all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Explosive Pull Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello!

I was curious if anyone has ever trained pull-ups explosively. For example, instead of performing sets of 10, one could perform sets of 2-3 explosively with plenty of rest in between. This could possibly be done in an A+A format. If you have trained explosive pull-ups, how was it? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you!

I'm not strong enough at pullups but I've seen one guy switch grips at the top of each rep. That seems like it would be fun.

Yes, with no equipment, there’s really no way to do a dynamic pull for the upper body then explosive chins. And yes, hollow body chins are performed with much more static contraction or full body tension similar to gymnastic pushups.

I used to train at an outdoor gym in a local park and they had a pull-up bar mounted in a frame so that the pull-up bar was about 18" below the top bar of the apparatus (picture a large lower case 'n' with a bar running between the vertical uprights close to the top).
I would do an explosive pull-up on the lower bar and then reach up and grap the top of the frame to do another, drop back down, catch the lower bar and repeat. It was fun.

I used to train at an outdoor gym in a local park and they had a pull-up bar mounted in a frame so that the pull-up bar was about 18" below the top bar of the apparatus (picture a large lower case 'n' with a bar running between the vertical uprights close to the top).
I would do an explosive pull-up on the lower bar and then reach up and grap the top of the frame to do another, drop back down, catch the lower bar and repeat. It was fun.

that sounds quite fun!

You can develop explosive pulling power by doing a clap at the top of the bar, that will force you to get as much height with momentum(created through your own strength, not kip). I've seen guys do behind the back clap pull ups also on youtube.. obviously requiring more explosive power.. You know you're explosive when you can bring the bar to your chest or even the abdomen...

In my opinion, when you're in the 15-20 rep range, you should be able to do a few explosive pull ups to the chest.

I train all my pull ups explosively. Is there another way to do them? ?

If you want to make yourself really sore, pause at the sticking point for a count of three on the way up and on the way down. Might make for an interesting change of pace.
Have you ever tried weighted pull-ups? If you enjoy grinding reps, those are a blast.

If you want to make yourself really sore, pause at the sticking point for a count of three on the way up and on the way down. Might make for an interesting change of pace.
Have you ever tried weighted pull-ups? If you enjoy grinding reps, those are a blast.

Yes I love weighted pull ups. I still do these explosively though. For clarification by explosive I mean pulling as hard and as fast as possible touching my chest to the bar. I no longer count my pull ups as pull ups if my chest doesn’t touch the bar. I try stay away from reps that are too heavy to do this way as I find recovery demand is higher.

May have to try the added isometric. Might be good now I can’t do weighted pull ups for awhile.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom