all posts post new thread

Barbell Faleev's 80/20 for intermediate/advanced lifters

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Spartan Agoge

Level 6 Valued Member
Do you believe that the 80/20 routine could produce better results for more advanced lifters, if done with periodisation?
Maybe something like this:

Week 1: 8x8(70-75% of training max)
Week 2: 6x5(80% of training max)
Week 3: 10x3(85% of training max)
Week 4: 12x2(90+% of training max)

Then, increase the training max and repeat.

I think it could...but I’d imagine the volume at later phases would have to be far lower than what you’ve suggested.
A couple of years ago, I would agree with you. But, after a point, I experience that in order to further increase my 1rm I need more and more volume at 85+%. And the best way I found to achieve that volume is with high sets of heavy low reps.

A couple of years ago, I would agree with you. But, after a point, I experience that in order to further increase my 1rm I need more and more volume at 85+%. And the best way I found to achieve that volume is with high sets of heavy low reps.
I think this volume would work for me as well...but in the powerlifting world I wouldn’t call myself advanced. I’d think it’d work better for a 300 lbs bench than a 500 lbs.

Many sets at a high percentage works for you, that’s awesome. Waterbury often prescribes such protocols and I’ve always done well on his programs.

Do you believe that the 80/20 routine could produce better results for more advanced lifters, if done with periodisation?
Maybe something like this:

Week 1: 8x8(70-75% of training max)
Week 2: 6x5(80% of training max)
Week 3: 10x3(85% of training max)
Week 4: 12x2(90+% of training max)

Then, increase the training max and repeat.
Let's start with which of the two StrongFirst-related references to Faleev I'm aware of.

or the Tim Ferriss piece with Pavel?

Thanks.

-S-

Last edited:
Faleev's little book says cycle after doing 5x5 to the point where you are stalled for 2-3 weeks.
Then he appears to recommend cycling 5x5 by starting at 85-90% of where you stalled and working back up by adding 2.5kg a week, reaching your plateau again on week 7 and doing the last session on week 10 before starting a new cycle.

it's indicated that above 160kg in the squat and deadlift and 120 in the bench that you'll need to move off 5x5 to keep going with his methodology, or try a different method

Hope that helps

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom