all posts post new thread

Nutrition Experiment with beer, carb blockers and keto

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LukeV

Level 7 Valued Member
My diet has improved while my beer consumption increased in lockdown. I am eating clean home-cooked meals on an anti-inflammatory bent so avoiding sugar and processed grains and moderating consumption of starchy vegetables. I am eating some banana, whole grain rice and potato. I know I am consuming around 80 grams daily of carbs from beer. And I estimate around 40 grams of carbs from other sources.

I was worried about putting on weight from the beer and I had an unused container of Phase 2 carb blockers in the cupboard. Carb blockers use a white bean extract to block the digestion of some dietary carbs - they claimed weight loss benefits years ago but I don't think evidentially the claims ever stacked up. Anyway I had nothing to lose and time on my hands so I am taking 1.5g of Phase 2 (three pills) before my evening meal, which is when I eat most carbs and start drinking beer.

After six days I felt like I was entering ketosis, and this was subsequently confirmed when I went out and bought some Ketostix. I am testing positive for ketosis every day - not always first thing in the morning, some times later after exercise.

I've followed ketogenic dieting many times and know reliably how much daily carbohydrate gets me and keeps me there. My current diet is far too high in carbs to explain the ketosis except for the action of the carb blocker. I am wondering whether the white bean extract has a greater blocking effect where the carbs are liquid like beer. Interesting outcome so I thought I would pass it on.

Last edited:
I know very little about carb blockers and how they work. I would speculate though, if you don’t digest the carbs in you gut, something else will. Bad gut flora, candida & clostridium, may get out of hand and you may experience some level of gut dysbiosis. You may want to look up the effects from that. None of them good.

Just something to think about.

If you don't know anything about something, why speculate on it?

Great point. Why didn't you do that?

Frankly, I didn't think it was worth the time, but I took the bait and typed it google. Apparently, they block some the enzymes from breaking down some of the complex carbs.

This data only solidifies my "speculation" on their contribution to bad flora overgrowth in the gut.

thanks for calling me out on that.;)

After six days I felt like I was entering ketosis, and this was subsequently confirmed when I went out and bought some Ketostix.

Ketostix Are Unreliable

Ketostix are cheap and initially may work.

However, they have proven to be unreliable.

I initially used them when I began the Ketogenic Diet, July 2016.

Over time, I found them to be erratic. The only thing consistent with the Ketostix was their inconsistency.

Research information has came to the same conclusion.

As the article below notes, the most effective method is in measuring blood ketones.

This article does a nice job of going into it in more depth. As per the article...

What is the Best Way To Measure Ketosis?
This question has no clear answer, and it depends on what you’re looking for.
  • Ketone Urine Strips: Very cheap but low in accuracy compared to the alternatives
  • Blood Meters: Highest degree of accuracy at the highest price
  • Breath Ketone Analyzer: Expensive, but you only pay once since it needs no ketone strips. Probably somewhere in the middle when it comes to accuracy.

they claimed weight loss benefits years ago but I don't think evidentially the claims ever stacked up.

Great Topic

This is an interesting to topic.

Evidently, there is evidence that indicates Carb Blocker has some benefits

Here's some Cliff Notes on this article...

Carb Blockers 101: Are They Worth Your Time and Money? | Ruled Me

...Effective at blocking carb digestion by inhibiting the action of different carb-specific enzymes. This means that some carbs will pass through the digestive tract as if they were fiber, helping to improve blood sugar control and boost weight loss in people who derive the bulk of their calories from starchy foods and other complex carbs (not processed foods with simple sugars).

(Important caveat: carb blockers do not prevent the absorption of simple sugars such as table sugar, fruit juice, sweetened beverages, and corn syrup.)

...Let’s look at the science to see how well they work. Unfortunately, the research indicates that they don’t keep you from digesting every carb you eat.

At best, carb blockers appear to block 50–65% of carb-digesting enzymes. However, inhibiting these enzymes does not necessarily mean the same proportion of carbs will be blocked.

One study
examining a potent amylase inhibitor found that it only prevented 7% of the carbs from being absorbed (despite the fact that it can inhibit 97% of the amylase enzyme).

This may happen because carb blockers don’t directly prevent carbs from being absorbed. They may simply increase the amount of time it takes for the enzymes to digest them. Other reasons for the lack of effectiveness may be explained by the fact that the binding process of the inhibitor to the amylase enzyme is highly influenced by pH, temperature, and co-ingestion with particular ions.

...The average weight loss in groups that took white kidney bean extract was roughly 1.77 kg (3.89 lbs) more than control groups. A further meta-analysis revealed a statistically significant reduction in body fat of 1.86 kg (4.09 lbs) more than control groups.

...Carb blockers do help with weight loss, but only by a modest amount in people who are eating starch-rich diets. To lose weight sustainably in the long run, it is best to ditch the carb blocker and invest your time and money in a diet that helps you maintain a calorie deficit instead.

...Carb blockers...also function to improve blood sugar levels...

Longer term trials
suggest that these changes translate to an overall decrease in pre-meal blood sugar and HbA1C levels (a key measure of blood sugar control) in patients with type 2 diabetes.

Found to slow stomach emptying after a meal, which further contributes to increased satiety and improved blood sugar control.

...Studies
have found a correlation between resistant starch and decreased body fat, healthier gut bacteria, and improved blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity. Additionally, resistant starches may help increase the amount of fat your body burns after a meal.

...Side effects like lowering blood sugar, diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramping, and gas. ...Vary depending on the frequency and amount you use...

,...It’s not that magic weight loss supplement that we’ve been hoping for.

And while several studies prove that carb blockers will help you lose weight, it isn’t a supplement that will give you consistent results.

Carb blockers can
help us improve our gut health, reduce our appetite, and maintain healthy blood sugar levels...

Last edited:
(Important caveat: carb blockers do not prevent the absorption of simple sugars such as table sugar, fruit juice, sweetened beverages, and corn syrup.)
Correct. Monosaccharides are readily absorbed by the digestive system and need no further breakdown.

Polysaccharides & Disaccharides need to be broken down into monosaccharides by enzymes to be used. If they don't get broken down and used by the digestive system they are passed downstream into the intestine and will basically feed opportunistic gut flora.

...Side effects like lowering blood sugar, diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramping, and gas. ...Vary depending on the frequency and amount you use...
These are some of the symptoms of bacterial overgrowth which can lead to more severe issues over time.

Here's an overview on this:
Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth A Comprehensive Review

This article is an overview on overgrowth in general, and does not really explain the different types of flora and all the benefits of the good flora and how it can be balanced.

I just get kind of worried when we come up with hacks that disable a natural processes in our bodies.

The typical inaccuracy with Ketostix is false negatives - you can be in Ketosis but have insufficient ketones present in urine for detection. I am not aware of Ketostix providing false positives and couldn't even guess what the mechanism for that would be. I see the article suggests dehydration as one cause but Ketostix detect ketones that are present. They do that reliably. So how could ketones be present in urine if someone was not in Ketosis?

My point is more that the carb blockers appear - at least in my case - to allow you to remain in Ketosis while consuming a higher level of carbohydrate. In my case most carbohydrate is coming in liquid form (beer) and that may be significant. Carb blockers could be useful for people who want to maintain Ketosis through periods of carbohydrate binges, such as a night out at the pub.

Huh, so if I’m reading this right it is the same concept of the Allī pill from a while ago.
Just made for keto instead of low fat people!

My beer consumption is up about 500% this lockdown. Hitting some good lifts though.

For a range of reasons that include beer consumption during lockdown, I've put on about six kilograms this year. An interesting side effect is to see my weight lifting performance increase. I am definitely stronger when I am fatter

For a range of reasons that include beer consumption during lockdown, I've put on about six kilograms this year. An interesting side effect is to see my weight lifting performance increase. I am definitely stronger when I am fatter
For sure you can lift more beer mug ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom