all posts post new thread

Old Forum Fat and confused

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Steve, 15 months ago I weighed 275. Now I weigh 200. Kettlebell and sensible eating. According to the calipers, essentially the entire 75 lbs was fat. What I eat, and don't, changed what the scale says, but making it fat loss, as opposed to weight loss comes from the kettlebell. Body composition. I track weight, bp and resting pulse rate every morning in a spread sheet. They track together. Weight down, bp and PR down. I backslid Nov & Dec - weight up, bp up. No aerobics, just kettlebell. I'm 64 years old.

Reactions: Lew
Annlee - thanks for that link to gnolls.org, hadn't seen that site before and finding it very interesting.

Another similarly interesting site: http://eatingacademy.com/

I few years back I weighed in at almost 120kg at 1m78cm(266lbs), with virtually no muscle mass (spent a few years in the couch due to depression and other medical issues I'm kinda happen I never had my fat % measured at that point, would've been scary)... an 8KG KB would kick my arse, now I'm down to 104kg/230lbs with loads or more muscle (22% fat) (lost 10KG of only fat since july 2013), diet is most important to lose weight (and remains my nemesis), in my case it's not that I eat unhealthy, as I changed up my eating habbits completety, I have issue with portion control and late night eating :p
I did al of this with KB and bodyweight (mostly CC insprired), with the occasional cycle of barbell deadlifts....strenght training is awesome to lose wait, the muscle you pack on makes you burn more, and supports your weight better (no more back, hip, shoulder, neck, and kneepains), it increase your insuline resistance, is stenghtens your bones, joints and tendons etc...
I'd say just get going ,but do it smart, you goal should be not to risk injury as a relapse is right around the corner then, find a "diet" or rather "new way to eat for the rest of your life" to you can manage, but make sure not to take it to extremes (don't undercut your intake by more than 500cals a day to avoid jojo-madness)...you'll thank yourself in a few years, no more high BP, high cholesterol, constant pains and annoyances, you'll feel much better in general, will be less prone to injury...there really is no downside :) former fatties are todays beefcakes :p

forgot: I also have a severe issue with testosteron (went as low as 146ng/l while 500-1200 is considered "normal"...managed to get it up to high 400's with strenght training and diet, still lowish, but I try to avoid having to take medicine after having to take WAY to much before starting to train, and I'm not really willing to be on TRT for the rest of my days....

Reactions: Lew
Steve,

I know that it's easy to point to exercise and food and those are definitely key. In fact, most people have an idea of what they should do, but it's what they should stop doing that sometimes makes the biggest difference. Trying to out-exercise a bad diet is an example of this. However, I just want to put in a plug for proper hydration and rest/sleep. Someone on this forum once mentioned "The Schwarzbein Principle" and you can watch a 30 minute video on it here: http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/dr_schw/wellness.html

Basically, get your food right, then your rest right, then exercise. The idea is that if you don't fix your diet, you might still be flooding your system with "toxic " food while you exercise. Since fat cells can be a place where various toxins might accumulate, by releasing fat with high intensity exercise, you're forcing your body to try and clear out "toxins"(and fight the continuing onslaught from the current diet) which fatigues the various organ systems designed to clean our bodies. So step 1 is: stop putting crap in your body. The previous responders gave you lots of information on this already.

However, without proper rest/sleep, we are affect our repairing mechanisms including our hormones (which are affected by diet, also). This is all very high level and I can't speak to all the details of how it all works, but upping my water and making sure I get at least 7 hours of sleep every night, with 8 hours preferred, made a huge difference in my ability to lose fat (35 lbs)with a diet that was already pretty clean and an existing regular exercise regimen. Of course, just replacing bad calories from drinks by drinking water makes a huge difference. And I cut out beer, sadly.

Lots of great advice from everyone :)

Can you get a standing desk?  You can start with :30 minutes of standing and slowly add standing time.

Steve there are many routes up the mountain and kettlebell training is a great one...when done safely and effectively.  Find a StrongFirst kettlebell instructor near you to make sure you are doing it correctly...preferably one with an FMS designation.

Be wary of advice from people that aren't qualified to be giving advice especially when it comes to kettlebells because many out there simply don't get it.  The one that said kettlebells are only good if you are already in shape doesn't know what they are talking about and likely doesn't know that they don't know what they are talking about.  I've used kettlebells on people who are overweight with spinal injuries and both not only got leaner, improved biomarkers of health (blood pressure, etc.) but also found that their backs felt much better (these are people who were deconditioned because of being physically limited...not exactly the in-shape crowd)  Plyometrics are not appropriate for someone in your situation.  Remember if the blind lead the blind both shall fall in the ditch.

Uhm...takeaways...find a StrongFirst kettlebell instructor near you preferably with FMS.  Find a healthy nutrition plan like some of the others have mentioned in this forum...check with your doctor first though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom