all posts post new thread

Barbell Favorite Stretches

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mrdave100

Level 5 Valued Member
When deadlifting, I like doing the McKenzie stretches between sets as the Evil Russian advises, what stretches have you guys or ladies found beneficial between or after sets of squatting and bench presses?

I do a sort of modified McKenzie which is I guess Upward Dog/Downward Dog very slow pump. Also, (not mid-session) I have a small, very firm rubber ball I lie on and slowly roll up spinal erectors on each side then up the middle while moving around to get different pressure angles. I often get clicks and pops and rib adjustments with the ball. I have tried a number of different balls, lacross, Yamuna Body Rolling black ball, regulation softball, etc. Most are either too soft or too hard or not a good diameter to "get in there". The Yoga Therapy one really does the job IMO

When deadlifting, I like doing the McKenzie stretches between sets as the Evil Russian advises, what stretches have you guys or ladies found beneficial between or after sets of squatting and bench presses?

Loaded Stretching

Research indicates this method is most effective for increasing muscle mass, as well as strength to some degree; dependent on how it is performed.

Load Stretching is essentially Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF).

PNF Stretching

PNF usually requires a partner. However, it can be performed alone.

The PNF method of stretching is performed by an initial mild stretch. A slight break of a few second is allowed for some recovery.

It is then followed by a more aggressive stretch that is usually a little uncomfortable.

The initial mild strength and short rest ensure a greater range of the stretch is elicited in the more aggressive stretch.

Deadlift Stretch Example

1) Body Weight Deadlift Stretch

The method you are performing falls into this category.

Touching your toes in a standing position or touching the floor with the palms of your hands (if flexible enough) works, as well.

2) Loaded Deadlift Stretch

One method of performing at Loaded Deadlift Stretch is to stand on a box. Hold some dumbbells. Then drop down as far as you can with the Dumbbells in the stretched position.

To aggressively increase the Loaded Deadlift Stretch, increased the Dumbbell Weight in the stretch.

A Decrease In Maximum and Power

Too much stretching prior to performing an exercises decrease Maximum Strength and Power.

Research indicates that stretches of 30 second or less prior to an exercise or between exercise sets doesn't affect Maximum Strength or Power.

Stretching longer than 30 seconds appear to decrease Maximum Strength and Power. Stretches over a minute are contraindicated.

Full Range Movements

Full Range Movements provide Loaded Stretching, promoting some muscle damage which produces an increase in muscle mass.

Olympic Lifters are the second most flexible group of athletes, Gymnast are the most flexible.

The reason for the flexibility of Olympic Lifters is due their use of full range movements. An enormous amount of flexibility is required in the shoulders in the Snatch.

With that in mind, individual who preform full range movement are going to be more flexible because flexibility is already incorporated into their program.

Squatting Stretching

Put a loaded bar on your back. Sink into a full Squat position and sit there.

A Goblet Squat where you sit in the bottom part of the Squat works, as well.

Bench Press

An Olympic Bar doesn't work. Your chest limits how far you can lower the bar.

Dumbbells Bench Press Stretch

Dumbbells allow you to drop down farther.

To increase the stretch, increase the Dumbbell Weight.

Last edited:
- 90/90S
- Deep bw, prying squat
- hangs
- couch stretch
- down dog

As well as Pavel’s work, and classic yoga poses, I love Kelly Starrett’s work on mobilisations.

The top 3 bullets seem to give my body most bang for the buck, so I sprinkle them in through my days and workouts.

Loaded Stretching

Research indicates this method is most effective for increasing muscle mass, as well as strength to some degree; dependent on how it is performed.

Load Stretching is essentially Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF).

PNF Stretching

PNF usually requires a partner. However, it can be performed alone.

The PNF method of stretching is performed by an initial mild stretch. A slight break of a few second is allowed for some recovery.

It is then followed by a more aggressive stretch that is usually a little uncomfortable.

The initial mild strength and short rest ensure a greater range of the stretch is elicited in the more aggressive stretch.

Deadlift Stretch Example

1) Body Weight Deadlift Stretch

The method you are performing falls into this category.

Touching your toes in a standing position or touching the floor with the palms of your hands (if flexible enough) works, as well.

2) Loaded Deadlift Stretch

One method of performing at Loaded Deadlift Stretch is to stand on a box. Hold some dumbbells. Then drop down as far as you can with the Dumbbells in the stretched position.

To aggressively increase the Loaded Deadlift Stretch, increased the Dumbbell Weight in the stretch.

A Decrease In Maximum and Power

Too much stretching prior to performing an exercises decrease Maximum Strength and Power.

Research indicates that stretches of 30 second or less prior to an exercise or between exercise sets doesn't affect Maximum Strength or Power.

Stretching longer than 30 seconds appear to decrease Maximum Strength and Power. Stretches over a minute are contraindicated.

Full Range Movements

Full Range Movements provide Loaded Stretching, promoting some muscle damage which produces an increase in muscle mass.

Olympic Lifters are the second most flexible group of athletes, Gymnast are the most flexible.

The reason for the flexibility of Olympic Lifters is due their use of full range movements. An enormous amount of flexibility is required in the shoulders in the Snatch.

With that in mind, individual who preform full range movement are going to be more flexible because flexibility is already incorporated into their program.

Squatting Stretching

Put a loaded bar on your back. Sink into a full Squat position and sit there.

A Goblet Squat where you sit in the bottom part of the Squat works, as well.

Bench Press

An Olympic Bar doesn't work. Your chest limits how far you can lower the bar.

Dumbbells Bench Press Stretch

Dumbbells allow you to drop down farther.

To increase the stretch, increase the Dumbbell Weight.

Regarding stretching for >30 seconds prior to exercise, how long do the negative effects last? Could it be the positive effects outlast them?

Regarding stretching for >30 seconds prior to exercise, how long do the negative effects last?

Long Static Stretching

There is somewhat of direct relationship between the length of the time of stretching (amount of time with each stretch and amount of time (number of set) of stretching performed in regard to it decreasing Maximum Strength and Power.

Recovery Time

Research show that strength return to normal after 8 minutes. So, if you perform long static stretches, wait 8 minutes before you start you strength exercise.

Could it be the positive effects outlast them?

The Positive Effects of Stretching

There are some positive benefits to stretching.

One of those is that static stretching between sets or at the end of the exercise appears to increase muscle mass.

The Negative Effects of Stretching

Long static stretching prior to a strength training movement produces a negative effect, a decrease in strength.

Long Static Stretching After Training

If you're going to perform long static stretches, do it after your training.

Connective Tissue is like String Cheese. If you try to bend it when it's cold, it will snap.

Warming up the String Cheese make it easier to bend, it is more pliable.

The same is true with Connective Tissue; it's more pliable when it been heated up in a workout.

Short Static Stretches

It appears that short stretching, less than 30 seconds, between sets or prior to an exercise does little if anything to decrease strength.

Research by Dr Jake Wilson (formerly head of the Tampa Human Performance Lab) indicates that around 30 seconds of stretching after an exercise increases muscle mass without impeding strength. Other have suggest short stretching prior to or between sets does not decrease strength.

Ballistic Stretching

Ballistic Stretching prior is a more aggressive form of stretching that might be considered for warming up, when it comes to strength.

This method is more of a warm up for movement that involves, trains and develops the Stretch Reflex.

Exercise like hops, toe touches performed, etc.

Take Home Message

1) Long Stretching prior to Strength Training decreases strength. If you do it, rest around 8 minutes before you start your strength exercise.

2) After you training is the optimal time to perform static stretches; your Connective Tissue is much more pliable.

3) Short Stretches prior to the exercise or between set of the exercise does not appear to have much, if any negative effect on strength; 30 seconds or less.

4) Dynamic (assertive) Stretches or Ballistic (aggressive) Stretches prior to a Maximum Strength, Power or Speed Movement appear to enhance force production; Stretch Reflex Training.

Last edited:
Long Static Stretching

There is somewhat of direct relationship between the length of the time of stretching (amount of time with each stretch and amount of time (number of set) of stretching performed in regard to it decreasing Maximum Strength and Power.

Recovery Time

Research show that strength return to normal after 8 minutes. So, if you perform long static stretches, wait 8 minutes before you start you strength exercise.

The Positive Effects of Stretching

There are some positive benefits to stretching.

One of those is that static stretching between sets or at the end of the exercise appears to increase muscle mass.

The Negative Effects of Stretching

Long static stretching prior to a strength training movement produces a negative effect, a decrease in strength.

Long Static Stretching After Training

If you're going to perform long static stretches, do it after your training.

Connective Tissue is like String Cheese. If you try to bend it when it's cold, it will snap.

Warming up the String Cheese make it easier to bend, it is more pliable.

The same is true with Connective Tissue; it's more pliable when it been heated up in a workout.

Short Static Stretches

It appears that short stretching, less than 30 seconds, between sets or prior to an exercise does little if anything to decrease strength.

Research by Dr Jake Wilson (formerly head of the Tampa Human Performance Lab) indicates that around 30 seconds of stretching after an exercise increases muscle mass without impeding strength. Other have suggest short stretching prior to or between sets does not decrease strength.

Ballistic Stretching

Ballistic Stretching prior is a more aggressive form of stretching that might be considered for warming up, when it comes to strength.

This method is more of a warm up for movement that involves, trains and develops the Stretch Reflex.

Exercise like hops, toe touches performed, etc.

Take Home Message

1) Long Stretching prior to Strength Training decreases strength. If you do it, rest around 8 minutes before you start your strength exercise.

2) After you training is the optimal time to perform static stretches; your Connective Tissue is much more pliable.

3) Short Stretches prior to the exercise or between set of the exercise does not appear to have much, if any negative effect on strength; 30 seconds or less.

4) Dynamic (assertive) Stretches or Ballistic (aggressive) Stretches prior to a Maximum Strength, Power or Speed Movement appear to enhance force production; Stretch Reflex Training.

I agree, in general the best time to stretch is afterwards.

Personally, I at times get tight, like in the hamstrings, which a long, static stretch helps with. I find that if I do a long stretch during warm-up, I perform better. It must be that the strength decrease dissipates during the warm-up. I have, through anecdotal evidence, considered five minutes as the timeframe instead of eight, but both will do for me.

Also, I have found that loaded stretching works faster than passive stretching. Like take a loaded bar on my back and squat instead of just a bodyweight squat. Doing loaded stretching would mean it's easier to accomplish the task in 30 seconds. However, I wonder if it's the time or the effect we should look at; whether the loaded stretch decreases strength like the long static does, even if it works faster, as it's more effective.

In the last few weeks, I've been falling the knee-to-wall test.

I thought it was a few stiffer-than-normal days, but this may be part of the crap than happens with aging. :(

I never had to really due much dedicated ankle mobility work before -- squats alone seemed to do it.

But now it seems, in addition to the usual hip and shoulder girdle routines, I need to also work in more ankles.

In the last few weeks, I've been falling the knee-to-wall test.

I thought it was a few stiffer-than-normal days, but this may be part of the crap than happens with aging.
Old guy sez--not aging, "just lack of use." Lack of use does start to speak louder the older you get but really, bodies are always use it or lose it. So a little bendy-bendy and I bet your ankles will be back up to par. I'm 70 and have regained a bunch of mobility I'd though gone forever. "It ain't over 'till it's over!"

Old guy sez--not aging, "just lack of use." Lack of use does start to speak louder the older you get but really, bodies are always use it or lose it. So a little bendy-bendy and I bet your ankles will be back up to par. I'm 70 and have regained a bunch of mobility I'd though gone forever. "It ain't over 'till it's over!"

Dude, I squat every day!

3 days a week with barbells, 4 days with body weight. Plus lunges 3 x a week.

How much more dorsiflexion do I need to avoid "lack of use"?

Dude, I squat every day!

I know you are an avid Oly ilfter so I really don't know. Somehow though, however much angle you are missing in the knee-to-wall test, that last bit of ROM must not be getting used or else it would be there. And of course there's the question of "is that amount of end range, what's missing in the test, really effecting anything other than the test?" In other words, is it impacting your actual squatting or any aspect of your life outside the knee-to-wall test?

Dude, I squat every day!

Dude, get out the hard softball, lacrosse ball, or Stick of Woe from time to time and smash em ( wheels ) .

Dude, get out the hard softball, lacrosse ball, or Stick of Woe from time to time and smash em ( wheels ) .

I think that will have to be the next step.

Today I tried this from my home office desk:

They cheat, though, doing it with shoes on.

I'm testing myself barefoot, without lifting shoes on.

I know you are an avid Oly ilfter so I really don't know. Somehow though, however much angle you are missing in the knee-to-wall test, that last bit of ROM must not be getting used or else it would be there. And of course there's the question of "is that amount of end range, what's missing in the test, really effecting anything other than the test?" In other words, is it impacting your actual squatting or any aspect of your life outside the knee-to-wall test?

I'm short of the wall test by about 1/2" in one side, 3/4" on the other.

No real world implications noticed yet.

But....

American Open 2020 is at the end of September.

If I can squat deeper, I can clean deeper, if I can clean deeper, I can clean heavier, which will increase my clean total.

(in theory, assuming I don't botch the jerk)

I think that will have to be the next step.

Today I tried this from my home office desk:

They cheat, though, doing it with shoes on.

I'm testing myself barefoot, without lifting shoes on.

I like the smash and monster band distraction combo for many areas.

And voodoo bands, which I make from blown mtn. bike tubes.

The Big Stick or Stiff Stick of Woe.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom