all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fasting during Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RandyC

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been fasting for about 8 month from 8:30pm to 12:00pm the following day. I train BJJ every evening and did S&S every evening as well. I recently changed my S&S to 4:45am due to time. I'm wondering if it is not a good idea to train half way through the fasting period and not eat for 6 hours after the lifting.

I've been fasting for about 8 month from 8:30pm to 12:00pm the following day. I train BJJ every evening and did S&S every evening as well. I recently changed my S&S to 4:45am due to time. I'm wondering if it is not a good idea to train half way through the fasting period and not eat for 6 hours after the lifting.
Hello @Bjjgirevik ,
I train fasted without issue using the same general eating schedule as you, it's not a problem especially with S&S. If you were training to gain muscle some say there is a window in which to eat after training, but that doesn't apply to S&S IMHO

I agree with @Bret S. , and your experience echoes mine (minus the BJJ). I started S&S in the evenings, added intermittent fasting from 8p-12p soon after, then switched to 5am training while continuing the IF. The body adjusts.

You might have to increase the rest intervals in your S&S training until your body adapts to a higher workload while fasted, but it shouldn't be an issue for very long. You'll adapt, especially if you've already been doing IF for 8 months.

I agree with the others.
Your body may take some amount of time to adjust, but there should be minimal issues, especially with something like S&S...

The one tip I would offer is to make sure that you are sufficiently hydrated in the morning (and coffee does not count, sadly). Personally I take some BCAAs in about 20 oz of water but obviously just a large cup of water or two is all you need.

Why not start your fast earlier so it can end after training? Ending a fast after training helps me recover much better which prevents injuries, increases performance, etc., etc., etc.

If I do that I will be fasting duing my BJJ training and that would be far worse as it is far more demanding.

If you are doing two sessions/day there is nothing wrong with having a meal between the two sessions i.e. eat after S&S but before BJJ. So feel free to experiment with that. It might benefit your BJJ session (I'd do that if I had your schedule).
However, if you don't want to eat you could get away with that and a programne like S&S. With a more demanding/intensive programme you might not get away with two sessions/day + fasting so long.

The one tip I would offer is to make sure that you are sufficiently hydrated in the morning (and coffee does not count, sadly). Personally I take some BCAAs in about 20 oz of water but obviously just a large cup of water or two is all you need.

Why doesn't coffee count? It is mostly water.

Coffee with a little cream is good, when I drink black coffee it's diuretic effect is enhanced, the cream seems to counteract it. I drink water through the day but before training in the morning it's just me and my favorite beverage (y) (sometimes a few swallows of water too)

Well, even though coffee has a mild diuretic effect you will never excrete more fluid than you took in by having coffee. So by having a cup of coffee you will always have a net positive intake of water.

Yes I believe you are all right that the net fluid intake is what matters. Personally, I feel better if I have 10-15oz of water before fasted exercise and cannot drink that much hot coffee first thing before exercising. I get up, make the coffee, have about 4oz of black coffee as well as 15oz of water plus BCAAs then exercise. Then I enjoy more coffee at my leisure throughout the morning.

What matters is your performance. If you lift better in the gym fasted, don't eat. If you lift better after eating, eat

I do hydrate when I wake right before my training, I also hydrate well through out the day at work. If I don't I get dehydrated during evening bjj training.

What matters is your performance. If you lift better in the gym fasted, don't eat. If you lift better after eating, eat

This is absolutely true in context. But...

A healthy, properly functioning human animal should be able to move quickly and intensely without feeding, and without feeling miserable.

Whether or not peak performance is enhanced through feeding is not at all the same idea.

Since the metabolism is “trainable” in this regard, one might have to temporarily endure several “not as good sessions” if one is eating and training in a way to move the metabolism to a better state of function.

And yes, my implication is that if one has eaten, trained, and lived in a way that converted their metabolism into a sugar-mainlined crackhead, they “should” do something about that.

And yes, my implication is that if one has eaten, trained, and lived in a way that converted their metabolism into a sugar-mainlined crackhead, they “should” do something about that
Sugar-mainlined crackhead - this is the best thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom