all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fighter Pullup Program - a question and confusion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paul_Cole9

Level 2 Valued Member
I am going to finish the 5 rep FPP later this week. I won't be able to do 15 pullups, which is where the next 'specified' program begins in the article linked below. I think I will be maxing at about 11-12.

If you were me, how would you bridge the gap and build up to 15?

Also, I am confused as to the progression. Up to day 5 is straightforward.

I am confused thereafter. One way I have thought of getting around it is to add two reps a day to one set SOMEWHERE until day 11 whilst keeping the maximum reps in any one set at 14.

Will this work and, in fact, is this what the program itself instructs?

the fighter pullup program revisited - StrongFirst

Hang on, I think I get it; it would look like this?

12, 10, 8, 6, 4
12, 10, 8, 6, 6
12, 10, 8, 6, 6
12, 10, 10, 8, 6
12, 12, 10, 8, 6
OFF
14, 12, 10, 8, 6
14, 12, 10, 8, 8
14, 12, 10, 10, 8
14, 12, 12, 10, 8
14, 14, 12, 10, 8
OFF for few days, then test

@Paul_Cole9, what's you've outlined above looks like the proper progression.

Please don't forget that this is a peaking program - you can't really do it for more than a few weeks at a time because the volume will cause burn-out. If you're able, take your time and train with a different approach to pullups for a while, and you might give the FPP a try again in a few months time. My usual recommendation is that, if you haven't done weighted pullup work before, switch to that, increase your 1RM, and then return to volume work for the next training cycle and you'll very likely find your numbers have improved.

-S-

Thanks for the reply, Steve. How would you program the weighted work? Maybe up to sets of a maximum of 5 reps, whatever feel like doing on a particular day, always leaving reps and sets in the bank?

Paul...

I do weighted:
Off
Off
I find that this works really well. Volume is low enough for me anyway that so far burn out hasn't been an issue. Every two or three rotations of this cycle I will take a break and do some other pull up routine for a week or so, then back to the FPP

Paul...

I do weighted:
Off
Off
I find that this works really well. Volume is low enough for me anyway that so far burn out hasn't been an issue. Every two or three rotations of this cycle I will take a break and do some other pull up routine for a week or so, then back to the FPP

I've run this progression with weighted pullups many times with good results. Even though it is the nominal 3RM program, I recommend NOT starting with a true 3RM. Start with a weight that is a struggle to get 5 reps with. By the end of the progression, that set of 5 should now be relatively comfortable.

Thanks, all. I think I will just use the 3RM and 5RM programming with weights else the volume will get too much. Also like the look of OffWidth's combination of the two; that could fit the bill as the volume is relatively low.

Where did you get this progression from, or is it one you designed, yourself?

Thanks again, guys.

Thanks, all. I think I will just use the 3RM and 5RM programming with weights else the volume will get too much. Also like the look of OffWidth's combination of the two; that could fit the bill as the volume is relatively low.

Where did you get this progression from, or is it one you designed, yourself?

Thanks again, guys.

The progression @offwidth posted is the 3RM progression from the fighter pullup article you linked to in your original post (although the same article has has been posted elsewhere around the net for quite a few years).

I have thought of another option: use the 3rep max program but do each 'day' for 3 days to really own the moves.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom