all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I did today:

1X5 bodyweight squats for a wee little mobility warmup
2h swings with the 40kg
4X6 1h swings with the 40kg
5X2 Turkish Getups with the 16kg (hahaha - so light, but I DID THEM!!!)

I did the whole S&S routine with the 32kg bell today. I think my shoulder is almost back to normal, probably going to be even stronger now!

This is an exciting relief! I need kettlebell training for my judo to work for me. Also, kettlebells are super fun and I like being strong and fortified against ailments.

Having experienced life for a few months without the capacity to lift my right arm above my shoulder, I am now compensating for this by doing quite a lot of pressing! I was able to do three presses in a row with each arm today using the 32kg kettlebell. We'll see how far I can get. I think the challenge is to be able to do at least one press of half my bodyweight, which is technically 50kg, but I'll allow the 48kg bell to count. Pressing takes almost no time, and really no sweat. I've been training mainly with the 24kg bell.

I've started doing snatches too. Shifting from a swinging motion to a rigid holding posture overhead is an interesting mixture of both the big pull and the big push muscular systems in the body. Compared with swings, it can be slowed down as much as I like, so it's less of a cardio-vascular, sweaty thing. I get lots of cardio from judo training, LOTS. I'm looking for (and finding) low/no cardio moves since I really have enough cardio in the week, OMG!

While healing up very well and I expect 100% in the new year sometime, I am still bummed at being uncomfortable in any overhead pressing movement, meaning I can't keep up with regular S&S these days.

To compensate, I've been doing a lot of barbell curls with 90lbs, and I've certainly experienced some "what the heck" qualities with it, including lots of development in my core, back and shoulders that I didn't expect. For now it's just the curl I'm doing with the barbell, but who knows, I might end up getting pulled into following that Power to the People system sooner or later! I already have had the book for a long time. Otherwise, I'm doing presses and swings, 1 handed mainly.

Sinister is certainly still my goal to attain and maintain. I'm hoping my current cross training will enable me to jump back into it at the right time when my shoulder is near 100% again.

These days it`s mainly barbell curls with 90lbs, 1h swings with the 32kg and 2h swings with the 40kg.

My strategy is going to be to do S&S at the 32kg level daily, but also to add additional GTG style reps of the exact same moves as in S&S at other times in the day, as the 32kg is an effective weight for me but not a truly challenging one. I expect that with high volume like this at a lighter weight that my neurons will better learn the movements and I will be able therefore to handle the 48kg bell later on.

There is nothing like S&S. Nothing.

Glad to hear. Good that you've managed to tune it for your needs.

I switched to New Program Minimum from the book Enter The Kettlebell. S&S was too much for me. I've done the PM in the past thou, so it wasn't new approach to me. I have issues, so this is kinda easier and helps time constraints etc.

Glad to hear. Good that you've managed to tune it for your needs.

I switched to New Program Minimum from the book Enter The Kettlebell. S&S was too much for me. I've done the PM in the past thou, so it wasn't new approach to me. I have issues, so this is kinda easier and helps time constraints etc.
That's the thing. I get so much cardio (and spend so much time) doing judo that S&S is a bit much for most days whereas high weight low rep stuff with deadlifts and military kettlebell presses don't eat up time nor cover me in sweat.

Kozushi, I just read your training logs today, wow!
I am struck by your strength and humility.

Thank you for posting these.

Kozushi, I just read your training logs today, wow!
I am struck by your strength and humility.

Thank you for posting these.
Humility? I think I'm a pompous bastard! That's an interesting observation! Hahaha! :)

As for strength - I'm only doing sets of deadlifts at the 300lbs mark right now which is a bit under my 1.5 bodyweight. It seems quite light compared to what I ought to be doing, reading what others are up to. However, it's giving me the strength I need for judo and for living without aches and pains and with good circulation and respiration. It's so simple yet so effective!

Also regarding my strength. I have done a set of 3 getups with the 48kg kettlebell, so that's my maximum ever with that, but I have never pressed more than the 32kg kettlebell, mind you I used to be able to do it 5 or 6 times in a row - now only twice.

In any case, I trust that the SF goals are reasonable and attainable and worthwhile, so I aim for them:

1. S&S with the 48kg bell in under 30 minutes.
2. half bodyweight press.
3. 5 reps with 330lbs deadlift (1.5 bodyweight) - I'm sure I can already do this though as I'm doing it no problem with the 30lbs.
4. 1 rep with 450lbs deadlift.

I think the snatch test is insane - very interesting though and I'll get into that at some point too.

When I've gotten the strength I need, I'll show loyalty to Strong First by trying to test for some certifications. But, like my judo black belt, there is a time for that, when I feel I have truly mastered the skills.

I did my 2 sets of 5 with 330lbs today. It's good I tried that, since I found that it's a bit past the right weight for me right now, which is 300lbs. I noticed with the 330lbs that I felt kind of sore in several places, and that I had to switch over to the over-under grips after a few reps.

I did 3 reps of pressing each hand with the 32kg kettlebell today. Like the PTTP book says, the guy who could deadlift over 1000 lbs couldn't bench press even half his weight. They are different skills. In any case, free weights are fantastic, and great preparation for judo.

Hello,

@Kozushi
Did you already try single leg deadlifts ? They are just fantastic to build some lats and anti-twist. Plus, they also work a lot on balance, which is always "useful". Some reps in addition to your already existing DL program will make you an even stronger judo winning machine ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
Did you already try single leg deadlifts ? They are just fantastic to build some lats and anti-twist. Plus, they also work a lot on balance, which is always "useful". Some reps in addition to your already existing DL program will make you an even stronger judo winning machine ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
It's part of the training at the club, actually, hahaha!

I did S&S today with the 32kg bell, starting with 2 big sets of 20 swings each arm, then going into the rest of S&S as normal. I also did several deadlifts at 300lbs, and a bunch of presses with the 24kg bell.

As my right shoulder continues to heal, I am getting more and more excited about progressing back to the 40kg bell for S&S and then ideally onto Sinister, which I'll get in shape for proving to Strong First.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom