all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fading during workout

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
I train first thing early morning, i have found that during my workouts i hit a point where i just feel my energy drain, i guess as ive got older im more intune with my body and how its feeling.
I think ive always had this but just pushed through and its left me fatigued all day.

Its not even after that long, can be after as little as after a few sets of pullups and dips.

I eat my dinner at 5pm and train at 6am so quite a long time between, i have my last fluid about 5pm too but only a few sips of water or im up all night if you know what i mean ha
I drink alot during the day.

Im wondering if anyone here has experienced this drop of energy or if anyone has any ideas what could be causing it, or how to fix it

My morning routine is wake up, down a pint of water have a banana and straight into warming up for 15min then into workout.

Training pm isnt a option unfortunately.

It might take some experimenting on your part to figure this out. There can be many variables in play here.

Is this new, or has it been going on for some time?

I know that you say training in the PM isn’t an option, but have you tried training at various times of the day, and / or in relation to meals to see if there’s any difference?

Have you analyzed your nutrition? Have you switched your eating? Does eating different stuff make any difference?

Has your sleep changed in any way?

I don’t want to be an alarmist, but have you had a recent physical and bloodwork done, to rule out any medical reasons?

We are all different, but I train mostly in a fasted state all of the time with no apparent energy issues. My last evening food is probably around 1930 give or take. I start my days training at 0400, and usually finish my various sessions by 1200-1300 when I’ll have my first meal of the day. That being said, I’m not shy of going through several cups of good coffee during that time period.

Also if I have an event day, such as a climb, or race, or a multi-hour ride or trail run then I will most certainly eat prior and during the effort.

Hi no change in sleep patten or anything else really, ive got a docs appointment soon so was going to ask for a full blood test.

Ive always been a tired person but just pushed through, excersise in the evenings just doesn't happen the times ive tried it, kids get in the way, mrs wants me to help around the house and getting kids ready for bed etc
At work driving most of the day so its only mornings that i can do really.

Wondering if its due to being a bit dehydrated from during the night

Well i used to have nothing at all, now i have a banana but doesn't really do anything
I workout like, 30min after waking up, eat banana about 15min before workout so not much time for anything to digest i guess, thinking of trying a electrolyte tablet in my water to see if that helps maybe

That should be enough time to digest a banana (assuming you don't start fading 10 minutes into the workout).

What is your workout like?

Ive been doing bodyweight for the last year push pull squat/hinge
Normally 3 sets of ring dips 3 sets of pullups done with 1min rest between then 2min rest after a set of each.
Then some sort of squat or hinge for 3 sets split squats and sldl mostly, finish with a couple sets of core.
Os resets and crawling to warm up.

Last Friday felt like picking up my KBs and even the 16kg felt heavy after so long, s&s warm up then just done some single clean press squat iron cardio style for 15min, was 13 sets in total then started to feel tired so just done 3x3 Pullups

That doesn't sound like an especially brutal workout, so I'm not sure. I'd say try changing the time of day but it doesn't seem like an option for you.
Maybe try drinking more water with some electrolytes? A pint over 12 hours is a very small amount.

Eat more, drink more, get electrolytes.

Try it for a week.

If it doesn't work, no harm done.

If that doesn't help, get your blood work done and hormones tested.

Tried a evening workout today, hard to get motivated after work!
Did it, felt good, strong and could have done alot more!
So i guess, its just a lack of food and hydration causing me to feel like that in the mornings.
Was hard with the mrs cleaning up around me and the kids calling dad every 5 seconds but hopefully they will get used to it!

Back
Top Bottom