all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Experiences with kettlebell mile

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anders

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi,

I was curious about your experience and results with doing the kettlebell mile ?
Have anyone of you tried to do it more than once a week ?
Have you notice any particular results with it ?
Have anyone tried the kettlebell mile with 28 kilo ?

I have tried it around six times. I have tried it with both, 16, 20 and 24. I have not used chalk. Thus far I have noticed it is helping me with posture, because you get quite aware that your posture is bad when you are holding a kettlebell.

The grip is being worked quite heavily, and to some degrees also the legs and obliques. It is quite fun.

I am sometimes doing this two times a week, since this is often my only form of endurance/conditioning I am doing during the week.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts and experiences with the program.

Anders

I've messed with it a bit.
Walking, 3.25 miles with a 12, 2 miles with a 24, 1800m with a 32.
Jogging, 1 mile with a 16 or 24
Walking I can do more than once a week, as well as jogging with a 16. Have not tried jogging a mile with a 24 more than 1 x a week.
No chalk, but I carried a towel with me on the 24 jogs when it was 100F plus out. Grip is a factor in the heat with a bigger bell, non factor with 16kg or less.
Enjoyable work out, good buzz, and the 24 or 32 will get me sore from top to bottom.

I don’t plan it, but when the weather is good and I have spare time in the week I’ll do it. I don’t time it, as my main focus is getting to timeless simple, but plan on trying to bring the time down when I finish simple.

I really like carries, I think they’re great. Need to do more

I did it once a few years back when Mike first put the idea out there. I used a 24 or 28 (can’t really remember) My obliques were sore the next day for sure, but I didn’t find it overly taxing in the grip, or in the ‘cardio’ department, as I recall. Fun as a novelty, and I can see the appeal to some folks, but for me adds nothing to my lifestyle activities so I never pursued it.

I'd also be interested to be hear any comparisons with longer walks with lighter weight Vs shorter walks with heavier weights.
For me the longer walks with a smaller bell were a boredom thing, 2nd session for the day, something to do, and could daydream during. The size of a 24 or larger will change my gait a bit, and force more of a breathe behind the shield mentality for the duration, especially when jogging.

Last edited:
I’ve just started doing this as an early morning stroll at work. I get in earlier than others and have paced out sections of the building for when I can swap hands - too much to do the whole route in one go for me as yet. Feels like an easy calm way to start the day but exercising and also checking emails in the other hand or just with a podcast on!

I am about to do my 4th training with my 36kg kettlebell. I only had to put it down 3 times at my current half mile distance. I am floored at how much improvement I've been able to make in just a few weeks. Firstly, the euphoria from the event basically lasts the rest of the day. Second, my upper back is growing freaky, even my chin ups feel much stronger. Third, my grip is getting way better.

Because I've been noticing body recomposition, I am starting to wonder how long it will take training with the 36kg before it starts to be closer to 35% of bodyweight instead of currently being 20-22%... Needless to say, I am very pleased with this addition to my workouts, even though I am just starting the journey.

I really like carries. I generally don’t plan them, just do the mile when I have time and mild weather. Its been a while, if we ever get back to normal summer weather I’ll get back out there.

I recently joined a group in my area that meets for a two-mile loaded carry walk every Saturday morning. I started with a 16kg bell, but after two sessions that already feels too easy, so I'll take a 20kg bell next time. A lot of the other guys carry 40kg sandbags on their shoulders. The time goes pretty fast when you're conversing with others!

I’ve done the 24k and love it! I have uneven hips and i personally think it helps a lot with my gait (i believe that is the main purpose of this protocol). I just started doing shorter carries again along with crawling, dead bugs, and more general marching. I’m more uneven than ever coming off a broken foot , look forward to working my back up to it. Kettlebell mile again, here is the old thread, had a lot of good stuff in it, along woth all of @Don Fairbanks stuff.

Am unable to do a mile. 250 yards with 20kg is my limit then I need to either change hands or put it down Will try again starting at 12kg and work my way up. Am amazed at people going up to 40kg as discussed above.
1800m walking with the 32 I switched hands every 100m for the first 1000m then switched hands every 50m for the next 800m. 3200m with the 24 I switched hands every 100m.
Jogging with the 24 I switched hands every 60 or 80 steps.
I switch hands as necessary. Only rules I follow are no stopping or setting bell down.

Am unable to do a mile. 250 yards with 20kg is my limit then I need to either change hands or put it down Will try again starting at 12kg and work my way up. Am amazed at people going up to 40kg as discussed above.
I’m amazed people jog with any weight kettlebell. Walk, sure, but jogging with one is next level

My experience with doing kettlebell mile with 24 kilo is that it is quite hard. I combined 24 kilo kettlebell mile with the Pavel´s pull up program. The result was some pain on the inside of the forearms. Even though I have worked for quite some years with kettlebells, I think I might have rushed it a bit when I started relatively quickly to do the kettlebell mile with 24.

When my forearm is healed again I will start with 16 and 20. I would say that at least for some of us a kettlebell mile with 24 might be a bit too much right now...

Don’t underestimate the 24kg, just because it has a good handle to carry it doesn’t mean it is an easy bell to carry, especially for a mile!

24kg is roughly the equivalent of a (largish) sack of animal feed, how many people do you know that would carry that for a mile, let alone in one hand? (I know, form factor and all, but weight is weight)

Maybe a better example, it is also probably what most people’s check-in (not carry-on) suitcase weighs, how often have you carried (not pulled on its rollers, carried) a fully loaded suitcase for a mile?

There’s nothing wrong with starting lighter, and building up to it! 24kg is 24kg :)

I did it a few times once the articles appeared, did it with a 24 along hedgerows/trail. Good workout, swapped hands very regularly but was able to keep shuffling and not put it down.

Grip is the big limiting factor, if you can control the KB whilst shuffling/running, it’s fine. After that, it’s a lung buster much like the better Combat PT sessions you might experience in the military (never ending discomfort with no real understanding of why!)

I have been off them for a couple of months but they’re reprogrammed soon.

Pull up program plus kettlebell mile sounds brutal! That’s a lot of strain on the hand flexors.
Yes, have done something similar, did a set of pulls and then jogged a 400m with a #26, 8 rounds. Breaks where built in with a 50 m walk to the pull up bar after the 400m.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom