all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Favorite Strength Training Books

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeremykots

Level 5 Valued Member
I have a few days off coming up and want to read some new stuff, I already have most of Pavel’s stuff and a lot of other newer titles. Any recommendations?

Old books

- Alan Calvert, Super-Strength
- Edgar Mueller, Goerner The Mighty
- Ed Spielman, The Mighty Atom: The Life and Times of Joseph L. Greenstein

New books

- Patrick McKeown, The Oxygen Advantage
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Antifragile
- William B. Irvine, A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

I just picked up a copy of The System: Soviet Periodization Adapted for the American Strength Coach by Johnny Parker, Al Miller and Rob Panariello with Jeremy Hall (amazon link)*.

It's a weighty tome and I've only just started to read it, but I am really into it so far.

*This book is available from other retailers.

I already have most of Pavel’s stuff
me too
I have a few days off coming up and want to read some new stuff
a maybe boring recommendation with potentially interesting experience to re-read some old stuff to find something new.

personally I find as my Favorit (strength) books which I tend to read in throughout the years. These are books where I can put some aspects into practice over long(er) periods of time otherwise it would be just entertaining fiction:

- Easy Strength by Dan John and Pavel
- Kettlebell Simple and Sinister
- Za-Zen die Praxis des Zen by Taizen Deshimaru
- Zen Mind Beginners Mind by S. Suzuki

as I am a proud owner of the StrongEndurance manual for some weeks now, I enjoy putting read stuff into some solid practice.

An unpublished masterpiece is the (G)alactic handbook of Aerobics: simple guidelines for lifelong programming.

I just picked up a copy of The System: Soviet Periodization Adapted for the American Strength Coach by Johnny Parker, Al Miller and Rob Panariello with Jeremy Hall (amazon link)*.

Just listened to a podcast with one of the authors on Scott Rdella.
He describes himself as an ol' cotton picker from mississippi, I reckon it's Pavel doing his best southern accent. Sounds very SF.
One for Santa.

Although not really strength, Exuberant Animal is a nice read for a different take on fitness in general.

Recommended Books:

* Overcoming Gravity - 2nd Edition. (Calisthenics) By Steven Low

* Tactical Barbell (Classic Strength training) By K. Black.

/Martin Joe

Most of Dan John's books are incredible. Easy Strength gets an extra up vote from me, such an amazing book. I also read "The System" as @Chrisdavisjr noted above. It's interesting, not life changing but lots of good information.

Not strength training, but great new book I just read: Atomic Habits by James Clear

AntiFragile. Anything by Rippetoe (starting strength and the offshoots) and of course anything by Dan John

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom