all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Fighter Pull-up Program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abbey Gottinger

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I am working toward my pull-up for Iron Maiden but before I start adding weight I want to have 10 solid body weight pull-ups. Currently I’m at 7 on a good day. I want to start the fighter pull-up program and was wondering if spacing it out 3 times a week with would still be effective. I know it’s supposed to be every day but my schedule makes it a bit hard right now.

Does anyone have thoughts on that? Thank you!

I think that whatever you do it will be effective as long as you keep going with consistency. Training Pull-ups three times a week is good option, even though I would not call it FPP. Fighter call for five days on followed by one day off, but you could try two days on followed by one day off.

Three days a week will work.
Why wait to add wait till you reach 10 to add weight?I think you can certainly add weight now--just use the Fighter scheme starting with low reps--watch for overuse which is more likely with higher reps.

Hello,

I agree with @Kettlebelephant . I would even say that most people benefit more from FPP using a 3x a week schedule. It leaves more time for muscles to recover, assuming you also train for the other events, but also more time for joints and ligaments. Those require more time than muscle to recover anyway.

Some folks reported kind of burn out due to both volume and ROM (if you go for a dead hang at each rep). More rest is then - IMO - a good option to reduce injury risk.

Kind regards,

Pet'

5+ days per week of FPP and I can only train for about three weeks. 3-4 times per week and I can go about six weeks before needing to take a break. Weighted or unweighted hasn't really mattered.

Three days a week will work.
Why wait to add wait till you reach 10 to add weight?I think you can certainly add weight now--just use the Fighter scheme starting with low reps--watch for overuse which is more likely with higher reps.

I was considering that as well! Just starting with a weight I can do at least 3 pull-ups with and going from there.

Hello,

I agree with @Kettlebelephant . I would even say that most people benefit more from FPP using a 3x a week schedule. It leaves more time for muscles to recover, assuming you also train for the other events, but also more time for joints and ligaments. Those require more time than muscle to recover anyway.

Some folks reported kind of burn out due to both volume and ROM (if you go for a dead hang at each rep). More rest is then - IMO - a good option to reduce injury risk.

Kind regards,

Pet'

That makes sense. I have had shoulder problems in the past and have just within the last year been able to start working on pull-ups again. I don't want to over do it. Thank you!!

If my goal was a single weighted pullup I wouldn't waste my time chasing an arbitrary number of bodyweight reps. I'd use the 3RM FPP and flex weight up and down as needed 3x a week.

All regularly repping BW pullups has ever done for me is destroy my elbows. Some people love em'. YMMV

Hello,

It remains possible to at least maintain pull up strength using bodyweight only. I did it for a while using several strategies:
- Several sets (I did 5) very close to failure
- Progressively harder variation (Convict Conditioning is an interesting example in this regard).

Nonetheless, both of these are less "effective" because:
- The require more time and "grit" (especially when you go for the 1st option)
- You can not directly measure your progression regarding your goal (ability to do a heavier weighted pull up).

However, I agree with @Wes P . When the goal is to do a single weighted, then the best option is to tackle FPP (for instance) and stick to it.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom