all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fasting observations

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I'm a major fan of OMAD. The simplicity and ease of just tossing fluids in your bag and go. But, I have decided to give it up. It would mess with my digestion and cause the toilet destroying sprint. I tried tracking what I ate. Some days were not bad and I'd think to myself I ate that yesterday and it brought on the sprint. I thought maybe it was the volume of food. Nope. Like I said, it was literally a crap shoot on whether I was sprinting and sometimes showering after or weathering the storm.
Since I've switched to 16/8 (2 meals and maybe a snack) everything is good. The drawback is backing food again and hauling around my feed bag like an eighties bodybuilder.
I may try Iron Addicts modified warrior diet again. At least then it's only a couple shakes to pack and one meal.

Ps. 16/8 seems to be the go to and best protocol. Pavel does it, Martin Berkhan, celebrates, John Berardi likes it, and Dr Mercola says it's one of the best.

I have more or less naturally switched to intermittent fasting the last few days. My eating window is like 6 or 7 hours by default, so not to far off from your arrangement.

Not commuting, being among co-workers and being unable to go to organized trainings, made it very convinient to test it.
Fasting until 16.00 really works well. After three days I don't crave sugar, and feel very sharp when writing, reading, running and swinging the KB. Having said that, I do crave caffeine even more than normally, so I don't think my blood pressure is benefiting much as of yet.

In my experience three meals per day is easier than two meals is easier than one meal but ultimately it comes down to what is in those meals. I have never experienced anything magical from meal frequency or timing. It comes down primarily to the content of the meals and secondarily, but interrelatedly, whether you want to exercise willpower three times, two times or once daily. OMAD has this elegance, drink black coffee whenever and eat once whatever. Two rules - hard to go wrong!

16:8 (or 18:6 or what have you) is nice in that it means that for two thirds of the day, I don't have to deal with hunger or with eating. (My body gets used to eating at certain times of the day and doesn't typically bug me with hunger outside of those times.)In the current unusual times, it pre-empts stress-related eating.

I do not miss the days of eating 3 or more meals a day because it seems like it trained my body to be constantly hungry.

Was a bit shocked today. After "greasing the groove" during the day, I did 100 OAS (40 kilos) on my balcony, before having a good run which included some shadowboxing in the woods in the afternoon. At no point did I feel fatigued or hungry. I am thinking that I should make an effort to adapt intermeidate fasting to my everyday lif ewhen things get back to normal, but it will be challenging.

Does anyone with experience on intermittent fasting have any tips on lessening the digestive and often explosive issues I have with OMAD? Like I've said it only seems to be OMAD. 16/8 doesn't seem to bother me, but I do love only packing fluids for the day.

Does anyone with experience on intermittent fasting have any tips on lessening the digestive and often explosive issues I have with OMAD? Like I've said it only seems to be OMAD. 16/8 doesn't seem to bother me, but I do love only packing fluids for the day.
I would go back to your old eating habits temporarily, and then change more gradually. Sounds simple but very much worth a try. In all the years I've been following the WD and answering people's questions about it, the most common mistake I see is simply trying to change too much, too soon. The original WD book, if memory serves, suggested making breakfast 20 minutes later each day. Another example - I got into this by doing 1 WD day a week, then 2, then WD on Mon/Tue, Thu/Fri but lunch with friends on Wednesdays, and so on. It took me several months to make the transition.

-S-

Long time lurker first time poster here...

I too have fell in to a roughly 16:8 pattern of late. I work shifts, and my day shifts have me up at 4:15 and home at 18:30. I was getting tired of being a slave to the kitchen on a night time for the typical 2/3 hour small meal, and it was easy to put away a lot of calories if I ate early.
By “skipping” breakfast (or two breakfasts in this case), I have a better control of intake. It encourages me to drink more water, and I can’t go without black coffee anyway. Also have to pay a little more attention to protein intake at meals, so they are a little more satiating.
Too early to note any changes in body composition, but I’ve felt good, ignoring a hunger pang as I type this, and I have a great big lunch to look forward to.
I don’t count calories, but typically eat circa 3000kcal and I can spread this over two meals and two snacks.
Following a similar pattern on my days off, though I will break the fast early on days I’m riding in the AM

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom