all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Experience with Escape Your Fighting Stance

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Anna C , are you a brettzel practicioner?

I have done it at times, but it seems to aggravate my SI joints or something in my lower back so lately I stay away from it. I'm probably doing it wrong.

Week 20 update
  • Down to doing EYFS twice a week, because I wanted to clear some time for long static stretching sessions. Just twice a week for EYFS seems to be a good spot in terms of hip fatigue - I don't feel as wiped out after a session anymore. Don't seem to be regressing on the movements yet either, so seems like it's still a good dosage.
  • Adding static stretching has made some decided improvement in my hamstring flexibility. In the end, I'd say that EYFS is really good should the shoulders, back and groin, but even with the addition of the good mornings, it really needs to be paired with some static stretching in order to work the hamstrings. To be fair, Engum does advocate working on splits, so I support I'm just starting to pick up that piece of the Flexible Steel recommendations (but I'm a long, long ways from doing any splits). With the addition of static stretching, I'm noticing I'm able to get deeper into the good morning, and my leg raises are improving, including the Cook drill @Kiacek suggested - I'm not having to fight the hamstrings so much to get the legs up.
  • Have elected not to push the pullovers further yet, but still on my radar. There are days when to 20 is starting to feel pretty easy.
  • Getting my lower shoulder out of the way to get my head down in the arm bar remains pretty tough for me. I'm considering regressing the weight to allow some more focus on that... though the meathead in me still hates the idea of stepping back on weight.
  • Between trying to hit the cobra pose harder in the hindu pushups, and doing a wall bridge as part of my static stretching, I think my bridge is starting to improve, particularly when I'm warmed up. Need to take a picture to confirm.
  • I think I'm nearing a point where it would be useful if I could figure out a way to slide my knees out in the frog. Things start to loosen up after the first few rocks, but with my current setup of a yoga mat on a rubberized floor, and have to pick myself up to get wider. Need some kind of "slick" mat, will see what's out there - would be nice to have when I feel like I'm getting closer to a split, too.
  • Still no pain in the DL or heavy KB swings.
  • Unfortunately my karate training has been too spotty lately to see if I'm getting any benefit there, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

I think I'm nearing a point where it would be useful if I could figure out a way to slide my knees out in the frog. Things start to loosen up after the first few rocks, but with my current setup of a yoga mat on a rubberized floor, and have to pick myself up to get wider. Need some kind of "slick" mat, will see what's out there

Paper plates under the knees work well, especially on carpet, but if you put 2 under each knee should work fine on a mat too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom