Favorite Strength Training Books

Jeremykots

Double-Digit Post Count
I have a few days off coming up and want to read some new stuff, I already have most of Pavel’s stuff and a lot of other newer titles. Any recommendations?

Pavel Macek

More than 2500 posts
Master Certified Instructor
Old books

- Alan Calvert, Super-Strength
- Edgar Mueller, Goerner The Mighty
- Ed Spielman, The Mighty Atom: The Life and Times of Joseph L. Greenstein

New books

- Patrick McKeown, The Oxygen Advantage
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Antifragile
- William B. Irvine, A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

Chrisdavisjr

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
I just picked up a copy of The System: Soviet Periodization Adapted for the American Strength Coach by Johnny Parker, Al Miller and Rob Panariello with Jeremy Hall (amazon link)*.

It's a weighty tome and I've only just started to read it, but I am really into it so far.

*This book is available from other retailers.

Harald Motz

Certified Instructor
I already have most of Pavel’s stuff
me too
I have a few days off coming up and want to read some new stuff
a maybe boring recommendation with potentially interesting experience to re-read some old stuff to find something new.

personally I find as my Favorit (strength) books which I tend to read in throughout the years. These are books where I can put some aspects into practice over long(er) periods of time otherwise it would be just entertaining fiction:

- Easy Strength by Dan John and Pavel
- Kettlebell Simple and Sinister
- Za-Zen die Praxis des Zen by Taizen Deshimaru
- Zen Mind Beginners Mind by S. Suzuki

as I am a proud owner of the StrongEndurance manual for some weeks now, I enjoy putting read stuff into some solid practice.

An unpublished masterpiece is the (G)alactic handbook of Aerobics: simple guidelines for lifelong programming.

ali

I just picked up a copy of The System: Soviet Periodization Adapted for the American Strength Coach by Johnny Parker, Al Miller and Rob Panariello with Jeremy Hall (amazon link)*.
Just listened to a podcast with one of the authors on Scott Rdella.
He describes himself as an ol' cotton picker from mississippi, I reckon it's Pavel doing his best southern accent. Sounds very SF.
One for Santa.

JCavin

Double-Digit Post Count
Although not really strength, Exuberant Animal is a nice read for a different take on fitness in general.

Martin Joe

Triple-Digit Post Count
Recommended Books:

* Overcoming Gravity - 2nd Edition. (Calisthenics) By Steven Low

* Tactical Barbell (Classic Strength training) By K. Black.

/Martin Joe

wespom9

More than 500 posts
Certified Instructor
Most of Dan John's books are incredible. Easy Strength gets an extra up vote from me, such an amazing book. I also read "The System" as @Chrisdavisjr noted above. It's interesting, not life changing but lots of good information.

Not strength training, but great new book I just read: Atomic Habits by James Clear

kurt perham

Double-Digit Post Count
AntiFragile. Anything by Rippetoe (starting strength and the offshoots) and of course anything by Dan John

Top Bottom