all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Experience with Mass Made Simple?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

James Sullivan

Level 6 Valued Member
I'm strongly considering running MMS in the nest few months and I'd be very interested to hear about peoples experience with this program. Thanks in advance!

I did it. Definitely put on some decent mass, Bench and press went up fast.

I didn’t do the pre-program where you do goblet squats for six weeks and I think that was a bad decision.. So I highly recommend you do that prior to the program.

About 2/3 the way through the program I had hip tendonitis that hindered my squatting, which is a huge part of the program.

Overall I had a positive experience with it, but my biggest takeaway was that massing isn’t important to me, and neither is barbell squatting..

The sessions will be pretty long, and you will be eating a lot. You will be sick of protein shakes by the end of it. I didn’t get tired of the PBJs though, I don’t think I could ever get sick of a good ol PBJ. Lol

I did it. Definitely put on some decent mass, Bench and press went up fast.

I didn’t do the pre-program where you do goblet squats for six weeks and I think that was a bad decision.. So I highly recommend you do that prior to the program.

About 2/3 the way through the program I had hip tendonitis that hindered my squatting, which is a huge part of the program.

Overall I had a positive experience with it, but my biggest takeaway was that massing isn’t important to me, and neither is barbell squatting..

The sessions will be pretty long, and you will be eating a lot. You will be sick of protein shakes by the end of it. I didn’t get tired of the PBJs though, I don’t think I could ever get sick of a good ol PBJ. Lol
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information.

I'm interested in why you think the 6-week goblet squat piece is critical. What was your experience with squatting prior to MMS?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information.

I'm interested in why you think the 6-week goblet squat piece is critical. What was your experience with squatting prior to MMS?
I’m glad you ask that, because it is important relative to my experience with the program. I’ll admit I didn’t have a ton of barbell squatting experience before I did the program. I had worked on back squats here and there, but never or an extended period of time.

Lots of pistol squats and goblet squats, but not in a volume like what Mass Made Simple demands.

I believe Dan John recommends the 6-week Goblet Squat program to get acclimated to high rep squats, and to get used to squatting with excellent form for high reps. (We all know its not the same as good form for a set of 10). And you don’t really think about it while reading the program, but in action, doing 30-50 squats AFTER heavy pressing, and being under a barbell for complex’s makes it feel a bit different!

I’d say if you aren’t used to LOTS of squats, even if you’re an experienced squatter, to go for it. Worst case scenario you get a bit of a light phase before going into 6 weeks of a hard concentrated effort!

I’m glad you ask that, because it is important relative to my experience with the program. I’ll admit I didn’t have a ton of barbell squatting experience before I did the program. I had worked on back squats here and there, but never or an extended period of time.

Lots of pistol squats and goblet squats, but not in a volume like what Mass Made Simple demands.

I believe Dan John recommends the 6-week Goblet Squat program to get acclimated to high rep squats, and to get used to squatting with excellent form for high reps. (We all know its not the same as good form for a set of 10). And you don’t really think about it while reading the program, but in action, doing 30-50 squats AFTER heavy pressing, and being under a barbell for complex’s makes it feel a bit different!

I’d say if you aren’t used to LOTS of squats, even if you’re an experienced squatter, to go for it. Worst case scenario you get a bit of a light phase before going into 6 weeks of a hard concentrated effort!
Excellent and thanks again. I was on the fence about this actually so this is very helpful.

I think there are certainly routes to hypertrophy that are less grueling than complexes and squatting 185*50 reps. It was brutal. If that sounds good or challenging to you though, it does have supporters!

I think there are certainly routes to hypertrophy that are less grueling than complexes and squatting 185*50 reps. It was brutal. If that sounds good or challenging to you though, it does have supporters!
Absolutely. For me, this roughly 80% about the experience / journey and 20% about the mass building.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom