all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Fat loss KB swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nish1013

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi All ,
Is it enough to do 100 swings using an appropriate weight per day to loose body fat effectively? How many calories roughly can burn by doing 100 swings ? I’m on calorie deficit under the guidance of a dietician. Thank you

Hi All ,
Is it enough to do 100 swings using an appropriate weight per day to loose body fat effectively? How many calories roughly can burn by doing 100 swings ? I’m on calorie deficit under the guidance of a dietician. Thank you
Any resistance exercise that adequately disrupts your homeostasis will, in a state of caloric deficit, help your weight loss skew more toward fat instead of 50/50 lean mass/fat ratio. The protein and carbs you eat will replenish your muscle glycogen (since they are now “in demand” from the exercise) and not go straight to fat storage, all else being equal.

Hi All ,
You might want to read on of the books by Tracy Reifkind (the "Queen of the Swing") for inspiration, as she lost a lot of weight doing swings. AFAIK her programs are less focused on strength and more on volume, but they are geared towards fat loss. You can even follow them along for free on youtube.

Swings are very effective for calorie burning and 10x10 per day a good amount of volume. 3x per week plus 2x cardio (walking, rucking, dancing, ...) is also a good combination. Following S&S 2.0 and taking care of nutrition will probably take you very far. Personally I like intermittent fasting.

Good luck!

Hi All ,

I think it's highly variable on your body, your kettlbell weight, your technique... Personally if I were going to "account" for it, I'd probably count 100 calories. Just as a round estimate. But usually I don't account for it. I just train, and account for diet/calories in terms of weight changes, separately.

Doing 100 swings per day will assist in weight loss. Especially if they are nice and powerful. Ultimately though, your work with the dietitian is what's going to make the difference long term (in the vast majority of cases).

btw: My Polar HR App estimates that I burn 140-150 calories with 10x10 swings. However, this is solely based on HR, without accounting for the afterburner effect nor taking into account that training large muscles groups might burn more. And it classifies my swing sessions as "Easy recovery training"... I guess the app is mostly geared towards runners.

For comparison: It also estimates that I burn 100 calories on my 15 minute bike ride to work (relaxed zone 1 effort). And 70 calories by walking for 10 minutes (HR of about 70 BPM).

Edit: And the more weight you have to lose, the more walking helps. The inverse is also true: The more weight you have lost, the less calories you will burn with walking as you will have, well, less weight to carry and will have become more efficient. But every minute of activity counts, as current research shows. Whenever you are not sitting you will burn more calories and also improve on a lot of markers for health.

Last edited:
Weight has been my struggle for years. I've been lifting weights (of some sort) for 8 years, and I think Anna is right. Training will definitely give you body composition changes, but don't account for calories in training. Let your training be your training. Control calories at the table

Note: After I posted this I thought of my wife. She has really got into riding her Peloton bike. She doesn't account for her calories on the bike. She rides for metrics, but she also kind of eats what she wants (within reason). Her results have been amazing, and I attribute it mainly to her training.

Last edited:
I would ignore calorie expenditure estimations for the time being. I used to have both HRM and bike computer that estimated calories and they disagreed with each other by 100s of calories for the same ride.

Will it help? Yes. Is it enough? No. Weight/fat loss happens in the kitchen, not the gym.

My experience has been that, no matter how hard I'm pushing in the gym, I only drop weight if I spend a big chunk of the day hungry. Which sucks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom