all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fighter Pull-up Program (BW only) - Can it add muscle mass?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NonStop

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm interested in whether doing the fighter pull-up program with just BW can add extra muscle.

I am aware that there is Stefan Hedengren's program that utilizes the fighter pullup program for mass, but involves using added weight. However I currently only have my BW and a bar at disposal for the next month (otherwise I would do his program!).

Also, I'm already in slightly higher-rep ranges. I use neutral-grip chins (doesn't aggravate my wrists/shoulders), and my rep max is about 15 (going to test this week). With higher rep sets being the case I gather rest breaks are fairly high, with 3mins+

So can the program, with higher-rep BW sets but longer necessary rest periods still add muscle mass? I'm sure it might not be the optimal program for building muscle, but would like to add a little mass while increasing my rep max.

Thank you in advance!

Hey,

High rep sets will build above all endurance. From my experience, you can increase your physical abilities (not especially muscle mass) doing high rep sets (15 or more) with short rest periods (25s or less).

Mass is not an easy thing: when I wanted to gain a bit of mass to increase strength, I mainly change my diet.

Basically, you can make weigthed pull ups, but based on the fighter pull up program. Simultaneously, eat more (above all proteins).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you for the replies people! As I said, I don't have weight to add so I'll leave my program as it is. Have been able to add muscle mass with BW only, using sets of 5, working up to 10x5, and applying heavy/light/medium principle. :)

You can make weights - backpack with rocks, a dumbbell held between your feet, and bowling bag with old college text books you hang off your foot.

-S-

You can make weights - backpack with rocks, a dumbbell held between your feet, and bowling bag with old college text books you hang off your foot.

-S-

Very true! I have a bit of a walk to the park where I exercise but it is doable but only to a point though. I still think though even with weight added the fighter pullup program at lower reps might still not be the best program? And I still reckon BW alone can yield a lot in regards to muscle and strength. Being able to knock out 10x5 chins with only 60-90secs rest (ala Tom Furman's Armour of War) definitely counts for something!

Hey,

The aim of fighter pull up program is to be strong, not "heavy". IMHO, what you have to consider is your ratio muscle mass / total mass

Kind regards,

Pet'

Being able to knock out 10x5 chins with only 60-90secs rest (ala Tom Furman's Armour of War) definitely counts for something

Very true. In my experience, building up to numbers with rest intervals like that does build mass. Maybe not ideal for someone who has been bodybuilding for a long time, but for someone who one day decides they want to add a few pounds of muscle as a secondary goal, definitely. Pistols and pull-ups are a good pair of exercises for that sort of work.

Hello,

There is a quite popular / famous method in France, called Methode Lafay (Lafay's Method in english). This is an only bodyweight method. It is based on set with high reps (max reps before failure) and very short rest period (25s or less). It works well to build both strength, endurance and volume.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hey,

The aim of fighter pull up program is to be strong, not "heavy". IMHO, what you have to consider is your ratio muscle mass / total mass

Kind regards,

Pet'

Indeed, well that defintiely means Fighter Pullup isn't the way forward for mass. Definitely more strength-based. I agree, I'm pretty lean, around 15%, possibly a bit less :) Currently 195lbs at 6 3'. Would actually like to get leaner but with an eye towards building muscle in the future. And indeed one can build muscle whilst losing fat at the same time; Can you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?

Very true. In my experience, building up to numbers with rest intervals like that does build mass. Maybe not ideal for someone who has been bodybuilding for a long time, but for someone who one day decides they want to add a few pounds of muscle as a secondary goal, definitely. Pistols and pull-ups are a good pair of exercises for that sort of work.

Thank for confirming :) Totally agree, its not really pure bodybuilding but definitely like you said adds something. Alas pistols still alude me, but finding super-strict Bulgarian Split Squats with a little added weight works wonders if done for higher-reps and short rest periods.

Hello,

There is a quite popular / famous method in France, called Methode Lafay (Lafay's Method in english). This is an only bodyweight method. It is based on set with high reps (max reps before failure) and very short rest period (25s or less). It works well to build both strength, endurance and volume.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Awesome, I'll look into that, thank you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom