all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Exercising for longevity vs performance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
@Don Fairbanks, but link in the YouTube description is to a product on amazon that's unavailable. Could you provide a link to a supplement?

Thanks.

-S-
No sweat Steve. These are the 3 I keep in the house.

FYI, amazon links don't show up for me sometimes, but all can be found there.

A great quote from Pavel that sums up performance vs health\longevity
"If you choose to excel in a sport, you must face the fact that your decision has nothing to do with health. You are going to rob Peter (your resistance to illness and your ability to excel in other pursuits) to pay Paul (your sport). In elite sports, where the body performs at the edge of its capacity and all resources must be thrown at the “war effort,” there can be no other way."

From the https://www.strongfirst.com/the-cost-of-adaptation/ article on this site.

I think of training for health longevity, along these lines:
Humans adapt to everything they do 24 hours a day. This includes physical training but also all that they responde to outside of physical training. So, sleep, diet, stress management and so on are all important. Health\longevity "training" involves looking at all of that. Physical training is an important aspect of that but not the only one. Health\longevity should reflect a way of life approach, that incorporates emotional adjustment to ones circumstances living a calm and active life.

I spent over a decade (age 10-22) being trained to compete and win.
Wow, that's quite a consistent commitment.
May I ask what you were trained in?
In retrospect- would you do it again (not like you necessarily had totally free will at 10, but....)

In elite sports, where the body performs at the edge of its capacity and all resources must be thrown at the “war effort,” there can be no other way."

I simultaneously agree and disagree. Depends on the population.
Yes to compete against others at the dizzying heights of elitism some sacrifices have to be made in the pursuit of glory. Family, social....your health. But that comes caveated by it depends and not always. There is nuance.

Granted some elite sports people with long careers have established support networks and financing but their health doesn't suffer....they continue because of their health status. Some don't, sure.

Contrast to a person trying to replicate an elite sports person whilst having a full time job, mortgages, kids then something has to give, sure.

Totally different populations. I do get the 'cost' of adaptation though, the risk/reward. It isn't a binary choice though: compete at a high level/ die young v be less of an athlete/live forever. You can be an elite athlete and be healthy too.

Yes to compete against others at the dizzying heights of elitism some sacrifices have to be made in the pursuit of glory. Family, social....your health. But that comes caveated by it depends and not always. There is nuance.

Granted some elite sports people with long careers have established support networks and financing but their health doesn't suffer....they continue because of their health status. Some don't, sure.

Contrast to a person trying to replicate an elite sports person whilst having a full time job, mortgages, kids then something has to give, sure.

Totally different populations. I do get the 'cost' of adaptation though, the risk/reward. It isn't a binary choice though: compete at a high level/ die young v be less of an athlete/live forever. You can be an elite athlete and be healthy too.
I’m thinking that the sport in question may also factor into the equation. Different sports have different demands.

" In elite sports, where the body performs at the edge of its capacity and all resources must be thrown at the “war effort,” there can be no other way." - That was quoting Pavel.

Training for health longevity is mainly about creating circumstances that allow optimal homeostasis leading to thriving of the organism. Peformance improvements will occur but are secondary to the primary goal.

Training for performance is about just that. The other goals of health\longevity are secondary or may even be absent in some cases.

At the end of the day, each person makes a choice. It is their right to choose and I hope they choose wisely.

Wow, that's quite a consistent commitment.
May I ask what you were trained in?
In retrospect- would you do it again (not like you necessarily had totally free will at 10, but....)

American football.

It was a pretty normal commitment in my social circles at the time.

Would I do it again? Absolutely yes.

I think it made me resilient and focused in many avenues in life.

@Don Fairbanks, but link in the YouTube description is to a product on amazon that's unavailable. Could you provide a link to a supplement?

Thanks.

-S-
FYI Steve, looks like product is in stock on Mutzel's site.

FYI Steve, looks like product is in stock on Mutzel's site.

Thanks. I'll give it a try - just ordered.

-S-

I hope I will not come across as harsh or ignorant, I know how you train and your experience and love the information you kindly share w us.

The video just boiled my blood a bit…. Maybe on top of what life serves me today :)

Honestly, him talking about his training program as with a frequency of one session in two weeks as high intensity to preserve/build muscle, and not mentioning or not knowing about Mike Mentzer who is the person who either invented this method or at least made it popular, decreases my trust to this person in the video.

I can only talk about personal experience, as a person who trained w HIT (not HIIT) principals for 6 months mostly with resistance bands/calisthenics etc with great muscle building success. Who then discovered push pull legs split and followed a calisthenics hyperthropy program and then started to practice daily and by using SF principals to gain strength,, the positive impact of high frequency strength training is day and night for me.

With HIT you can gain muscle, and that muscle might even be more than you gain through daily strength practice (I can’t say for sure) but I would pick the positive impacts of SF principals over HIT anytime.

And it is quite hard for me that HIT protocol would create similar or better longevity results than daily movement, training, exercise, practice whatever you name it

Ps: Did not watch the entire video, jumped in to his routine that he talks about basically HIT.

One other aspect for me that decreases his credibility is him talking about muscles (when I skip the video titles) this indicates me he can be an advocate of machines, isolation exercises etc. There in my opinion could be no real life scenario that those modalities would be better than moving your own body with or without external resistance for anything health or longevity or life quality.

Best;

Looking forward to hearing opposing ideas and corrections to learn from.
I don't know about Mike Mentzer's training methods, but I think body builders aren't exactly worried about performance or even have muscles that deliver a lot of strength even though they can clearly be strong. And based on the fact that most professional athletes in any sport are eating and taking PED's to sustain themselves, it would be difficult to train like them. I like SF principles because you are building great benefits with training that is repeatable and continues to build with like physical costs. You don't have to invest a ton of money in recovery routines if your training is not wrecking your body. When I was in high school, crossfit was just becoming popular and I'm sure many people compete in crossfit with great success now. However, back then they used to post a workout every day on their site and would just go all out and people would post their best numbers for who completed the most in the least amount of time. That wrecked my body. I remember having to lay on a bench after training and almost passing out. But being young and full of energy, I though that made me awesome. Needless to say, that training mentality left me weak at best. I'm not anti crossfit, it was just my misconception of how to train at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom