all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Farmers walk questions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I have two quick questions.
1. Does the speed in which you walk matter? I'm not chasing distances or trying to cover a certain distance as fast as possible. I just want to carry the bells for as long as possible (just short of absolute failure). So does it matter if you just walk vs walk fast?
2. Should we do walks ala pttp? I usually walk around my area as many times to the left, rest and then walk as many times to the right carrying the same weight. Since I come close to failure on the first set should I lower the weight a bit for the second set/walk. On the second walk I'm usually 2-5 laps short of the first.

I don't think it matters. I wing it every time. Dan John says it's important to always vary the weight, distance, time etc. So why not vary the pace as well? I've noticed it feels a bit different at different speeds, though I usually try to walk fairly slowly and deliberately. The only caveat would be to make sure you maintain good posture, not letting the weights pull you into awkward positions.

I try and vary the weight from time to time. I usually use two bells of my working weight for s&s and occasionally up it to the next bell size.

Consider that the farmer’s walk is a practice of the basic human skill of moving heavy items from point A to point B. In life, when one calls on this skill, there will be variations in the load you are hauling, the speed with which you need to complete the hauling, or the distance you need to haul. You don’t want to adapt yourself to one particular way of doing the farmer’s walk; you want to keep yourself highly adaptable.

I typically try to walk at a brisk pace. Having a set distance and speed makes it easier to plan the training.

A variety of speeds - from marching in place to a speedy shuffle - can be useful as long as you are being safe. Sprinting with heavy weight could lead to a nasty spill, especially if you are turning or changing directions.

On the subject of your second "set" I think your way sounds reasonable. I personally like to frame my carries as "down and back." I carry the weight until I am "very excited to set it down" (push the distance but stay well shy of failure). This is "down." I imagine I am walking straight out into a field. Then I have to walk "back." This means covering the same distance, even if it means resting along the way. You could think of this as a "back-off set"

Blake

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom