all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fighter Pull up Programm

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Diego693

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi, I'm new here i just saw the protovol of the fighter pullup programm, but i have some doubts abour it, for example is this like GTG but more precise like for example in GTG you cut the repetitions by 50% and do sets over the day in this case you woulddo the same but starting with your max?, how i can combine with other exercises? for example HSPU ? how can i include this in my trainning or i jmust need to cut the other exercises off, is this a long term gain or a shor term, i hope you can respond, regards. PD: sorry for my english

i forgot to tell ask you if someone could help me to understand the metodology, for exaple my max pull ups are 11 so how could that goes, i will started with 11 and then 9 and so on or how exactly i'd do it, how about the rest times?, i don't know if this is a good idea but maybe have a sesion on the morning with 5 to 10 mi between the five sets, and maye in the afternoon a similar set with HSPU could be efficient to optimice two exercises?

Hello,

@Diego693
FPP and GTG are two different strategies.

First of all a few questions:
- what is your current routine ?
- what is your goal ?
- do you have an injury history ?

FPP calls for a precise number of sets and reps, as follows:
Nonetheless, in general, FPP is very taxing. Then, doing it on alternate day is fine and the program works the same.
You always do a set when you are rested.

GTG is different and does not call for a precise number of repetitions. Basically, it works as follows:
1. You test your maximal number of repetitions (for instance pull ups). You get a number. For the sake of the example, you get 10.
2. You divide this number by 2. So 10/2 = 5
3. Multiple times throughout the day, you do 1 set of 5 repetitions. You stop only when you are tired.

GTG implies that some days, you will do more repetitions than other. This is "feeling based". You stop the practice of the day when tired. If this is not your main routine, most people advise practicing following the rule "2 days on, 1 day off". In general, we do not use GTG for more than 2 moves simultaneously.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Anyone know when the larger jumps btwn sets such as 12-10-8 etc for a 15 max begins?

Last edited:
Hello,

@Diego693
FPP and GTG are two different strategies.

First of all a few questions:
- what is your current routine ?
- what is your goal ?
- do you have an injury history ?

FPP calls for a precise number of sets and reps, as follows:
Nonetheless, in general, FPP is very taxing. Then, doing it on alternate day is fine and the program works the same.
You always do a set when you are rested.

GTG is different and does not call for a precise number of repetitions. Basically, it works as follows:
1. You test your maximal number of repetitions (for instance pull ups). You get a number. For the sake of the example, you get 10.
2. You divide this number by 2. So 10/2 = 5
3. Multiple times throughout the day, you do 1 set of 5 repetitions. You stop only when you are tired.

GTG implies that some days, you will do more repetitions than other. This is "feeling based". You stop the practice of the day when tired. If this is not your main routine, most people advise practicing following the rule "2 days on, 1 day off". In general, we do not use GTG for more than 2 moves simultaneously.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you for your response, so my current goal is to been able to do as many pull ups as i can and as many HSPU as i can so i dont't know how to combine those in a workout for maximall results or how could i do it with the FPP or GTG :(

Hello,

Thank you for your response, so my current goal is to been able to do as many pull ups as i can and as many HSPU as i can so i dont't know how to combine those in a workout for maximall results

If you go for FPP, alternate day may be an option:
Monday: pull up
Tuesday: HSPU
Wednesday: pull up
Thursday: HSPU
Friday: pull up
Saturday: HSPU
Sunday: rest

To know you max HSPU, then, you have to try how many you can do. Find a wall, then perform the move and count ;) Then, you'll see in what "category" you fall into (5 repetitions, 6 repetitions, etc...). From there, you apply the sets & reps progression mentioned in the article.

If you go for the GTG option, you also have to find what your max number is. Then, you can follow the steps listed in #3. You may perform the GTG 2 days in a row, the third being a rest day.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you for your response, so my current goal is to been able to do as many pull ups as i can and as many HSPU as i can so i dont't know how to combine those in a workout for maximall results or how could i do it with the FPP or GTG :(
I agree with Pet in post #8, you could alternate days with pull ups and HSPU's, and use the FPP chart for your HSPU reps as well. Rest as needed btwn sets for max strength/power .

Last edited:
Thank you guys, one last question, what about the rest between sets? is as long as i needed like in GTG it could be between 15 min to an hour or what is the optimal ratio?

I've done FPP a few times and adapted it to a few things in a few different ways. My lessons learned:
  1. Multiple movements can be done daily as long as they are not agonistic. Alternating days is not necessary.
  2. If doing all the sets in a single session, drop the reps 20% each set except the double set.
  3. If doing the sets GTG through the day, drop the reps by 10% each set except the double set.
  4. If doing less than 50 reps in the session, the program can last about 5 weeks
  5. If doing more than 100 reps in the session, the program can go about 3 weeks.
  6. Add 5% to the starting set each week when max reps is over 40, 10% when over 30, 15% 10-30, and 20% when under 10.

It would be a good programm like for example start in ther morning with FPP with HSPU regression with 5RM program and 10 minutes of rest between sets an then in the afternoon the FPP with weighted pull ups because i want more strenght in bouth, so mi 5RM with 15kg, so i do the sets in like kind of GTG so i would do 5 then in an hour i do 4 and so on it would be a good idea? i want to start as soon as possible but i want to cover all the variables in order to be proficient and not derimental for my trainning

It would be a good programm like for example start in ther morning with FPP with HSPU regression with 5RM program and 10 minutes of rest between sets an then in the afternoon the FPP with weighted pull ups because i want more strenght in bouth, so mi 5RM with 15kg, so i do the sets in like kind of GTG so i would do 5 then in an hour i do 4 and so on it would be a good idea? i want to start as soon as possible but i want to cover all the variables in order to be proficient and not derimental for my trainning
It wouldn’t be FPP... but no reason why it wouldn’t be effective...

what exactly wouldn't e a FPP? the pull up in the afternoon or the HSPU? is it beause of the rest period?
The afternoon pull-ups. Because of the rest period between sets. It’s not exactly GTG and it’s not exactly FPP. I guess you could call it a hybrid. I haven’t seen where there is any prescribed rest time between sets but typically in these sorts of things it’s in minutes, not hours. I run FPP from time to time both bodyweight and weighted. I typically use 3 minutes between sets. (Which is something that I got from Steve House)

But again what you are doing should be fine.

You don’t really state what your training goals are. Are you training for something in particular?

wow, but even Pavel said that the rest times for power should be between 5 and 15 minutes, 3 minutes for the FPP, man if you do that, that´s crazy, my currentlu goals are increment my weighted reps and the HSPU reps, so i want to balance that. vertical push and vertical pull.

Hello,

@Diego693
When you do GTG, you usually do the repetition throughout the day, based on your activities, for instance when you go to the basement, when you pass a specific door, etc... So the daily life is supposed to manage your rest.

Another option could be to use a timer and doing your sets every X minutes : for example, every 45 minutes during 6-8 hours. GTG is not a training session.

FPP is a session in itself so you are 'obliged' to compress a little the rest period while performing a higher number of reps, both with reason of course.

3 to 5 minutes of rest between set is a good mark. Each repetition has to be crisp, powerful. As @Don Fairbanks said, your last rep has to be like the first one.

Kind regards,

Pet'

wow, but even Pavel said that the rest times for power should be between 5 and 15 minutes, 3 minutes for the FPP, man if you do that, that´s crazy, my currentlu goals are increment my weighted reps and the HSPU reps, so i want to balance that. vertical push and vertical pull.
Pull-ups typically aren’t a power exercise...
That being said I concur with @pet' in the 3-5 min mark

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom