wife may have died and that he would realize that increasing our longevity is an impossibly.

Sometimes in other videos, usually with some self proclaimed scientist with a gigantic foam microphone starts speaking about evolution I immediately disregard what they have to say for (nothing+time+chance= nothing). Therefore I believe man is a created being. Having said that I believe that man also has an appointed time to die predetermined by his Creator. Young people can die and old people must die. Yet at the same time it does seem as if we can increase our health span. Eating real food, movement and strength training all seem to help. Yeh there is always the story about uncle Buck who drank, smoked and rode a Harley and lived to 101, but that was his appointed time.

Kind regards,

Perhaps not so much increasing it as prematurely decreasing it by poor choices in life?

"Three score and ten, and if by reason of strength they be four score years..." Seems like that's the median average now.

So if I start smoking, and then quit, I can get the same reduction in mortality as all this exercise? ;)

Man, that sounds so much easier than doing aerobic work for 3 hours a week, plus resistance training....
Go ahead and enjoy. If you repeat it, will it add up?

On a serious note, the study calls it "moderate physical activity" and "vigorious physical activity".
If I am not mistaken, sample questions might be these:
  • How often do you do VIGOROUS leisure-time physical activitiesa for AT LEAST 10 MINUTES that cause HEAVY sweating or LARGE increases in breathing or heart rate?
  • How often do you do LIGHT OR MODERATE LEISURE-TIME physical activitiesa for AT LEAST 10 MINUTES that cause ONLY LIGHT sweating or a SLIGHT to MODERATE increase in breathing or heart rate?
Not sure if there is more to it in this study. The abstract names 1-3 hours of one or both.

Thus, 1 hour of brisk walking per week could be the minimum effective dose and 3 hours of walking/cycling/jogging/rowing the point of diminshing returns.

And this is how Joel Jamieson puts it:

I'm all for exercise to increase your health in old age. But I still think a lot of it boils down to genetics. Everyone knows about Jack LaLanne, but his brother Norm outlived him by a year and died at age 97. His workout routine was golf, martinis and the occasional cigar.

Is exercising to gain strength, build muscle, and lose fat the same as exercising for longevity?

The video claims that it's different if one is exercising with the intent of activating autophagy.

I have zero interest in performance.

All my exercising has to be fun and with a distinct focus on longevity. Probably in that specific order.

I've reached to the point where even when I'm doing hard(ish) sparring, I find myself minimizing the amount of effort spent, trying to rely on pure technique as much as possible (which, at times, it's not possible at all).

Easy strength, easy running (Mafettone/Tanaka), easy sparring, easy motion (OS/GFM) and, in general, easy living.

But I still think a lot of it boils down to genetics.

And this is the problem when looking at a single variable....exercise/activity....interacting with many variables in terms of health and this thing longevity.

Yup some people are blessed with some cockroach genes and live well to a ripe old age despite the over indulgence of every known mind altering and cell destroying substance.

I've already surpassed the average life expectancy for adult blokes in some parts of Scotland.....54. I'm 59. And we know why this is....inequality. Health and wealth inequalities and if genetics were to be such a determinant for health then there would not be such a wide gap. So as genetic influence plays a role, precisely how much will be perhaps never really known.

So level the playing field to equate for genetics and wealth inequality to zoom in on exercise and activity then? How? Is it possible?

So what you're left with is the view that movement and exercise is good for you and data supports that. To what extent does it support this longevity thing is well, ....more research is needed.
Probably likely, somewhat or very little. Who knows?

It's part of a package isn't it? And each package is different....

All my exercising has to be fun and with a distinct focus on longevity. Probably in that specific order.

I've reached to the point where even when I'm doing hard(ish) sparring, I find myself minimizing the amount of effort spent, trying to rely on pure technique as much as possible (which, at times, it's not possible at all).

Easy strength, easy running (Mafettone/Tanaka), easy sparring, easy motion (OS/GFM) and, in general, easy living.

Performance isn't fun?

It is for me.

Otherwise, I feel like I don't have an objective.

Longevity is an objective, just not a performance goal. @watchnerd, I also have little interest in longevity for its own sake. I think there can be a happy balance between adding life to one's years and adding years to one's life.

-S-

The challenge I have, intellectually, with longevity as an objective is how and when do when I've achieved it?

When I'm near death, I don't have a non-exercising twin I can compare to in order to see if I achieved my life extension objective.

The challenge I have, intellectually, with longevity as an objective is how and when do when I've achieved it?

When I'm near death, I don't have a non-exercising twin I can compare to in order to see if I achieved my life extension objective.

Not all things can be measured. Some goals worth pursuing might never be achieved but their pursuit can nonetheless be noble.

-S-

I'm all for exercise to increase your health in old age. But I still think a lot of it boils down to genetics. Everyone knows about Jack LaLanne, but his brother Norm outlived him by a year and died at age 97. His workout routine was golf, martinis and the occasional cigar.

This is why a larger sample size is desired. The more people in the study, the less likely it's thrown off by a few outliers.

They're also saying now that genetics might not play as big a role as previously thought. In the example of the LaLanne brothers, maybe there's some variables that weren't accounted for. It might not be strictly due to genetics.

That's generally what many here do, give or take. Exactly the same as an Andy Galpin template, interested more towards strength or endurance add another day at a moderate level. For all round health benefits.
Have we replaced the word 'health' with 'longevity'?
It's my suspicion that that is what happened somewhere and it's morphed, grown arms and legs and become this new thing....longevity.
We've witnessed the birth of a fitness meme, evolving in real time.
No longer the health and fitness industry, it's the longevity and wellness biosphere.
No more health gurus, it's longevity gurus. Unless you have 110 year olds doing sinister almost daily how can any guru claim their longevity claims are supported by longevity data? Especially when guru is a 23 year old biohacker from silicon Valley with a 31 year old client. Unless of course your client base are 7th day adventists or live in Sardinia? Or both.

I'm sticking to health and performance. This longevity carry on will be the death of me.

But if you aren't interested in performance (I assume getting better at fighting falls under that umbrella) why spar at all?

That's generally what many here do, give or take. Exactly the same as an Andy Galpin template, interested more towards strength or endurance add another day at a moderate level. For all round health benefits.
Have we replaced the word 'health' with 'longevity'?
It's my suspicion that that is what happened somewhere and it's morphed, grown arms and legs and become this new thing....longevity.
We've witnessed the birth of a fitness meme, evolving in real time.
No longer the health and fitness industry, it's the longevity and wellness biosphere.
No more health gurus, it's longevity gurus. Unless you have 110 year olds doing sinister almost daily how can any guru claim their longevity claims are supported by longevity data? Especially when guru is a 23 year old biohacker from silicon Valley with a 31 year old client. Unless of course your client base are 7th day adventists or live in Sardinia? Or both.

I'm sticking to health and performance. This longevity carry on will be the death of me.
Amen.

Back
Top Bottom