all posts post new thread

Old Forum "Fast" Turkish Get-ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kujo

Level 1 Valued Member
Today I went down in weight from a 24Kg KB to a 16Kg for my Turkish Get-ups (the 24s were in use at my gym at work). Just for the hell of it, I decided to practice doing them smoothly and quickly, without my normal pause at each stage. I focused on being fluid throughout the movements while still staying tight, shoulder packed, etc.

It felt like a very different movement, physically and mentally.

Does, or has, anyone seen any advantage to doing TGUs quickly while maintaining good form?

IMHO, what you did is good.  Some of the precision of a slower rep will necessarily be lost, but if the weight is light, and you are willing to trade precision for fluidity - which can be a very good trade, depending on your goals - then there's nothing wrong with it.

I'd say once in a while as a change of pace, these are fine, but generally speaking, the getup is well suited to a heavier weight and complete control in execution.

-S-

IMO "Too Fast" is determined by exceeding your ability to demonstrate a movement  safely and with precision.

I enjoy "faster" getups with light to medium weight that take only 10 to 15 seconds to complete a single rep. However, when it get's heavy I will need to slow down or the weight forces me to go slowly a 30 second or more longer getup is about right when working near my limit.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom