all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fighter Pull up - Rest Time

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MatiPK

Level 1 Valued Member
I have a question how long do you have to rest in fighter pull up if my goal is to increase my strength (5RM)? And how long do you have to rest in that program if I want to increase the numbers of reps (15RM)?

Hello,

@MatiPK
I have a question how long do you have to rest in fighter pull up if my goal is to increase my strength (5RM)? And how long do you have to rest in that program if I want to increase the numbers of reps (15RM)?
IMO, in both cases, you go for the next set only if you know you will do it successfully.

Kind regards,

Pet'

increasing 15 reps to 20 reps is endurance, isn't it? Will the long breaks improve my endurance to TSC?

I've always read that if you want to build up strength (5RM) you want to rest for full recovery (3-5 minutes).

If you're looking to develop endurance/high reps, then you want to keep the rest period short (30-60 secs). Just look it up, most sources recommend this. Such as:
Rest periods Between Sets: Everything you ever needed to know!

Since you'll be resting less and reps are more fatiguing, you might need to drop reps much faster each set than if you were doing sets close to 5 reps.

Just my 2 cents

I am doing the 5RM pattern for bar-assist pull-ups (I can't do one strict one yet). I do two sets in the morning: one upon waking, one about 20 minutes later when I'm on the way out the door. Then the other four sets are done over 2 hours or so from when I get home.

Hello

I second @305pelusa 's post. I used to work on 5 sets of max reps (technical failure - 1) with 25s rest between sets. Of course, it builds strength because from a session to another, you generally manage to add one rep. However, it above all builds endurance and conditioning.

Using 3 to 5 of 1 to 5 reps, with a weight will build strength. In that case, you will go for 3 - 5 minutes because you want to be perfectly fresh to start again.

Kind regards,

Pet'

For strength-endurance, I haven't found short rest periods helpful. Rest sufficiently to give a good effort the next time and make each set count.

@Physical Culture, care to comment? My memory of GS work was a few long sets per session.

-S-

Hello,

When I go for bodyweight pull ups, I usually go for high reps with low rest.

When I go for heavy weighted pull ups, I usually do them very low reps (around 3 - 5) with high rest (5 minutes)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I usually do not monitor my rest time. I just go whem I feel 100% ready and confident that I will own the next set

weighted will automatically increase your bw reps but once really high reps you need more work at higher reps. Rest is important for weighted or bodyweight because you do not want to train to failure. Higher rep ladders will have bigger jumps than in reps than your weighted sets.

I would add long hollow hangs and long flexed hangs on off days this will be helpful with building grip so that it doesn't give out prior to your pulling muscles. Also make sure when training high rep to pay close attention to your elbows as they can flare up quick. Also counter all the grip work with stretching of fingers and wrist.

Hello,

I usually do not monitor my rest time. I just go whem I feel 100% ready and confident that I will own the next set
A strategy could be to record your previous needed rests. Then, you do an average. Then you consider this average as a max. Every month (for instance) you try to reduce your rest about 5s. For instance, you needed 1 minute. So you go for 55s, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Marc
Swings can also help to build a strong pull up if your grip recovers well because they work some of the same muscle chains. This is one of the positively surprising aspect of this move ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom