all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Farmers walks: kettlebells vs handles

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MattM

SFG1
Lately I've become obsessed with loaded carries, mostly farmers/suitcase walks. I've only done these with double 40kg or double 60kg bells.

My question is: is it easier with kettlebells or farmers handles? If I use 2 40kg bells and compare that to 2 handles weighing 88lbs which is harder? I think obviously the bells would be harder on the grip due to the handle diameter.

Can anyone that has done walks with both chime in?

Great idea. Looks relatively easy to build your own. My only concern would be the weights swinging a little too much dangling from the chains.

Farmers handles:
Pros:
-Easier to grip
-Nothing interferes w/ leg movement
-Because of previous two, you can load up a lot of weight. If you can pick it up, you can walk with it, so you can get get close to your 1RM deadlift.
Cons:
-One more thing to buy
-One more thing to store
-You need to buy plates if you don't have them

Kettlebells:
Pros:
-You already have them
-Useful for more than just one thing (you could use handle for barbell type stuff, I guess...but a barbell would be way better for obvious reasons)
-Allows for some level of continuity if you travel regularly
-Better for grip strength. Kind of. You could just get farmers handles and, you know, load them up heavier
Cons:
-You have to hold the bigger ones out away from your legs when you walk, or your legs bump them
-Grip strength can limit your loading
-You will never be able to carry as much with kettlebells

My two cents:
If you have the money and space, get them. You can always get some fat gripz if you want a grip challenge, and they allow you to use heavier weight, which is is a significant advantage in my mind. That being said, if you you're more of a minimalist, then just use the kettlebells. It's like kettlebells vs. barbells. The kettlebell does some things really well, and everything else pretty well. The barbell is king for getting big and strong due to the loading efficiency, but less effective for other fitness goals. Farmers handles are a specialty tool that let you carry the most weight possible in two hands. Yolks let you carry the most weight possible, period (excluding wheeled devices). Loaded carries are awesome, and if you want to get the most out of them possible, you need the specialty tools. For what it's worth, I only use farmers handles when I'm at my gym, and just use my own set of kettlebells for almost everything.

I'm so mad that I train in an apartment and have no access to farmers handles. I would love to load those things up and take them for a walk.

Yeah, I live in basement apartment, so at least I don't have to worry too much about setting things down quietly. When it's nice out I can carry stuff around in the grassy area outside. Otherwise I can do laps in my 25 foot hallway or step ups on a 6 inch platform. If you're a cheap skate like me you could always look into getting a keg to mix it up. I mean, it's kind of the opposite of farmers handles, in that a little bit of weight goes a long way due to the awkward shape and the sloshing. But it's taught me a lot about tension. I picked mine up for about $40 from a local distributor who was going to toss it.

I have about a 40 foot hallway and I take full advantage of it. I can only use my 40kg kb's though and a vest, my 60kg will hit the doorframes (sorry landlord).

I also have a large Ader sandbag that I scored on craigslist. Huge fan of that.

I'll resurrect an old thread to suggest a DIY alternative to farmers handles: I have been using a couple of old budo belts to tie together 16kg + 40kg and 24kg + 32kg kb's. The belts do not cost much and are really easy to store. You can also use different grips. Or at least two different grips: one around the loop and one around the belt (pressing the loop flat). The latter one being, naturally, quite taxing to your grip.

I also have a large Ader sandbag that I scored on craigslist. Huge fan of that.
Heavy sandbags would be rough.

I have carried my 28 and 32kgs from the basement, to the car, into the gym and back again. The offset weight, steps, and TUT were taxing.

Short sections of pvc pipe (you can use varying diameters). Sling some nylon webbing through the centre and through or around whatever weight you want. Inexpensive, easy, effective...

Buy some heavy duty buckets, wrap the handle in hose and tape to widen it then fill with sand and water. Add weights if needed. Start walking. Aim for 500m 3 times a week. Add in some deadlifts as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom