all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Experiences with kettlebell mile

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Dan john’s “eagle” looks like a pretty awful, I mean awesome challenge. 8 x dbl kb front squats, then 50m carry, then repeat. Total of 8 sets, so 64 front squats and 400m walk without putting the bells down. He recommends 24kg. I have no chance of doing that. I do have 16kg x 2. I’d like to at least try it. I don’t even know if I’d get through dbl 16’s haha.

I've been following this thread and have liked the idea of The Kettlebell Mile since reading the article last year.
What I'm struggling with is the idea of my neighbours and their potential perception that I am doing something out of the ordinary.
I appreciate this could be thrown back at me as something I need to work on psychologically however I was wondering whether or not this has been an issue worth remarking on by anyone yet?

Are you all just as bold as brass? Or am I missing something please?

I've been following this thread and have liked the idea of The Kettlebell Mile since reading the article last year.
What I'm struggling with is the idea of my neighbours and their potential perception that I am doing something out of the ordinary.
I appreciate this could be thrown back at me as something I need to work on psychologically however I was wondering whether or not this has been an issue worth remarking on by anyone yet?

I am doing my exercises at a big green area where people are doing the jogging. I am also crossing a big street and a bus-stop on my way to this green area. And finally I get out of my apartment house while carrying my purple kettlebell. Nobody has said anything. Remember people are busy with more important thing than your training. Most people I cross on my way with the kettlebell are super busy with their mobiles, staring intensely into the screen. They don't look up. I also think that normal curiosity is not something that is that prevalent these days. One person mentioned to his body: "Oh, walking/running with a kettlebell, that is quite impressive." Other than that, no response at all. That said I live in the capital of Norway, almost 600 000 people living here, and nobody cares about what kind of weird stuff you do. If it had been a small town, then maybe. You can try to carry the kettlebell in a plastic bag. I do that when I buy a new kettlebell.

Important thing to do when you do the kettlebell mile is to listen to your body and to your forearms. Push them gently, but don't push them over the edge. If you do, you might have to pay for it by them being injured...I know from experience...Seriously consider starting the kettlebell mile with 16 or 20.

I've been asked what I was doing. They were curious by the spectacle. Now my neighbors don't look at me twice, except to wave or to come over and talk.

If you're nervous about neighbors, take your bell to a park and do it. More anonymity. A couple parks I've lived near had outdoor fitness set ups (similar to a parcourse). If you find one of with those, no one will think twice about what you're doing - unless they're interested in doing it too.

" It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society . "
------- Jiddu Krishnamurti

Carry On.

I wear Viking horns, a g string and nothing else. It stops the weird questions about walking with a kettlebell. In fact, no one comes anywhere near me.

Just kidding, I don’t have Viking horns. I do it at the local sports grounds during the week. There’s no one around. A soccer field here is 100m long so I use that as my guide, 16 x up and down is a mile.

I live in Chicago and walk around my heavily populated neighborhood with it. I get some looks but not much else (we’ve all seen way weirder s*** here). I agree that most people are likely trapped within their own bubble. I try to be aware of my surroundings, but we’re all guilty of staring at our phones when we shouldn’t be.
When the pandemic first hit i had a 16k, 20k, a jumprope, and a keg with some sand in it. Used it all in my extremely small concrete patch of a front yard, and quickly became known in the neighborhood as the guy who does “prison” workouts. I took it as a term of endearment. I’m glad to have since converted my enclosed back porch as my space to train though honestly.

Only times people have commented on me doing something “odd” I was coaching a team through OAPUs and HSPUs when deployed. The next day we were getting stopped by people at breakfast who had seen us saying it was awesome.

I like being awesome, and I like other people telling me it. Feels good. Try it.

Sometimes I do the mile in my front yard, sometimes on the Phoenix canal system. The last time on the canal was in the summer, 11:17 mile with a 24. Received several " nice jobs " and one loud HOORAH ! by a guy riding towards me on his bike.

I heard them, but was preoccupied and not in a conversational mood.

Last edited:
@Don Fairbanks - Thanks for the "swap hands" tip ......... today = 1800metres = 1mile & a tadge with 20kg kettlebell .........swapped hands every 100 paces as per your advice ....... worked just fine ...... 16kg next time (sore traps afterwards).

Does anyone do this regularly using light day medium day heavy day strategy ? Or is this sort of thing best done same weight most days then you'd change the loading by doing 1/3mile 2/3mile 1mile ?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I tried my first kb mile ever last saturday. The gym was closed (they have their schedule) so I I thought "why not?" so I took my 20 kg (I weight 86 kg) and started walking 35 secs per hand, 35 secs rest. Last sets I did some jogging so my hr raised to 137, a little bit over the limit according to Maffetone formula. 29 min total. I tried to keep a good breathing pattern througout the session (even trying to breath too little) and a good posture.
I met some people, but nobody seemed to care about what I was doing. Next day I was a little sore on my traps, but that was all. Overall thinking is that it was a great recovery session. I have no rush to do it without parking the kb. If it ever comes, it will be over time. I think I will continue including this in my schedule as a light session.

@Don Fairbanks - Thanks for the "swap hands" tip ......... today = 1800metres = 1mile & a tadge with 20kg kettlebell .........swapped hands every 100 paces as per your advice ....... worked just fine ...... 16kg next time (sore traps afterwards).

Does anyone do this regularly using light day medium day heavy day strategy ? Or is this sort of thing best done same weight most days then you'd change the loading by doing 1/3mile 2/3mile 1mile ?
Bill, you're welcome.
Your question. I started by going off the Mike Prevost kettlebell mile article, a bell at 20-35 % of your bodyweight once a week. I have gone more frequently with bells smaller than a 24, but usually walking and not jogging. For me, close to 58, the jogging 24 once a week is plenty.

I've been practising the KB Mile for about one year (2-3x a month) with 24kg in my neighbourhood.
I enjoy doing it because it is so much different than usual workouts.
I've been doing it for some time before going to my football (soccer) game or practise but I've been noticing that I was way less energized on the pitch when doing the KB mile a few hours before.
Now the KB mile is the only workout of the day when I do it.

I don't know how much it has helped me playing football but I definitely find it helpful for carrying my kid (2yo) for some distance.
We went to the zoo last week and I kept him for nearly 1h30 in my arms quite easily.

Are you all just as bold as brass?
Oh, I think I'd better not answer. :)

Alright, I'll answer: I am completely unapologetic in my exercise. I do some on my front porch - we live in small town in a small (for our town) house on a small lot, so I get gawked at from the sidewalk from time to time. That's their problem, not mine. I once did a 12-minute headstand in my front yard.

The best ones, though, are me training for the Inman Mile by walking down the street with a 7-foot barbell across my shoulders, my wife behind me fending off the traffic (which, fortunately, isn't much, but, well, you get the idea). I can't do it on the sidewalks because there are too many trees, street signs, and the like in the way.

I do most of my training in my basement gym these days because I'm training for another PL meet, but my five-year plan calls for me to switch to mostly USAWA training and competitions after that, and I'll be outside again, giving the neighbors something to talk about. :)

-S-

My grip can't really go for much longer than 5 -10 minutes with a 24kg bell.

Should I rack it for a carry or just do the 5 minutes and call it quits ?

My grip can't really go for much longer than 5 -10 minutes with a 24kg bell.

Should I rack it for a carry or just do the 5 minutes and call it quits ?
I like your idea of utilizing a rack carry, too. Especially since grip strength is not my main motivation for the KB mile. Don't know it affects the gait rehab attribute of the side hang carry, though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom