all posts post new thread

Old Forum Fighter Pull Ups + Sprints....and?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Wesker11

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello, I'm looking run the Fighter Pull Up program for a month. I also plan on doing sprints 3 days a week. Can I add anything like PTTP deads/bench press or would that be too much?

Tough question to answer without knowing more about your background.

You might find it interesting to look up Coach Barry Ross who has his sprinters deadlift.

-S-

I am just a general strength enthusiast really. I have a double body weight dead lift, can press a 32kg both sides. I run S&S with the 32kg, but I can only do 3 strict pull ups. My main goal is pull ups/back development, I'm not looking to increase sprint time. Just doing sprints for an efficient cardio workout under 20 minutes.

Are you keeping S&S in all this? If so, it's plenty of cardio for general purposes, IMHO.

-S-

Nope, taking a break from S&S for a month. I plan to return once the FPU month is finished.

Try concentrate on the exentric part of the movement. Pull up, pause and hold your position for 3-5 sec and go down really slow.

I'd be sure to do your pullups, which are your priority, before your deadlifts.

-S-

Do you pull conventional or sumo?

Whats your volume going to look like?

This will play a large role in your decision making process as you address your workout.

Something like this may work. **PLEASE NOTE< ITS A VERY GENERIC TEMPLATE :)

Day #1

Deadlift
FPP
alactic sprint work- for example, perform an :8 sprint, rest :60-80 and repeat. I would start with 6-8 reps and go from there. Record your distance in each sprint, find 85% to 90% of your max sprint time and thats your target number on your sprints.

Day #2
Bench Press
FPP
tempo runs- Run 50-70 yds at 65-70% and walk back. Focus on stride length and good mechanics. You should feel as if your are floating. You should never chase the burn on these, if your legs are heavy, rest longer

Day #3
FPP and a maybe a heavy 2H swing day. Do a set of heavy swings for :30, rest for 2- 2:30 minutes and do some repeats. Make sure that your hips are fast and you have a nice hardstyle swing.

Doing FPP 3 days a week will still work but it will last longer than prescribed. You could always add pull-ups in on other days

Thank you for contributing to this thread, Mike.

BTW, the coffee offer still stands - email with a shipping address and I'll send you some soon.

-S-

I'm assuming "back development" means hypertrophy? If so I'd suggest suppinating your grip and performing chins instead of overhand pull-ups, you'll put the lats through a greater ROM, and be able to do more reps and add weight faster than a pull-up. Working up to adding weight on the chin should transfer over when performing a strict pull-up as well so you shouldn't miss out on those numbers if you have a rep goal in mind.

I'd also say regardless of the number of days you deadlift that you keep the reps per set to 6-8 for more hypertrophy. Apologies if I read that wrong, disregard all the above.

DL similar to Pavel's blog for his fathers program for the month or so that you're on it, drop the jumps each week as needed rather than the reps per set, perhaps add an extra set or two each session if only doing it for a few weeks:

http://www.strongfirst.com/be-a-man-among-men/

That program looks like it would fit in nicely. So it would look something like...

Monday
FPP: 3,2,1,1
Sprints: 8 seconds sprint, 12 seconds active recovery for 20 minutes

Tuesday
FPP: 3,2,1,1
DL: 155x5, (155x10) x 3

Wednesday
FPP: 3,2,2,1

Thursday
FPP: 3,3,2,1
DL: (190x3) x 2, (225x3) x 10

Friday
FPP: 4,3,2,1

Deadlifts adjusted for a 345 1RM. So then I would have a pull and a hinge. I'm leaving out a push but maybe that would be too much anyway.

Would someone mind commenting on my form please? Am I getting high enough and are these good enough to start with the 3 RM program?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hw42bnekLBg

Thanks for any comments.

Looks solid, have you tried a slightly narrower grip? Only thing I'd change is to actively squeeze your legs together as you pull. Adding 10-15lbs to drive your hips against and assist your legs may actually create a stronger pull immediately.

I agree with Zach - try a slightly narrower grip, and also try adding a little weight, and also try squeezing your legs together. All good tips from Zach here.

Try to get higher at the top. The middle rep looked the best to me in this regard.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom