all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Farmer's Carry

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DavThew

Level 6 Valued Member
I've started to introduce some farmer's carries to my routine recently. I'm training them twice a week at the end of my sessions (KB STRONG). I have a light day of 10minutes with a pair of 24kg and a heavy day with 5minutes of 32kg.

My question is an issue of space. It's possible to take my KBs down 3 flights of stairs to carry them outside on the flagstones outside my flat - I have a good 20 metre run down there that I can happily go back and forth on (I can't get much more distance as the area outside my flat is old cobblestones which have separated significantly over the years leaving a very uneven surface). The issue arises when it rains - the flagstones get slippery, and coupling that with a poor grip in the rain I think it would be much safer to train my carries inside. I am in the north of England - it rains quite often.
My other option is to keep them in my flat and walk back and forth across the 5 metres of the living room that is clear of furniture. This isn't too bad, but I think constant turning 180 degrees with a heavy load could be potentially dicey for my spine (I of course alternate which way I turn each time). I could walk the KBs 5m, put them down, turn and then deadlift them back up to go the other direction. Which of these sounds safer? I don't really mind of one is more optimal, as safety is always my first priority with lifting. I am not competing in strongman, this is purely done for good health.

Thanks!

I've started to introduce some farmer's carries to my routine recently. I'm training them twice a week at the end of my sessions (KB STRONG). I have a light day of 10minutes with a pair of 24kg and a heavy day with 5minutes of 32kg.

My question is an issue of space. It's possible to take my KBs down 3 flights of stairs to carry them outside on the flagstones outside my flat - I have a good 20 metre run down there that I can happily go back and forth on (I can't get much more distance as the area outside my flat is old cobblestones which have separated significantly over the years leaving a very uneven surface). The issue arises when it rains - the flagstones get slippery, and coupling that with a poor grip in the rain I think it would be much safer to train my carries inside. I am in the north of England - it rains quite often.
My other option is to keep them in my flat and walk back and forth across the 5 metres of the living room that is clear of furniture. This isn't too bad, but I think constant turning 180 degrees with a heavy load could be potentially dicey for my spine (I of course alternate which way I turn each time). I could walk the KBs 5m, put them down, turn and then deadlift them back up to go the other direction. Which of these sounds safer? I don't really mind of one is more optimal, as safety is always my first priority with lifting. I am not competing in strongman, this is purely done for good health.

Thanks!
My vote - with safety in mind - is to do the farmer's walks inside. Taking them down 3 flights of stairs and then adding possibly slick flagstones to the mix when you're holding a heavy weight is a recipe for disaster. I sometimes do suitcase carries with a 70lb kettlebell indoors, but at least it's possible to do a (small house) circular route in my house.

If I was in your situation, with a 5-meter "course" inside, I'd walk the kettlebells forward and then walk them backward. That would take care of your concern of the constant turning. Yes, there would be a bit of a chance of tripping while walking backward, but I think it would be less of a chance than taking a fall down the stairs or on the slippery flagstones in the long run.

I have a 15 yard path in my apartment with space at both ends that's perfect for carries. I think the frequent turns at each end adds a degree of difficulty.

Also, if you're looking to get more out of the carries, grab a weighted vest.

one approach is walk 10m set them down, pick them up and walk back..

see how much total disctance you can cover in 10 minutes

When I train farmers walks in my basement with DB, or KB I walk around, or a figure-8 pattern. Turning definitely requires more stabilization. I count laps as progress, and move as fast as possible.

When I train heavy carries with farmers handles I walk to one end, set them down, reset, and pick them up, and walk to the other end. Turning with the handles in unwieldy in a tight space. It's an 18" deadlift, and walk. I count reps, and add weight as progress, and move as fast as possible.

I think I should probably take my inspiration from @Geoff Chafe and @Mark Limbaga. Setting them down and picking back up with a deadlift will also reinforce my hinge, and if anything improve my conditioning. I will give this a test run tomorrow. It would also allow me to use uneven weights and go as heavy as possible with such a short distance (after a few weeks breaking in). I'll give the figure 8s a go on my light days, circling the dinner table and sofa.

I have a 40kg and 48kg KB that would be great to use for more than the occasional partial getup, and I remember Dan John speaking highly of uneven heavy farmers carries.

Thank you for all the input gentlemen!

a few ideas for your inside area
- you can walk in figure 8's
- you can walk the 5 meters set them down and then deadlift and walk back
- you can march in place while carrying the weights

i have the same issue and these have worked for me
in regards to be concerned when turning, i haven't had a problem with this, but you bring up an interesting point

I don't have a suitable path for carries so I stick them in the car and drive to a park to do my walks - you end up getting 4 extra sets walking the bells to and from the car at each end :).

However I would not fancy carrying them down wet steps, especially not the weather we've been having recently!

If you can't stash them downstairs I would be tempted to deadlift them each time you change direction.

I'd suggest carrying the bell(s) higher up in the rack position.

It changes the exercise slightly (more 'plank' less 'grip') and in general will make it harder for that particular size of bell(s) but in your case it has the added benefit of moving your center of gravity up AND moving the bell closer to it: both of which should make turns easier in your living room and remove the risk of twisted knees etc.

I do like rack carries (though have mainly done the unilaterally in the past). I think I would get very used to discomfort with a pair of 32s!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom