all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Experience with the Long Cycle Clean and Jerk

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The long cycle of death it's in KB express
I ran this with a 24kg, pretty early in my KB Journey .. helped improve my grip and also helped building the pressing muscles !!! Didn't lose much fat and thats more because I dont eat that great and not because of the program :D

It has been a bit since I completed Herky Jerky and I stated I would write a review, so here it is. We were also doing Geoff's barbell bolt on with the program as well.

Someone on the forum once rated the perceived difficulty of all MKM's programs (BrianCf?) and had Herky Jerky as #2 behind Clean em' Up. My wife, son and I actually did Clean em' Up right before we started Herky Jerky, which was difficult but not impossible, and I assured them that according to SF Herky Jerky would be easier. Lies...all lies. I have done all the higher density programs in MKM and IMHO Herky Jerky was by far the hardest. After the first week my wife and son almost rebelled, but I gave a speech that would have made Patton proud and we managed to complete the program.
Somewhere in Geoff's writings he mentions that the last set of jerks on the hard day is a real challenge, that is an understatement, it takes every ounce of will to get those bells overhead. It got to the point on the 5 set weeks that we actually feared the 15-17 minutes of pain that the hard day brought, I just wanted the bad man to stop.

Anyway, I did not measure anything specifically, but this is what we all noticed of our results.

Myself: Leaner (I am decently lean and did not eat for fat loss, but it happened), Power definitely increased, hypertrophy in traps, shoulders and arms, increased conditioning, increased general sense of well being.

Wife: Leaner, increased power, increased conditioning

Son: Hypertrophy, power increased, conditioning really increased. My son is a wrestler and we did this program right before the season and it did wonders for his wrestling conditioning. So much so that he can routinely win against kids 20+ lbs heavier than him because he can simply outlast them.

Overall Herky Jerky was outstanding and it makes you LOVE/HATE the jerk, but it is well worth it and we will go back to it in the future. My long term goal is to be able to complete it with double 24kg.

Continuing on our clean and jerk journey, we are currently doing the Giant 3.0 with barbell bolt on. That ends this week and then we are going to do a hybrid of KB Strong (2 days) and Pavel's single arm clean and jerk program (2 days), with barbell bolt on added to the KB Strong days.

So far the jerk has definitely delivered and I am excited to see what spending a lot more time with it will do.

Great!

What is your weight, and which kbs you used?
The same ask for wife and son.

M
Great!

What is your weight, and which kbs you used?
The same ask for wife and son.
Myself: 20kg on easy day and 16kg on other days
Wife: 12kg throughout
Son: 12kg throughout

We determined our weight based off never putting the bells down, which is how it is supposed to be, but for me the 16s seemed so light in the beginning, but once fatigue accumulated jerking became an act of will. I say that to convey that I think there could be great gains by going heavier and being willing to set the bells down periodically while absolutely minimizing rest.

What is your (and other) bodyweight? :)

How look your double Military press?
How much can you press 2x16 and 2x20?

It has been a bit since I completed Herky Jerky and I stated I would write a review, so here it is. We were also doing Geoff's barbell bolt on with the program as well.

Someone on the forum once rated the perceived difficulty of all MKM's programs (BrianCf?) and had Herky Jerky as #2 behind Clean em' Up. My wife, son and I actually did Clean em' Up right before we started Herky Jerky, which was difficult but not impossible, and I assured them that according to SF Herky Jerky would be easier. Lies...all lies. I have done all the higher density programs in MKM and IMHO Herky Jerky was by far the hardest. After the first week my wife and son almost rebelled, but I gave a speech that would have made Patton proud and we managed to complete the program.
Somewhere in Geoff's writings he mentions that the last set of jerks on the hard day is a real challenge, that is an understatement, it takes every ounce of will to get those bells overhead. It got to the point on the 5 set weeks that we actually feared the 15-17 minutes of pain that the hard day brought, I just wanted the bad man to stop.

Anyway, I did not measure anything specifically, but this is what we all noticed of our results.

Myself: Leaner (I am decently lean and did not eat for fat loss, but it happened), Power definitely increased, hypertrophy in traps, shoulders and arms, increased conditioning, increased general sense of well being.

Wife: Leaner, increased power, increased conditioning

Son: Hypertrophy, power increased, conditioning really increased. My son is a wrestler and we did this program right before the season and it did wonders for his wrestling conditioning. So much so that he can routinely win against kids 20+ lbs heavier than him because he can simply outlast them.

Overall Herky Jerky was outstanding and it makes you LOVE/HATE the jerk, but it is well worth it and we will go back to it in the future. My long term goal is to be able to complete it with double 24kg.

Continuing on our clean and jerk journey, we are currently doing the Giant 3.0 with barbell bolt on. That ends this week and then we are going to do a hybrid of KB Strong (2 days) and Pavel's single arm clean and jerk program (2 days), with barbell bolt on added to the KB Strong days.

So far the jerk has definitely delivered and I am excited to see what spending a lot more time with it will do.
Thanks for posting this.

Rep max for single KB or doubles?

I asked, because I thinking about jerk program.

I have similar parameters when it comes to weight and strength. I am very interested in this program. Thank you for the review and details!

Last edited:
I did Hector Gutierrez, Jr's KB Berserk! Focused around DKJ with the final 4 weeks exclusively LCCJ. That was the most brutal 4 weeks of training I've ever done. I remember always being surprised within the span of 1-2 reps the lift would go from manageable to terrible. I kept uttering under my breath, "I hate you Hec. I hate you..."

Yes to all of the benefits above. Hypertrophy more than fat loss because I was eating over maintenance. (Fat loss is always primarily driven by nutrition anyway). I used double 20kgs for the final phase. My final TRM20 @ 20kg. My press went from 2RM @28kg to 1RM @32kg.

It really is an amazing compound lift.

I did couple years ago RMBF.
Now I looking for something with jerk. Not clean and jerk.

Geoff's Herky Jerky or Hector's Enter The Double Kettlebell Jerk.
I have doubles 16, 20, 24.

Rep max for single KB or doubles?

I ask, because I thinking about jerk program.

I have similar parameters when it comes to weight and strength. I am very interested in this program. Thank you for the review and details

Those are all doubles. Singles would probably be few reps higher.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom