all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fighter pullup program...scaled back?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
Have mostly been using gtg principles for pullups. If I recall, the 5 reps of FPP can be modified to 3 reps. Using the same principles, can it be scaled if one's max is one rep at present. If so, how?

I am thinking gtg is likely the better option, but was curious as to people's thoughts and if this is even a possibility...thanks in advance!

You could use a monster band and go through your ladder beginning with 5 or 3, or maybe without a band, 1-1-1-1-1, with 4-5 minutes rest in btwn.

Hello,

@crazycanuck
If the max is one rep, I would do 5 singles with plenty of rest, as @Don Fairbanks said.

Nonetheless, I am not sure it would be the best option because pull up tend to require a lot of rest as soon as we either do them weighted or if they are difficult.

Sounds weird, but the daily dose deadlift programme tend not to apply that well. It works though, but only to break a plateau.

GTG would work better as a long term strategy, to get both a lot of rest and a lot of volume.

Kind regards,

Pet'

What about GTG and FPP, can we run both along? FPP 3 times a week, and GTG on alternate days?

Hello,

IMHO, GTG alongside FPP may be too much volume and not enough rest. The purpose of alternate days with FPP is precisely to gey rest.

That being said, we can still practice 'accessory work' (mostly joints health) to make FPP even more efficient :
- dead hang
- skin the cat
- some kind of easy vertical push to balance things out

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm pretty sure that if your max is one rep, doing two days of three singles like is laid out in the FPP 1RM wont get you to a set of 2. I was at 1RM until recently and I wasn't even able to do 3 singles in a day. Doing 1 rep probably doesn't mean you can do 6-8 in a day even with ample rest. Most of the time if you can only do 1 rep it's on a good day and some days you can't even do that 1 rep.

I'd do a 3-5RM FPP with partner assisted pull-ups or ACE (artificially controlled environment) if you want to try something like the FPP.

Remember that there is a difference between a 1rm and a 1trm...

Let's assume you're referring to the latter.

What I would do.

Start with 2 singles .. do this for 3 training sessions..

Once that is complete, move up to 3 singles, once again complete it for 3 training sessions..

Then go 4 singles ..

Once that is complete.. go for 5 singles..

So a sample progression could go like this

You get the gist.. hope this helps

@crazycanuck reading the article below got me thinking of you and I landed here when searching the forums for pullup programmes.
I have just started today. Although I can do more than 3 pullups in a row (5 ,aybe some more on really strong days...some time ago when bouldering regularly *sigh*), I want to do it like it is written down, not spread out ober a month. I need more consistency with the pullups because they aren't my favourite but those numbers look doable for 12 days ;) last challenge this year finished in 2021 - to begin with a success.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom