all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fasting, fasted training, and bcaa

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

Many proponents of 16/8 fasting usually recommend some bcaa before training. They usually have their training session close to when they break their fast so it's probably not a fast/deal breaker, but I train at 330am half of the week and break my fast at noon. Will bcaa kill all the benefits of the fast or would it be a good idea for me to try it?

Not sure.

I am using a fasting quite similar to yours. I do around 16 hours of fasting. 4 hours of undereating. Then I do four hour of normal eating. So far I have lost a some kilos without too much pain. What are your results from the method ?

Since you came here seeking the advice of random persons on the Internet, here’s a link to a random person on the Internet exploring the topic.

Many proponents of 16/8 fasting usually recommend some bcaa before training. They usually have their training session close to when they break their fast so it's probably not a fast/deal breaker, but I train at 330am half of the week and break my fast at noon. Will bcaa kill all the benefits of the fast or would it be a good idea for me to try it?
What benefits are you expecting from a 16 hour fast?
Because, there really aren’t ‘many’

I fast, most of the time- but simply because I enjoy it and it’s a tool to consume less cals.
But daily 16 hour fasts aren’t some special panacea- the ‘autophagy’ many speak of is limited in fasts shorter than 48-72 hours, so I really wouldn’t worry.

have your BCAA, don’t have your BCAA... it really won’t make much difference whatsoever.

This is what is called ‘majoring in the minors’

just eat enough protein and overall calories when you do eat, and recover properly- don’t stress over something that matters v little

I was reading about Terry Crews last night and apparently he trains early in the morning and uses bcaa during the morning before breaking his fast between noon and two. This pretty much mirrors Martin Berkhans recommendation for early morning training. Martin says 10g before and 10g after and 10g every couple hours until you break the fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few people take bcaa preworkout, but not not many mention taking a few servings at intervals post workout before breaking the fast.

I've heard taking BCAA's will kick you out of autophagy,. Every now and then I will have only water,salt, and black coffee for 24 hrs to let the body do some house cleaning. Who knows, but seems like a reasonable tool to use. Otherwise I use BCAA's pre and post work out and prior to sleep.

One of the main benefits of a fast is to limit the duration of of insulin to a smaller time window. It was always assumed that you only release insulin when your blood sugar rose from eating protein and carbs. This is not true. Studies have shown that noncaloric foods can cause an increase in insulin levels without a rise in blood glucose levels. The BCAA companies I've researched can't say definitively if their product raises insulin levels. So, in this case, I'm going to assume it does. If it does, then yes, it breaks the fast from an insulin perspective.

I'm not going to say that I don't use supplements, but that industry makes a lot of money. So do your own research. Don't rely on their marketing.

I train fasted, ( no bcaa's). I can't really tell a difference either way.

I used to fast 16/8 daily, I felt great. Alert, focused, energized. Whittled myself down to 2% bodyfat, felt like I could walk through walls. My previous research led me to it's positive effect on testosterone and that's why I did it (I was fighting at the time). I never dabbled in bcaas or any of the fitness supp craze. Excluding creatine, but that's another story.

My advice is always listen to your body. It's smarter than any doctor. If you want to experiment, try 2 weeks bcaa, 2 weeks without. Note which feels better.

(If you do this, I would be curious to know the results!)

How is this possible that someone is on his feet and train before me? (y)

Autopilot. Autopilot. It is tough, but I gotta get it done.

I might try this approach. On days I train so damn early I won't use bcaa and the days I'm lucky to train close to my feeding window I will

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom