all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Experience with daily squat challenge?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marvinthemartian

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi!

Has anyone tried something like Ido Portal's squat challenge? Basically spend X minutes a day in the squat position. 30 minutes for 30 days for Ido Portal's challenge.

What were your results?
Difficulties encountered?
Tips to share?

I have tried 30 minutes in 30sec sets while at work and although it was doable 30 days are probably beyond my body's ability right now. My lower back felt weak and loose and my hips a little bit beat up at the end of it. So maybe I will try 10 minutes every work day for a month.

@marvinthemartian
I have done the challenge twice, I like it.
Both times I received a great increase in ankle mobility (I did it barefoot though) and hip mobility (my hips feel great during and for weeks after the 30 days). I felt like I was walking much taller, so better posture and my feet also became much strong as I was often gripping and squeezing the ground while in the deep squat.
I was doing S&S each time I did the challenge and my Swing's felt crisp and more powerful due to loose/mobile hips and perhaps activated glutes.

The only difficulty was getting to 30 minutes each day the first week as my ankles hurt, I learnt to shake it off and change foot position to combat this. I started with only being able to manage 90-120 seconds in the squat but finished with a comfortable 15 minutes after the first 30 days and the second time I did it (a year later) I managed a full 30 minutes in the squat, I also included Ido's Squat routine 2.0 into the 30 minutes the second time around for fun.

Some tips would be to do it barefoot whenever you can. I ate meals, read Strongfirst articles and watched tv in the squat to be more efficient. I highly recommend squeezing the ground with your feet, especially if your ankles tilt inwards (mine did the first week or so) and feel free to do Ido's squat routine 2.0 it will only improve the experience and results.

@the hansenator
It is a static squat yes but you're encouraged to move around a little and even pry your ankles and hips. The idea is to just sit at the bottom of a squat in small increments for a total of 30 minutes each day.

I haven't done this exact routine but I made it a daily habit to do sone form if squatting either via a dedicated leg day, as a mobility before non-leg training or just sprinkled in over the day. If you do this consistently, i.e. not only for 30 days you will def notice an improvement.

Something as mundane as scooping the cat litter box becomes an opportunity to be comfortable in a deep squat. Many so-called mundane moments can be taken advantage of.

I've never timed anything but like to spend time in a squat here and there. I read about how people struggle with squatting like that so I try to do enough to maintain it.

Hi,
I've just started doing it, thanks to this thread.
I notice my deep squat is way better after a set of (bodyweight) hack squat (trying to pull the hips off their sockets)

Hi guys,
I'm new here, and this is my first post. I found this by searching for 'ankle mobility' because my left ankle is very immobile compared to my right one. I have a general question, and although this is not the best thread for it, I think someone here might be able to share some experiences on it:

Is the prying goblet squad in the Simple and Sinister programme also effective for increasing ankle mobility? I tried it but it doesn't feel that way - yet.

If there are no replies I'll take this question to a more suitable thread. I guess I'm just hoping to hear from people with similar ankle mobility problems, and how they solved it - preferably in a very simple short daily exercise :p

Thanks for reading and I wish everyone here great squats with an awesome range of motion :)

Hi guys,
I'm new here, and this is my first post. I found this by searching for 'ankle mobility' because my left ankle is very immobile compared to my right one. I have a general question, and although this is not the best thread for it, I think someone here might be able to share some experiences on it:

Is the prying goblet squad in the Simple and Sinister programme also effective for increasing ankle mobility? I tried it but it doesn't feel that way - yet.

If there are no replies I'll take this question to a more suitable thread. I guess I'm just hoping to hear from people with similar ankle mobility problems, and how they solved it - preferably in a very simple short daily exercise :p

Thanks for reading and I wish everyone here great squats with an awesome range of motion :)

Hi Barrrt! Doing goblet squats you load your ankles through a good range of motion and doing enough of them will help with ankle mobility. But because you hold a weight in front of your body it is easier to sit back instead of pushing your knees forward. And doing them 3 times 5 a couple times a week is not much. So give them a try. But don't expect much from an exercise that doesn't focus on your problem area. Olympic weightlifting is a sport that requires great ankle mobility and you can find a lot of useful information from lifters and coaches on how to improve your ankle mobility. Maybe check that out.

Just sitting in the squat position for a couple minutes a day has improved my ankle mobility a great deal. But I never had any problems with them or even need great ankle mobility.

Hi Barrrt! Doing goblet squats you load your ankles through a good range of motion and doing enough of them will help with ankle mobility. But because you hold a weight in front of your body it is easier to sit back instead of pushing your knees forward. And doing them 3 times 5 a couple times a week is not much. So give them a try. But don't expect much from an exercise that doesn't focus on your problem area. Olympic weightlifting is a sport that requires great ankle mobility and you can find a lot of useful information from lifters and coaches on how to improve your ankle mobility. Maybe check that out.

Just sitting in the squat position for a couple minutes a day has improved my ankle mobility a great deal. But I never had any problems with them or even need great ankle mobility.

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for getting back to me :) Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I only just found out about your reply.

I've decided to right now focus mostly on building up to being able to do the whole S&S programme. My energy is a bit limited (I've been having a sore throat for a long time now) and I find that when I focus on optimizing mobility it goes at the expense of doing the actual KB excersizes. So I'll take your advice up later and add some ankle stretches, perhaps borrowed from olympic lifting or another source, into the mix, but only when I've build a more solid foundation of exercise. I found out I'm mostly motivated by doing stuff, not by doing-other-stuff-so-I-can-then-do-stuff. Hope it works out.

Thanks again for thinking along and helping out.

Cheers.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom