all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercising for longevity vs performance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Fortune will come to those who take glycine. Glycine is so cool. People usually only know it's a major component of collagen (which alone makes it interesting), but it plays important role in methylation and it's a neurotransmitter too.
2.6 grams per serve in the gelatin powder I take. Thinking I'll bump that up a good bit with some straight glycine powder.

2.6 grams per serve in the gelatin powder I take. Thinking I'll bump that up a good bit with some straight glycine powder.
I think gelatin works better for me. Perhaps the glycine there is in more bioavailable form? And best of the bests, many traditional and delicious foods in my country contain everything except meat from animals. I mean skin, cartilage, tendons, organs, etc. Yummy.

I think gelatin works better for me. Perhaps the glycine there is in more bioavailable form? And best of the bests, many traditional and delicious foods in my country contain everything except meat from animals. I mean skin, cartilage, tendons, organs, etc. Yummy.
Excellent. Yes, nose to tail is best. Glycine powder to CYA.

take the time to examine why they want to do what they're doing (not just "becuase it's cool," but what is it fulfilling in your life and why), and to be aware of and accept any consequences and/or effects of what they're doing.

Why do I do what I do?

Because my fitness journey started at a young age (10 or so) with competitive sports and I spent over a decade (age 10-22) being trained to compete and win.

That early imprinting runs deep and is sticky even later in life.

@Don Fairbanks - summary of Slim Land YouTube video

Excellent. Yes, nose to tail is best.

• Glycine has been shown to extend lifespan in animal studies and mitigate chronic disease and disability, thereby increasing healthspan
  • Glycine has anticancer effects, reduces insulin and alleviates neuroinflammation; it may also protect against depression and is essential for collagen synthesis
  • To gain all of glycine’s healing potential, doses of 10 to 20 grams a day may be optimal
  • You need at least 12 grams of glycine daily for optimal collagen turnover, plus another 3 grams per day to form glutathione
  • Excess methionine from eating animal products without the connective tissues decreases longevity, but adding glycine will reduce the methionine/glycine ratio to counter the negative side effects of excess methionine
  • Glycine has neurotransmitter qualities, improves depression and is also useful for improving sleep quality by helping relaxation at night by being very similar to the neurotransmitter GABA

@Don Fairbanks - summary of Slim Land YouTube video

• Glycine has been shown to extend lifespan in animal studies and mitigate chronic disease and disability, thereby increasing healthspan
  • Glycine has anticancer effects, reduces insulin and alleviates neuroinflammation; it may also protect against depression and is essential for collagen synthesis
  • To gain all of glycine’s healing potential, doses of 10 to 20 grams a day may be optimal
  • You need at least 12 grams of glycine daily for optimal collagen turnover, plus another 3 grams per day to form glutathione
  • Excess methionine from eating animal products without the connective tissues decreases longevity, but adding glycine will reduce the methionine/glycine ratio to counter the negative side effects of excess methionine
  • Glycine has neurotransmitter qualities, improves depression and is also useful for improving sleep quality by helping relaxation at night by being very similar to the neurotransmitter GABA

Pig skin snacks to the rescue

Pretty sure if you keep waking someone up as they drop into REM sleep in sort order they go bat $hit. I'm a fan of vivid dream REM sleep.
I'm sure there's research one way or another, but I'm just saying that I don't feel more rested having taken it (and experiencing more vivid dreams). With the rare exception of a night when work/family/life/stress interferes, I generally sleep very well though, so maybe I'm just not as likely to notice a difference.

Glycine is a non essential amino.

Sufficient protein plus sufficient energy and non essential aminos are manufactured by our human physiology factory..
Yup if deficient for whatever reason have at it.
Yet, glycine is also found in our friendly cheap athletic compound known as creatine which we also manufacture.
Another component of which is methionine.
So that glycine/methionine imbalance is perfectly balanced in creatine, it seems.

Creatine for longevity! I'm going to enjoy my retirement.

The requirement for glycine for collagen synthesis is about 3-4 g per day. Glycine is involved in many metabolic processes when you look into amino acid biochemistry. Total human requirement has been estimated to about 10 g./ day. A small amount is synthesised. Unless a person is eating nose to tail or taking gelatin or collagen peptides (gelatin cut up a bit by enzymes) then they won't meet that daily requirement. The amount from eating nose to tail adds up to around 3-4 g per day.

Meat contains little connective tissue unless you are eating cheap cuts with a lot of tendon and associated material. Whereas various organ meats contain more collagen\connective tissue disperse through them. Hence, eating nose to tail involves consuming more collagen which has a different amino acid profile to muscle meat. Collagen is about 1/3 glycine. Collagen peptides contain a bit less as some is hydrolysed by those enzymes which make it a peptide (various from manufacturer to manufacture but more like 1/4 glycine).

Most modern humans are in chronic long term glycine insufficiency and so will benefit from eating nose to tail or taking a supplement. Methionine is also needed for health reasons. Glycine\methionine ratio is also important. Easiest way to achieve both is....
eating nose to tail or taking a supplement (gelatin or collagen peptide).

The above information may be verified by simply doing the calculations for amino acid intake etc using the relevant food groups. if you don't eat nose to tail, as you are topping up the connecitve tissue you are missing out on eating gelatin\collagen (including glycine). However, organ meats have other nutrients which you will not be ingesting if you do not eat organ meats.

Looking at the dose side of things it is pretty obvious that many modern humans are insufficient over their lifetimes and undoubtedly this contributes to chronic disease. Not only to do with insufficient collagen synthesis but also in relation to the many other biochemical processes that glycine is involved in eg neurotransmitter, sleep, heme synthesis (from memory) and various other ones.

EDIT: Missed the other side of the coin ie states of glycine\collagen excess. Some people might think if 3-4 g of collagen\gelatin a day is good for me then why not take more? It seems that one can feed large amounts to people and they may get so gut distress and thats about it. When done in short term feeding experiments. However, such large amounts of consumption don't occur in nature. So, the answer is that no one knows for sure if consuming excessive amounts of collagen\gelatin above the 3-4 g/day might lead to longer term consequences. It gets complicated as eating large amounts of collagen\gelatin might start to reduce protein consumption from other sources and interfere with amino acid balance or reduce consumption of micronutrients. Message 3-4 g/day of gelation\collagen seems like a sensible dose but more leads into an area of unknown effects which might have negative consequences.

Last edited:
I'm all for exercise to increase your health in old age. But I still think a lot of it boils down to genetics. Everyone knows about Jack LaLanne, but his brother Norm outlived him by a year and died at age 97. His workout routine was golf, martinis and the occasional cigar.
This is a misnomer. Genetics isn't a static thing. It's how your genes express that matters. You can have great genes and get unlucky and they express poorly due to exogenous factors, or the opposite.

Cf. Examples of one twin outliving the other by 20 years.

Epigenetics cause as much variation as genetics.

My list of stuff:

1. Aerobic training
2. Strength training
3. Eat mostly whole, unprocessed foods
4. Cherries on top: fasting and cold water immersion

These are mostly controllable variables. Other incredibly important factors that come in different degrees of control-ability:

1. Low stress
2. Sleep
3. Good relationships, laugh! Hobbies. Social connection, etc. #3 is huuuge.

The requirement for glycine for collagen synthesis is about 3-4 g per day. Glycine is involved in many metabolic processes when you look into amino acid biochemistry. Total human requirement has been estimated to about 10 g./ day. A small amount is synthesised. Unless a person is eating nose to tail or taking gelatin or collagen peptides (gelatin cut up a bit by enzymes) then they won't meet that daily requirement. The amount from eating nose to tail adds up to around 3-4 g per day.

Meat contains little connective tissue unless you are eating cheap cuts with a lot of tendon and associated material. Whereas various organ meats contain more collagen\connective tissue disperse through them. Hence, eating nose to tail involves consuming more collagen which has a different amino acid profile to muscle meat. Collagen is about 1/3 glycine. Collagen peptides contain a bit less as some is hydrolysed by those enzymes which make it a peptide (various from manufacturer to manufacture but more like 1/4 glycine).

Most modern humans are in chronic long term glycine insufficiency and so will benefit from eating nose to tail or taking a supplement. Methionine is also needed for health reasons. Glycine\methionine ratio is also important. Easiest way to achieve both is....
eating nose to tail or taking a supplement (gelatin or collagen peptide).

The above information may be verified by simply doing the calculations for amino acid intake etc using the relevant food groups. if you don't eat nose to tail, as you are topping up the connecitve tissue you are missing out on eating gelatin\collagen (including glycine). However, organ meats have other nutrients which you will not be ingesting if you do not eat organ meats.

Looking at the dose side of things it is pretty obvious that many modern humans are insufficient over their lifetimes and undoubtedly this contributes to chronic disease. Not only to do with insufficient collagen synthesis but also in relation to the many other biochemical processes that glycine is involved in eg neurotransmitter, sleep, heme synthesis (from memory) and various other ones.

EDIT: Missed the other side of the coin ie states of glycine\collagen excess. Some people might think if 3-4 g of collagen\gelatin a day is good for me then why not take more? It seems that one can feed large amounts to people and they may get so gut distress and thats about it. When done in short term feeding experiments. However, such large amounts of consumption don't occur in nature. So, the answer is that no one knows for sure if consuming excessive amounts of collagen\gelatin above the 3-4 g/day might lead to longer term consequences. It gets complicated as eating large amounts of collagen\gelatin might start to reduce protein consumption from other sources and interfere with amino acid balance or reduce consumption of micronutrients. Message 3-4 g/day of gelation\collagen seems like a sensible dose but more leads into an area of unknown effects which might have negative consequences.
FYI, GlyNAC.

@Don Fairbanks, but link in the YouTube description is to a product on amazon that's unavailable. Could you provide a link to a supplement?

Thanks.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom