all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fasting info

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DMcDonald89

First Post
Tried fasting for approximately 48hrs for the first time. Started feeling a little dizzy and was getting muscle twitches so broke the fast. Mostly curious on how long it will take for the muscle twitching to come to and end if anyone’s experienced that before.

Thanks!

Tried fasting for approximately 48hrs for the first time. Started feeling a little dizzy and was getting muscle twitches so broke the fast. Mostly curious on how long it will take for the muscle twitching to come to and end if anyone’s experienced that before.

Thanks!
Been there, too. I have found that electrolytes help, either as a supplement (calorie-free) or through bone broth (organic, long slow cooking).

But each fast is different. Stress affects it a lot. And how used to it you are.

I’ve done a lot of 48 and 72 hour fasts. The very first 72 I ever did was no fun as I didn’t supplement with extra salts - had headaches, lethargy, cramps, etc. Electrolytes are definitely the answer for sorting that stuff out, however you get them. Don’t ignore magnesium!

If you mix them up in water (roughly 1 tsp salt, 1tsp potassium chloride, 1/2 tsp magnesium citrate per 2 litres of water is what I do - I’m not a doctor, mind you), that should keep cramps, twitches and headaches at bay and your energy up. YMMV, of course.

I’ve done a lot of 48 and 72 hour fasts. The very first 72 I ever did was no fun as I didn’t supplement with extra salts - had headaches, lethargy, cramps, etc. Electrolytes are definitely the answer for sorting that stuff out, however you get them. Don’t ignore magnesium!

If you mix them up in water (roughly 1 tsp salt, 1tsp potassium chloride, 1/2 tsp magnesium citrate per 2 litres of water is what I do - I’m not a doctor, mind you), that should keep cramps, twitches and headaches at bay and your energy up. YMMV, of course.
I'm not a dottor but I would say that if you have this kind of problems then maybe a DIY solution can leave something off so I would do it under medical advice or surveilance.

I'm not a dottor but I would say that if you have this kind of problems then maybe a DIY solution can leave something off so I would do it under medical advice or surveilance.

I wasn’t meaning to overstate the effects of my water fast; I was still functioning and training well throughout.

In any case, there’s a lot of literature about electrolyte supplementation during fasts and ketogenic diets (fasting-mimicking) to relieve those very symptoms I described. My approach is a fairly standard one and it makes all the difference in my longer fasts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom