all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Fat loss/ reducing upper body bulk.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Provx

Level 5 Valued Member
Something i have been pondering and looking for opinions. I have been having great luck running kb berserk (love this program) by hector g in terms of getting much stronger in the clean and jerk, however i feel like my biceps and shoulders are getting larger than i would prefer (from the cleans i suppose)

I assume i need to reduce my calories and limit carbs to lose bulk.

what concerns me is most fat loss programs have high reps which could cause hypertrophy, the opposite of what id like.

my main goal is strong legs and grip while losing fat. Should i be looking at more of a deadlift or swing only program? I feel like maybe programs that have lots of cleans are not what I currently need.

or is what im doing in terms or clean and jerk or snatches just fine as long as i change my diet.

thanks

Something i have been pondering and looking for opinions. I have been having great luck running kb berserk (love this program) by hector g in terms of getting much stronger in the clean and jerk, however i feel like my biceps and shoulders are getting larger than i would prefer (from the cleans i suppose)

I assume i need to reduce my calories and limit carbs to lose bulk.

what concerns me is most fat loss programs have high reps which could cause hypertrophy, the opposite of what id like.

my main goal is strong legs and grip while losing fat. Should i be looking at more of a deadlift or swing only program? I feel like maybe programs that have lots of cleans are not what I currently need.

or is what im doing in terms or clean and jerk or snatches just fine as long as i change my diet.

thanks
What are you training goals? What are you training for? You say 'strong legs and grip'... is just in general or for something specific? Some sport, activity, or profession requirement?

I'll have to admit it's a rare person not wanting large biceps and shoulders. But at the end of the day we do have to carry our own engine...so it certainly makes sense for some applications...

What are you training goals? What are you training for? You say 'strong legs and grip'... is just in general or for something specific? Some sport, activity, or profession requirement?

I'll have to admit it's a rare person not wanting large biceps and shoulders. But at the end of the day we do have to carry our own engine...so it certainly makes sense for some applications...

golf related, wanting to add speed to the swing. I find vertical jumping equates to golf swing speed. Therefore strong legs and butt for vertical jump and strong grip to control the extra speed

larger upper body muscles can get in the way reducing swing length.

i gravitated to c&j because i enjoy it and it seems to promote athleticism but now questioning if the cleans and overhead movements is hindering me.

Now this is a problem I'd like to have... I Think I found my next program after 701A.

Perhaps you could switch over to just jerks instead of the C&J.

You could do high rep swings for the weight loss, and low rep-high weight C&P to prevent hypertrophy. Swings won't give much upper body hypertrophy anyway.

Now this is a problem I'd like to have... I Think I found my next program after 701A.

Perhaps you could switch over to just jerks instead of the C&J.

its a good program, there is one in berserk that heavy low rep jerks only that i enjoyed. How you liking 701a? I ate terrible during it so i never really completed it as written. I have been debating giving 701b or kb elite a run through

You could do high rep swings for the weight loss, and low rep-high weight C&P to prevent hypertrophy. Swings won't give much upper body hypertrophy anyway.
+1, although I don't know how "high rep" the swings really need to be.
Cleans (and snatches, to a lesser degree) will do a lot to build and your biceps.

+1, although I don't know how "high rep" the swings really need to be.
Cleans (and snatches, to a lesser degree) will do a lot to build and your biceps.

you think swings a+a style or 044 style would be good or do you have a program in mind?

its a good program, there is one in berserk that heavy low rep jerks only that i enjoyed. How you liking 701a? I ate terrible during it so i never really completed it as written. I have been debating giving 701b or kb elite a run through

I'm actually only on week 1, hahaha. I realized that there would be a surplus of calories in my near future, and I thought I could put them to good use.

So far, however, it's been fun, but week 1 is for sure a bit light. I've been doing swings and a few LCCJ after the main workout, but I'm ready to drop those when the intensity amps up.

you think swings a+a style or 044 style would be good or do you have a program in mind?
I'm partial to A+A work, personally, but that doesn't mean it's best.
Based on what you've posted, it sounds like it's pretty easy for your body to grow past where you want it too. Lactate is a trigger for muscle growth, so I would generally avoid it. The "purest" way to do this would be to do A+A style swings, but even shorter sets than usual A+A. Meaning sets of 3-5 swings instead of 5-7. If you don't need the endurance benefit of A+A, you could cut down on the volume and keep your number of sets under 20 each session (I see total volume as another growth trigger). Short sets of A+A swings for relatively low volume strikes me as a good way to only train power, and not stimulate growth. For those who want such a thing ;). This is totally spitballing, though, try at your own risk haha.

If you can do the 4/5 version of Q&D or S&S swings without your shoulders blowing up, then have at it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom