all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed EXPERIENCED CEREBRAL PALSY STRONG MAN

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

A Learner always

First Post
Greetings
Dear all,
Happy new year to all
I found post related to cerebral palsy workouts done by great movitators on this forum.
I also have cerebral palsy (spastic type ) so i would request any senior member to advise regarding workout regime.
My legs are mostly affected , but i am independent walking with a limp.
MY main focus is on core ,leg and back
Thank you for accepting me

@A Learner always, please consider working with a StrongFirst Certified Instructor, either in person or long-distance. Given your condition, it would be best, IMO, if your instructor was able to see you, and also able to consult with your medical professionals to plot out a safe, effective course for you.

-S-

Greetings
Dear all,
Happy new year to all
I found post related to cerebral palsy workouts done by great movitators on this forum.
I also have cerebral palsy (spastic type ) so i would request any senior member to advise regarding workout regime.
My legs are mostly affected , but i am independent walking with a limp.
MY main focus is on core ,leg and back
Thank you for accepting me
Back in the late 80s I trained a powerlifting team for the Cerebral Palsy Athletic Association of Louisiana. We were national champs for a few years. Like you, my athletes were mostly affected in the lower body. We competed in the bench press. Most competitions were pretty standard powerlifting rules, using a standard 45lb bar and olympic plates. We did use tie down straps to strap our guys to the bench because they could not put their legs down to stabilize themselves. We trained pretty conventionally really. We stumbled upon a method that was sort of in between starting strength and conjugate periodization, with simple linear periodization for meet prep. Basically we bench pressed twice per week (one heavy day and one lighter day) and had a day of accessory work (no bench pressing , but we did pull downs or pullups, dips, shoulder work, curls etc...). We did lots of volume on heavy day, probably 5-8 sets of bench pressing. Light day was just slightly less volume, but lighter. I felt like we needed lots of volume for skill practice because of how we had to execute the bench pressing (with legs straight out on the bench) and because of a small bit of spasticity. The guys worked really hard. When we approached a meet, we gradually reduced reps, and increased the load until we were doing low volume, but really heavy sets of 2-3 reps. We spent 2-3 weeks at each rep-load level before moving on (i.e., sets of 10, then 8, 6, etc... My experience was that my athletes responded just like anybody else to training, but maybe a bit better because they were motivated and consistent. Good times.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom