all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fasted Training & Carbs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
...if you're feeling under-fueled, you might just be under-fed.

While that a possiblity, it most likely due to not being "Metabolically Flexibility"; glucose dependent, unable to utilize ketones (body fat).

As you know, individual who are glucose dependent an inefficient at being able to utilize ketones.

Also, the activity or sport dictates which Energy System is being utilized.

The Phosphagen and Aerobic Energy System are conducive to training in a Fasted State or on a Ketogenic Diet.

Glycolytic Energy System Training or Sports appear to suffer at some point when training in a Fasted State or on a Ketogenic Diet.

However, some research Rebecca Gregroy's research, "A low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet combined with six weeks of crossfit training improves body composition and performance" appears to indicate other wise.

Thus, individuals in a Glycolytic Energy System Sport or Training Program MAY be able to perform well.

However, I question that.

Elli's...

"Swimming fasted (only decaf coffee before) is okay.
Bouldering fasted sucks.
Swings can be done fasted but I feel a bit more powerful after eating..."

It appears that Swimming and Boldering would both fall into the Aerobic Energy System, which are conducive to a Fasted State.

Power Swing would fall into the Phosphagen System, which is conducive for Fasted Training.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
That might be driven due to the fact that you aren't "Metabolically Flexible" or that it or that it's driven more from a psychological state.

Kenny Croxdale

Maybe it is because I am female.
Maybe it is because of low blood pressure.
Maybe I want to avoid feeling dizzy.
Having coffee before working out is not training fasted.
Neither is taking BCAA before practice.
I am not speaking of a full meaI have before practice.
So I would say only a few people are really training in a fasted state.
Maybe you are right and it is psychology - having sth in the tank makes me feel more comfortable when going hard (er).
Swimming with no food before is totally fine, climbing is not.

After another month of recording meals and anecdotally referencing how I feel, rest / sleep plays a big factor.

I have an infant child so I get less than 8 hours sleep almost every night.

On days where I take a full rest day and continue the following day, I am rarely sore.

Previously, I would train S&S 7x/week with 24kg, and on my 1 "rest day" I would just do a lighter set with the 24kg, or drop to the 16kg.

A quiet day today so just looked at that:

keto group lost weight, improved bmi and reduced bodyfat according to study results and in those same results states:

"There was no statistical difference in total
kilocalories or protein intake between or within grou
ps throughout the study."

Fair enough. Except that go to page 44 and do some maths on the calorie figures then page 45 figure 5 to find the very same averaged calorie intakes:
the low carb ketogenic group had roughly a 10% decrease in calorie intake over the 6 week period with nearly 10% more protein.
And from the previous page, the low carb keto group started from a higher calorie intake than control.

By what measure is that 'no statistical difference in total kilocalories'?
Could it be that the reported results were due to a calorie deficit, then?

A quiet day today so just looked at that:

keto group lost weight, improved bmi and reduced bodyfat according to study results and in those same results states:

"There was no statistical difference in total
kilocalories or protein intake between or within grou
ps throughout the study."

Fair enough. Except that go to page 44 and do some maths on the calorie figures then page 45 figure 5 to find the very same averaged calorie intakes:
the low carb ketogenic group had roughly a 10% decrease in calorie intake over the 6 week period with nearly 10% more protein.
And from the previous page, the low carb keto group started from a higher calorie intake than control.

By what measure is that 'no statistical difference in total kilocalories'?
Could it be that the reported results were due to a calorie deficit, then?
Maybe it's 10% over the 6 weeks (=1.66% per week) or -33 kcal/day difference assuming 2,000kcal daily total, not 10% per day/week?

Edit: Nevermind, it's average daily intake over biweekly. Strange.

For those who practice fasted training, typically what does your carb macro breakdown look like?

I am a new parent, and train before 6AM so I can get my workout in before the day starts. This means I train fasted. I just drink some water and go. Sometimes I'll have a coffee and go, but that is rare.

I tend to keep my carbs under 100g/day, and I'm able to get through workouts like S&S, More Kettlebell Muscle complexes, Dry Fighting Weight etc.

I do find myself sore on days, which I attribute to lack of carbs (I'm just guessing). I try to follow the periodization in all of the programs I do.

I am experimenting with more carbs etc. but wanted to see what the community is doing in terms of fasted training & carbs?

I'm late to this conversation but was in the same boat as you 10 years ago when my twins were born.

Wake up at 4:30, seated meditation for 20 minutes, 1 cup coffee, KB session or rowing machine.

I don't think the carbs are making you sore, there should be Ok amount of circulating glucose and the body can activate glycogen stores very rapidly.

Are you sore during the workout, later in the day, or the next AM?

My diet split was probably around 50 carb, 30 protein, 20 fat.

There are calories in both protein and carbohydrate (they're both approximately 4 calories per gram) so your body can use protein as an energy source similarly to carbohydrate but, as far as I'm aware, proteins cannot be converted into carbohydrates nor carbohydrates into proteins.

About half of the amino acids in a complete protein have potential to be broken down/converted into carbs.

I'm late to this conversation but was in the same boat as you 10 years ago when my twins were born.

Wake up at 4:30, seated meditation for 20 minutes, 1 cup coffee, KB session or rowing machine.

This is exactly my routine. Sounds like the New Dad Protocol.

I feel sore during my workout the next day. I'm still able to complete, but I "feel the burn".

Another month later, it seems like at least for me, soreness is related to lack of sleep / poor sleep and not so much around my nutrition

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom