all posts post new thread

Nutrition Fat loss with PTTP?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoshuaH86

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone,
I'm starting a PTTP routine, along with Hardstyle Abs. I need to drop some body fat and I know little about nutrition aside from what can be summed up by Jack Lalanne: "If man made it, don't eat it!". Since I'm following PTTP I obviously can't go do a ton of snatches and swings and need to rely on sound nutrition to lose my love handles. Advice?

For me I understand what foods can mess me up and bloat me or cause body fat to pile on. How are you eating now? The simple solution is as you already stated, if man made it don't eat it. Log into my fitness pal and log your calories, as accurately as possible for a few days and you will be amazed out how much fat or carbs and salt you consume. Making a few adjustments can make all the difference in the world. I prefer a low card/keto approach. But, I also understand that heavy carbs make me feel like junk so I avoid most starches and other stuff like that.

I wish you well with your training and diet. Keep us all updated please.

Thank you Shawn!
I cut out most sugars and artificial food as well as breads. Another area I'm unfamiliar with is meal frequency and portion. I know what conventional wisdom says, but if I followed conventional wisdom I'd probably still be doing two armed pushups.

IMHO, more and more we need to look at where our food came from. Speaking purely subjectively, I feel better after eating a couple of slices of a good bread than I do if I don't, but I feel worse after eating crappy bread. The same goes for meat, and for dairy.

-S-

Try one thing at a time. Go a few weeks on PTTP, then try cutting back on refined carbs (e.g. non-vegetable carbs) especially on non-training days. If you can maintain performance and your fat loss accelerates, great! If it doesn't move the needle and your performance suffers, try something else until you find the sweet spot.

If you want to lose fat you need to eat less calories than you burn.
Find out how many cals you need to maintain your weight and then start by substracting 300. For a rough estimate multiply your weight by 15.
Say you are 200 lbs. 200x15=3000. So you would need to get in ~3000cals to maintain your weight. Start with 2700 for your cut.
Get about .8 to 1g of protein. So that is 160-200g protein. Get about 25-35% of your cals from fat. Fill in the rest with carbs. Get ~30-50g fibre.
Try to chose "adult" foods most of the time. But no need to freak out over some junk food calories. As long as you get enough fibre and micronutrients you are perfectly fine. In fact I would even incourage you to have a little tread every day to prevent cravings. As long as you create a caloric deficit over a prolonged period you will lose weight.

As far as training is concerned I would advise you to train for strength. Try to maintain your strength or even improve it. Do as little as possible while still making progres. That will ensure you keepor even gain muscle mass

Ultimately it comes down to diet. PTTP is a good program to follow while on a caloric deficit; I did it earlier this year with fairly good results.

I tend to drop all nonessential carbs, reduce my fat, increase protein or at least make sure its where it should be. When I drop weight I do not want to lose a single ounce of muscle more than what might be unavoidable.

As long as you are short on calories you will lose weight, esp when training, and if you stick with it the process speeds up after about 3 weeks. In my opinion timing is important to some extent in that if you can go to bed a little hungry you will get better results. There is a slightly increased risk of loosing some muscle but it is outweighed by the increase in overall weight loss.

Wake up ravenous and take Poor Richard's advice to eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner.

I am not into low carb by any means but @ Steve Freides I prefer my carbs mostly whole food with some quality breads and the odd beer. If it is a pasta or bread, has less than 5 or 6 grams of protein per serving and or a ton of preservatives and other ingredients I can't ID, I'll take a pass.

Fruit 45 minutes to an hour or so before a workout can keep up your energy for training. Depending on how much weight you are shedding, you might even experience a notable increase in energy even on a reduced calorie regimen, as the fat comes off.

Thanks guys! I think I can attack this thing head on thanks to all the great advice. The breakfast, lunch and dinner aphorism is definitely going into my mind palace! I've got some great notes from you guys!

+1 for My Fitness Pal - quite a painless way to log food intake.

It quickly taught me that I can't judge calorie content of food by eye - not even close.

I still reckon judging maintenance calorie level, particularly if you are doing any sort of training is very hard - there is definitely an element of trial and error to setting the right target.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom