all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fighter pullup question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
When I tried the fighter pullup program a few years ago the volume was too much for me and I ended up stopping after a couple of weeks. I'd like to try it again but on a three day per week schedule, I'm hoping the extra rest days will make it more sustainable. Has anyone else done this? Just wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts to share. Thanks.

As someone doing the FPP for TSC prep, I would say that you simply must do the FPP in a GTG format. I don't think this is optional; even 5mins of rest between sets is too tiring.

As an example, today I did a set of 8 when I woke up, maybe half an hour later, a set of 7. I'm at work now, so this evening I'll do sets of 6, 5 and 4 with at least 15 minutes apart.

I'm on my second week, and last Monday I tried to do 6,5,4,3,2 in one session with 5 minutes of rest between sets, and I was still sore on Thursday morning (I GTG'd for the rest of the week).

Please take this advice seriously, especially if you hate soreness like I do. I've no doubt that the program works the wonders that it promises, but I think it will only work provided all reps are perfect and performed while fresh. GTG guarantees quality and freshness.

Also, start modest. Test your max reps, and take off at least 3 to decide where abouts in the program you should start.

When I tried the fighter pullup program a few years ago the volume was too much for me and I ended up stopping after a couple of weeks. I'd like to try it again but on a three day per week schedule, I'm hoping the extra rest days will make it more sustainable. Has anyone else done this? Just wondering if anyone has experience or thoughts to share. Thanks.
@the hansenator
What are your training goals requiring pull-ups?
An alternative is the 1RM programme. This is only done several times per week.

@the hansenator
What are your training goals requiring pull-ups?
An alternative is the 1RM programme. This is only done several times per week.
My goal isn't really specific. Just trying to get stronger and get a little better at pullups. I was thinking of following the fighter pullup format during my normal 3/week workouts. Three days per week will give 4 rest days per week instead of one every five days which I thought might help prevent burnout.

I see no reason for what you are suggesting not to work for your stated purpose.

But other advice given thus far is good too. GTG works well.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

GTG would be harder to fit in my schedule so I'm looking for something that can be done during my normal workouts.

I've been doing straight sets 3/week for about eight weeks and kind of stalled so I thought it was time to try something different. I suppose it would be "same but different" since it's the same exercise with slightly different programming.

The key (and catch) is you need to keep adjusting the weight. You need to be using something pretty close to your 1RM....
But it does work!

Dan John recommends 3 days as about right for FPP here: Pull Ups

Personally, I've also found that daily on FPP to be too much for my joints, even with a slow buildup in volume. I can GTG but find waving the volume (some very low volume days, some days higher) to be kinder to the joints. That or more standard programming (2-3 times per week).

Maybe you could try chunking it up a bit like instead of doing all 5 days in a row, do 3 days one day off 2 days on, one day off and then start the next block.

I made it up to 5,5,4,3,2 following the Fighter Pullup Program three days/week. The volume is starting to build up so I'm thinking of adding some weight and starting over at 3,2,1,1

I suppose it's something you work up to but more than about 4 reps starts to feel kind of tedious. Maybe my endurance is just bad. Not that 5 reps is especially high. But I'm looking forward to pulling harder for fewer reps for a while.

@the hansenator , I added 3 days/week of the FPP into some class programming at TNT and had very good success with it... Some folks followed the program using chin-ups (band-assisted & otherwise) while others did pull-ups (band-assisted & otherwise). Most people increased their RM by a 2-4 reps over the course of six weeks, and one woman finally was able to do a pull-up a few weeks after (during which she did unassisted chin-ups for 1-5 singles every time she came to the gym, which was 3-4 times/week).

So, 3 days/week will be fine for you, I'm sure. I'd also suggest using different grips, either by set or by day... pull-up grip (palms facing away), chin-up grip (palms facing towards), alternating grip (i.e. one palm away, one towards), and neutral/suitcase grip. And stretch and work on active extension afterward. All of that should help to prevent elbow aches & pains!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom