all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Pressing is now part of my daily exercise: 5 sets a day per arm. Right now it's sets of 3 with the 32. S&S made me strong enough to handle pressing.

Hello,

@Kozushi
Do you add this to your regular S&S session ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
No, S&S is a full, exhausting exercise. I have little power left after it. My pressing work happens hours later. 40kg S&S is quite a different thing from 32kg S&S. It's already a hard workout, but I'm finding that pressing is something that's fun which I can do at another time of the day and it's not hard yet wields great results. I am also not too worried about doing all my swings 1 handed anymore, since I'm now at the stage of creating my own workout, slowly, based on S&S and other Pavel ideas.

I shovelled 1 meter of snow out of my driveway and sidewalk for a few hours today. Strangely, because of my S&S training, other than feeling a wee bit sore in the shoulders I'm otherwise fine and feel rather fresh actually, and I plan to do S&S later (which will tire me out for the time being of course).

I'm starting to realize that S&S for the past 13 months has turned me into a different organism. I went from some kind of weak creature to some kind of heroic one.

I've been developing my Naked Warrior moves alongside S&S daily for the past week or so and I'm getting somewhere. When I started them last week I couldn't do them really at all. Now I'm doing 5 1h pushups in a row now and while my pistol squats are still only half way down, I'm keeping my balance nicely and getting something out of them.

1h pushups for me are something like bench pressing 140kg, since I'm loading 70kg onto one arm with the 1h pushup. I wouldn't dare actually bench press 140kg because of safety concerns and I don't have anywhere in my house I would want to put a big bench press station.

I'm very happy for having bought the Naked Warrior book last year. Also, having an educational background in the Greco-Roman classics, I quite enjoy the fact that I'm using the wisdom of the Ancient World in my workouts!

Hello,

@Kozushi
Congratulations for your performance !

1H diver push ups can also be interesting to vary a little. OAP using SF standard for mastering tension, 1H diver push up to get flexibility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
Congratulations for your performance !

1H diver push ups can also be interesting to vary a little. OAP using SF standard for mastering tension, 1H diver push up to get flexibility.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Let's just put it this way; it's clear to me that the one arm pushup is much superior to any kind of clean and press with a kettlebell. Also, the pistol is superior to the goblet squat.

I'm determined to restart S&S today. I've been doing only Naked Warrior for the past week, aiming for 5 sets of 5 one arm pushups and one leg squats a day (the squats are still only half squats, but definitely part of the progressions in the book.)

I believe my pushing muscles all over my body are far stronger than with S&S, FAR stronger. My pulling muscles are definitely weaker but not as bad as I thought they'd be since I'm aware that pulling muscles also use pushing muscles on the other side of the body to stabilize.

This is workin' out REAL GOOD!

Only doing Naked Warrior for over a week I was feeling sick from lack of cardio. I did my S&S routine this morning before work and this reset my health. I'll do NW tonight. I'm following both programmes at once.

Only 100 swings and 10 getups in an S&S session and no other strength moves. Adding stuff on weakened my power and softened the entire workout. Some stretches and weightless prying squats and stuff beforehand to kind of stretch and then right in S&S and only S&S.

Later in the day, Naked Warrior.

I've been sick and on medicine for almost a week now. I did S&S Sunday but that was it. Otherwise I did some NW training: yesterday it was 40 one arm pushups in sets of 5 and a few sets of 5 half pistols.

NW does definitely leave parts of the body undeveloped - importantly and especially the ENTIRE back chain of pulling muscles! Yikes! However, it definitely does what it's supposed to do VERY very well in very little time!

I might wimp out and do some of the swing sets 2 handed today. I've missed almost all of the last week of S&S being sick, so when I last did the full S&S routine (on Sunday) it took over 45 minutes. We'll see what happens tonight I guess. If I get a bit impatient I'll finish the 100 with 2h swings.

I think it's also time to restart judo or something similar, if only on a "drop in" occasional basis. Quitting something entirely that has been a big part of your life forever is dumb.

Last evening I did 80 2h swings and 20 1h swings, 10 TGUs, for my slightly hacked S&S workout, then went to an excellent BJJ class and got I figure about 75 minutes of pretty intense exercise out of it.

It's cool how the BJJ stuff is exactly what I'm doing in S&S in terms of my own movements.

Mate I've noticed a bit of a recurring theme over the last month or so. You've mentioned a couple of times feeling sick or weak. Is there a chance you're using a weight that's to heavy?
No, S&S is a full, exhausting exercise. I have little power left after it
This is not how I think the routine is supposed to leave you even with the heavy bells. I can swing the 40 with 1 hand when I try, but don't often try. I use the 32 & work on technique & fine tune the many nuances of the lifts. Sometimes when we chase weights we miss out on the beauty of the journey. I personally like to stay with a weight as long as possible & milk it dry before moving on, then when I do move on it's not as taxing. Some wise person mentioned in a thread that the strongfirst exercises are narrow but deep, spend some time digging deeper into each move & you may be even more surprised by the results.

Mate I've noticed a bit of a recurring theme over the last month or so. You've mentioned a couple of times feeling sick or weak. Is there a chance you're using a weight that's to heavy?.
This is not how I think the routine is supposed to leave you even with the heavy bells. I can swing the 40 with 1 hand when I try, but don't often try. I use the 32 & work on technique & fine tune the many nuances of the lifts. Sometimes when we chase weights we miss out on the beauty of the journey. I personally like to stay with a weight as long as possible & milk it dry before moving on, then when I do move on it's not as taxing. Some wise person mentioned in a thread that the strongfirst exercises are narrow but deep, spend some time digging deeper into each move & you may be even more surprised by the results.
Thank you. I think I need to be humble and just accept that I'm only at the 32 for the 1h swings. For the TGUs the 40 is fine. I definitely am committing the sin of "chasing weight" in that I don't want to just be "average" at anything. While my ego doesn't need to get to the 48 Sinister level, it does need to be above the mere 32 Simple level. Time to compromise with my ego! :)

It's true, while I certainly can and do in fact do the whole S&S routine with the 40kg bell, I have to wait quite a long time between sets for the swings, so long in fact that I think I'm compromizing my ability to get a good workout out of it. Today, because I was thinking this, I did just 2 sets of 1h swings with the 40 and then did the rest 2 handed, and got all the swings done in far under 15 minutes. Coincidentally, I later on did 2 sets of 20 1h swings with the 32. How can it be that the 32 is SO EASY and the 40 SO HARD??? That's really weird!!!

I really appreciate your taking the time to share this wisdom with me. What I should do then, I suppose is to do the swings all with the 32 and the getups with the 40. I've been struggling with the 40kg swings since September last year, so for 8 months so far. Something tells me that I'm plateauing. This is actually a good thing if it's really as far as I can get - I can stay in shape without having to move up in weight. We'll see I guess! :)

To be honest I don't think swinging the 40 is as far as you get. You've definitely got the sinister gaols in you I'm certain of that. You moved through the weight progressions quickly & seen changes in body composition then got yourself a bit excited. S&s is like a drug, you got that first hit & high then wanted more & more until you hit the wall. I've noticed you can be quick to dismiss the lighter bells as to easy & a waste of your time, but I think this is just your eagerness to progress further. The lighter bells are great opportunities to really perfect technique, which is something even the bell masters still regularly do. My advice would be to stick with the 32 1 hand swings as long as you can bear it. Occasionally throw in a set of 1 hand 40. The 32 will let your body build up energy again. Recharge to the point of bursting, get your momentum back again then make the push for the next weight. @Pavel Macek weighs about as much as one of your legs & look what he's lifting, he often says that patience & working on technique was the key. I'll repeat, you've got sinister in you if you want it. Just slow down & enjoy your ride there. You don't have to get there tomorrow.

To be honest I don't think swinging the 40 is as far as you get. You've definitely got the sinister gaols in you I'm certain of that. You moved through the weight progressions quickly & seen changes in body composition then got yourself a bit excited. S&s is like a drug, you got that first hit & high then wanted more & more until you hit the wall. I've noticed you can be quick to dismiss the lighter bells as to easy & a waste of your time, but I think this is just your eagerness to progress further. The lighter bells are great opportunities to really perfect technique, which is something even the bell masters still regularly do. My advice would be to stick with the 32 1 hand swings as long as you can bear it. Occasionally throw in a set of 1 hand 40. The 32 will let your body build up energy again. Recharge to the point of bursting, get your momentum back again then make the push for the next weight. @Pavel Macek weighs about as much as one of your legs & look what he's lifting, he often says that patience & working on technique was the key. I'll repeat, you've got sinister in you if you want it. Just slow down & enjoy your ride there. You don't have to get there tomorrow.
Okay. Thank you. This is the power of the internet and the power of your kindness to take the time to advise me. Reverting to the 32kg is against my instincts which is why I need to follow your advice and do it! Two other experts have supported your assessment of the situation. I will follow it exactly. I followed the S&S programme "blindly" to begin with, doing two ridiculous looking exercises, and a mere two only at that, and look what it has done for me! I'm crushingly strong! (I just HAD to restart judo and BJJ recently with my new found strength, hehehehe. It's really amazing to be THAT much stronger than everyone! This website is my secret.) I also believe you all that I can get to Sinister, even though it looks as insane a goal as reaching Simple looked like a mere year ago! You know, it's one thing to theorize about being strong and imagining it, like I did a year ago, and quite another to really BE strong, in this real world! There are LOTS of things I can use my strength for, and you can bet that athletics figures into this, hehehe! This S&S programme doesn't just make you fit but insanely strong, and without all the expensive gym equipment I thought I'd have to buy! I'm sure it is not just my muscles that are strengthened but my bones, tendons, ligaments, and whatever else is there, including pathways inside my brain!

You're welcome. Often you can see things a lot clearer when looking from the outside in. You're potential is obvious, I could just see you were getting in your own way a little bit via your enthusiasm to improve. I will happily congratulate you when you have become sinister sometime in your future.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom