all posts post new thread

Kettlebell FEEDBACK: 100 Snatch Reps in Under 5:00

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

surftrip

Level 2 Valued Member
Certified Instructor

As I train for the SFG I in Tampa in a couple of weeks, I wanted to film one of my 100 snatch test prep workouts and get some feedback from the group. Most importantly, I want to ensure that my reps are good, my descent from lockout is correct (I unhinge the shoulder), and just general feedback. Kettlebells have changed my life and hardstyle is something that I plan to lean into for life, so I'm really eager to ensure my form is tight.

Video of snatch test:

Thank you in advance.

As I train for the SFG I in Tampa in a couple of weeks, I wanted to film one of my 100 snatch test prep workouts and get some feedback from the group. Most importantly, I want to ensure that my reps are good, my descent from lockout is correct (I unhinge the shoulder), and just general feedback. Kettlebells have changed my life and hardstyle is something that I plan to lean into for life, so I'm really eager to ensure my form is tight.

Video of snatch test:

Thank you in advance.

Beast!

Possible you had a few no reps, off hand on the thigh when you were setting the bell down to rest a bit. Three no reps and the test ends.
Two no reps would have put you close to timing out. Many cert judges on the forum, hopefully one will comment, my assessment may be incorrect.
Nice work so far.

Great job! Always good to see how hard it is. You've obviously trained well to be able to do it.

I think you'll be good on technique, but 3 things to be aware of: 1) I'd work on the hand switch -- doing a good swing switch is the safest bet. Your first hand switch was iffy... the rest were better. 2) as Don said, be careful about touching the leg with the off hand, and 3) your descent form is fine, but some hardstyle purists prefer the bell to come over the top of the hand instead of around the side. You don't have to do that for the 5-min test -- around the side is acceptable, I have seen in past posts from @Brett Jones -- so I would not suggest you change your style now. Just something to consider for the future if you end up preferring it more, and/or if they teach that technique specifically during the technique portions at the cert (I am not sure, since mine was 6 yrs ago).

Here's an old video of mine for reference on points 1) and 3): video

Good luck at your cert!

Solid work, Congrats !
When parking the bell do not touch your knee or leg or thigh with your non working arm.
Switching hands mid-air I believe it has to be done in a hand to hand manner, so try not having both hands on the bell.
From a technique point of view, using the non working arm as well (like having it go back and forth as you move), instead of keeping it to the side, will help.
Very nice work non the less!!!

I may be misinterpreting it, but doesn't the second point below from the SFG-1 requirements regarding snatch test suggest that his switch with two hands on the bell is allowed and wouldn't result in disqualification?

The attempt will be disqualified if the candidate has:
  • Three incidents of “No counts.”
  • Touched the kettlebell or the working arm with the non-working arm, except when switching hands.
  • Let go of the kettlebell before it has touched the ground (dropped it rather than set it down).
You are being redirected...

Still a strong effort.

Now that you know what to work on to avoid getting DQd, if you are gonna do another snatch test before the weekend, we'd be most pleased if you upload the vid so we can see the improvements

I may be misinterpreting it, but doesn't the second point below from the SFG-1 requirements regarding snatch test suggest that his switch with two hands on the bell is allowed and wouldn't result in disqualification?

The attempt will be disqualified if the candidate has:
  • Three incidents of “No counts.”
  • Touched the kettlebell or the working arm with the non-working arm, except when switching hands.
  • Let go of the kettlebell before it has touched the ground (dropped it rather than set it down).
You are being redirected...

It might be, yes... I think what would make that rep (at 1:38 in the video) a no rep is that he has both hands on the bell for the part of the descent where the kettelbell passes through the legs, and back up. But I don't see that addressed specifically in the rules, so we'd probably have to get a Team Leader or someone else from leadership to weigh in to know for sure.

While we wait for leadership to chime in, it's best we default to the manual..

And I quote "a repetition is given a no count if the candidate has:
failed to lock out the elbow
Pressed the kettlebell out to the finish
Failed to stop all movement (the kettlebell, the body, and the feet) at the lockout
Touched the chest or the shoulder with the working arm and/or the kettlebell on descent (the "no count" will be announced on the next repetition for example "fifty last rep no count fifty)
Placed the free hand on the knee or thigh during the execution of a repetition

So with that being said, you have two options

Park the bell then switch hands
Swing switch

RE: hand switches
Make them a clean hand-to-hand switch at the top of a "swing switch" vs. trying to switch hands on the drop.

Technique overall is good and I'm sure there will be some work on your drop at the cert.

Thank you all:
  1. I felt like in my study I read that the non-working arm should not swing, so that's why I have kept it generally static. It's nice to know it can.
  2. I see the hand/thigh issue when I set the bell down around 80. I will address it.
  3. I expect I will learn some technique tips at the cert before I test, so I look forward to that.
Thanks all. I really appreciate it and I will re-post a test, again, at least once, before the cert. Lastly, just for a wink to the level IIs, I did hire one to also help with form and it has been a game-changer. All candidates should hire an experienced SFG coach while they are learning IMHO.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom