all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Fat Back Farmers

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
The list of events for the Women’s Arnold Amature Strongman 2018 has Fat Back Farmers as the first event. It is a brutal event.

I don’t know the details of what the women will do, but the original event is 20ft Carry and three Deadlifts, for 60ft with heavy Farmers Handles. The event is scored by distance or reps after the last Carry. It is as hard as it sounds. It is a good exercise or test with what ever implement or protocol you can dream up.

Maybe Kettlebell Carry and Swing? Suitcase, Double Bell, One Hand or Two Hand Swing? One Arm Snatch and Overhead Carry?

Last year they did Keg Carry and Press. Another awesome, but tough event that could easily be Kettlebelled.

Last edited:
The list of events for the Women’s Arnold Amature Strongman 2018 has Fat Back Farmers as the first event. It is a brutal event.

I don’t know the details of what the women will do, but the original event is 20ft Carry and three Deadlifts, three times with heavy Farmers Handles. The event is scored by distance or reps after the last Carry. It is as hard as it sounds. It is a good exercise or test with what ever implement or protocol you can dream up.

Maybe Kettlebell Carry and Swing? Suitcase, Double Bell, One Hand or Two Hand Swing? One Arm Snatch and Overhead Carry?

Last year they did Keg Carry and Press. Another awesome, but tough event that could easily be Kettlebelled.

That sounds like a gruelling exercise. I'd say it takes really established technique in order to avoid compromising form with the deadlifts while being so fatigued.

Have you tried to do it with your trap bar? To me it would be the obvious choice for the exercise. Kettlebells are of course great as well, if you have them heavy enough. Or one can naturally increase the walk length and the reps of the lifts.

Every time I read about farmer carries or some other types of loaded walks I get excited and plan my future home gym a bit. I plan to do a lot of heavy carries when the summer comes. I've already got myself a thick yet short log that I will use as a chopping block which I will use for carries. I'm also thinking of sacing a longer log to carry so the balancing gets a little harder. I've also thought of sandbag carries and pushing a loaded wheelbarrow. The exercise options seem to grow every time I think of them. I just hope my wife doesn't think that my training enthusiasm carries to gardening and such.

I've done some things like this outside when the weather gets warm. 3-5 reps then walk.

Double Kb clean to double rack walk
Bb strict/push press to overhead carry
Trap bar dl to carry
Snatch grip dl to carry
Zercher dl/squat to carry

All hard but the zercher is especially brutal.

I call them "work and walks"

I forgot zercher walks, thanks for the reminder @MattM . They are definitely on the menu. Aren't they pretty much the same as the Conan wheel in Strongman?

I'm intrigued by the trap bar walk also, but I don't know if I'd use it for anything else and I'm not sure if I want to buy it just for that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom