all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Feasibility of the simple standard for light weight men

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Notirishbjj

First Post
So I did about 4-6 months of S&S, only to drop it about this time last year. Since then I've played with some more barbell based programs like easy strength.
Last time I encountered a major road block, that being my physical size. For context I'm a 5'7 BJJ featherweight, my usual weight is generally between 66-68kg. I'm comfortable in my weight class and don't feel like moving up (just so no one comes with a Rippetoe approach of "just eat more").
Managed to get up to doing the getups with the 32kg bell for timeless simple, but my major issue became the swing. I could comfortably swing the 32kg bell with two hands but had major issues with the one arm variation.
For one, directing the larger Bell between my legs with one arm was challenging and then I always felt like I wasn't getting the full ROM out of the swing, it only coming up to chin level when doing the one handed variation.
Before I make my return to S&S I need to know is it just an issue of my stature or should I have been doing something different

If you need inspiration, just check out @Pavel Macek ’s training log. He recently achieved Sinister at a body weight around 68kg iirc. Simple is absolutely achievable, and beyond.

Also - based on your comments around range of motion…it’s likely worth posting a video for some feedback on your technique, and even better finding a local SF KB course to attend or SFG to work with.

65-67 kg here and have achieved Simple. Nothing but respect for guys and gals who go above and beyond, it's not for me and I have not kept up the standard myself but it's achievable. It just takes more work.
Obviously, having a set weight goal makes it challenging (or easier) for different weight classes. It's the only place "entry level" SF courses don't really care about about relative weight (All SFL standards are relative, SFG snatch/technique goals based on bodyweight ) which is kind of interesting. I would consider the 28kg a worthy goal for our weight class, considering the 32 is almost half bodyweight.

65-67 kg here and have achieved Simple. Nothing but respect for guys and gals who go above and beyond, it's not for me and I have not kept up the standard myself but it's achievable. It just takes more work.
Obviously, having a set weight goal makes it challenging (or easier) for different weight classes. It's the only place "entry level" SF courses don't really care about about relative weight (All SFL standards are relative, SFG snatch/technique goals based on bodyweight ) which is kind of interesting. I would consider the 28kg a worthy goal for our weight class, considering the 32 is almost half bodyweight.
Okay different question. What weight should I return with? I've used some swings with the 24kg in my programs since I mover away from S&S but I haven't touched single arm swings or the getup since then.
Then how fast should I up the weight again?

Okay different question. What weight should I return with? I've used some swings with the 24kg in my programs since I mover away from S&S but I haven't touched single arm swings or the getup since then.

Read the book carefully, follow the instructions therein. It's all there for you, including "how fast should I up the weight?"

-S-

Not quite sure I totally understand the question, but I would use whatever bell you can do 10x10 with (maybe a short break in period prior depending on how much volume you've done recently) and then read S&S for recommend progression

I don't think it's your stature - I'm a couple inches taller than you, and 2 or 3 kg heavier, and in a similar ballpark for kettlebell weight (32kg swings, 24kg TGU, currently starting to get the feel of the 32kg). I don't think think the slight height difference would make much difference, as my wife is only 5' 2" and is catching me up quite quickly.

I made the mistake of only doing two-handed swings at the beginning, found I could get up to 36kg relatively easily. I figured getting a lot of time at two-handed 36kg swings would make me good at 24kg and/or 32kg one-handed swings. It did not. I did suck at them.

I went back down to 16kg one-handed swings and got the form dialled in. Then I worked my way back up to 24kg, then up again to 32kg one-handed swings. Now I don't suck at them.

Go back down in weight, get the form most excellent. Treat the 16kg as though it was 32kg and work back up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom