all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Finally, Sinister at 60!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Scottie888

Level 1 Valued Member
Pardon the misleading title but in all honestly, NO I have NOT reached S&S Sinister...yet. I began my KB S&S journey roughly about a year ago starting with a 24kg bell. Being in reasonable shape, I quickly owned the 24 bell & moved on to the 32.

Now after a year of S&S, I've finally reached Simple standards & have began transitioning to a 40 kg bell. Yesterday, after 2 weeks farting around the bulldog, I finally did a full 40kg S&S workout (50 swings 2H & 50 1H although the 1H swings were relatively low on the power&height scale) & the full 2x5 GUs. I took my time (esp with GU's) as I'm no where close to reaching the Bulldog standard but atleast, it felt reasonably comfortable.

That said, this 32 to 40 bell transition seems much easier than the transition from 24 to 32 – anyone else had a similar experience? If I remembered correctly, the 32 bell felt super heavy last summer & I had my doubts owning it & Sinister seemed like an unrealistic goal esp. at my age. Now, I can honestly say, with the remainder of this year on the bulldog, it seems possible that I can reach Sinister in bell size if not meeting the standard by my 60th birthday (Jan 2019). FWIW, I'm 168cm @72kg.

In the year of S&S, I can say that my bod has hardened up & while gains in size isnt spectacular, it's noticeable by friends & colleagues. With a bit of diet changes, I've also managed to lose 15lbs or so & am now referred to as being ripped inaddition to being jacked (by the same friends & colleagues) – & that's just Simple. What wonders abound at Sinister??

On top, I've had multiple WTH moments including jumping on my 1st bicycle ride of the season (April'18) riding 40kms at a more than respectable clip!!! Never happened before as it usually takes me 2-3 weeks of 4-5x weekly rides to get into the groove. This year, it was a shock to me how my cardio health is this level without any aerobic training (besides S&S). Also, I used to have lower back spasms a few times yearly & although I do wake up with a stiff back, the spasms are gone...yayyyyy! Besides the requisite stretches, I've discovered that windmills are awesome for relaxing the back which have convinced me to work on Bent Presses as a future endeavor. I've also found cleans & snatches to be good subs for swings & mixing them in makes for a fun(ner) workout.

Anyone else had a similar seemingly/relatively easy 32-40kg transition & any other 60yr olds going for their Sinister moment? Actually, even Beast Tamer doesn't seem so ridiculous a goal now hehe! That said, Beast Tamer might just be a bridge too far at my age & weight, what say you?

Ps: another big THANKS to Pavel for developing this program & for bringing KBs to our collective psyche.

@Scottie888 , welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your progress.

I will admit freely that at no time did I ever feel like the transition to the 40 was easy. Took a fair amount of time for me to develop enough grip strength that I could do a proper, powerful 1HS without feeling like the bell would tear itself out of my hands. But I've enjoyed the journey.

If it's feeling good to you, then power to you.

@Scottie888 Could you tell me your average times per week you did it?

Thanks

Great job.

Thanks Joey. as far as #of workouts weekly, I likely average out 3-5x weekly depending on schedule & work. Also I learnt some about listening to my body & will rest up if I don't feel the joie de vivre. Even though I mostly train with the 32 & now 40 bells, I still keep the 24 around for easy days & for training snatches, windmills (& likely as a beginner bell for bent press).

Also I have pullup/dip station which for the last few months I've been dedicating as a "light" day/week to weighted PUs & dips. Don't know if it's anyhow possible but I'm using archer pulls & other assisted pulls to train for a OAPU/OACU as its been in my bucket list of things I'd like to do before I kick the proverbial bucket.

@Scottie888 , welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your progress.

I will admit freely that at no time did I ever feel like the transition to the 40 was easy. Took a fair amount of time for me to develop enough grip strength that I could do a proper, powerful 1HS without feeling like the bell would tear itself out of my hands. But I've enjoyed the journey.

If it's feeling good to you, then power to you.

Thanks. Don't get me wrong as I'm nowhere saying transitioning from 32 to 40 is easy nor particularly "feeling good". Alls I'm saying is that this transition to 40 from 32 feels much easier than 24 to 32 - maybe its my memory playing tricks on me but it sure feels that way. I remember last year how HEAVY 32kg felt & how loosey goosey my arms felt doing TGUs. This time around, I had much less stability & strength issues as it felt more like a new adaptation than a particularly hard lift.

Still the 40bell isn't a cakewalk but I can certainly see the light at the end of the tunnel & the Beast does feel like its within sniffing distance. I can easily 2h swing the 40 with power & yes the 1h grip is lacking but no more so than the 32 last summer - infact I can 1h swing the 40 now better than I could the 32 then.

I'm so impressed with this program. The basics just works & I can easily mod it by throwing in C&P, snatches & any other lifts to liven it up.

Don't get me wrong as I'm nowhere saying transitioning from 32 to 40 is easy nor particularly "feeling good". Alls I'm saying is that this transition to 40 from 32 feels much easier than 24 to 32 - maybe its my memory playing tricks on me but it sure feels that way. I remember last year how HEAVY 32kg felt & how loosey goosey my arms felt doing TGUs. This time around, I had much less stability & strength issues as it felt more like a new adaptation than a particularly hard lift.
When transitioning to the 32, you were probably still learning how to 'move under' a heavy weight. 32 kg is also a big milestone mentally.

LOL! I love reading about people training with 32kg and higher weights. My 24kg bell has not done a full TGU yet and it feels really heavy - for now at least....

Thank you so much. I dinked around for the past month or so pretty serious on presses and such, to get my shoulders ready, and squats but limited on bells. Just got serious with the 24 coming.

Keeping on the track.

Inspirational.

When transitioning to the 32, you were probably still learning how to 'move under' a heavy weight. 32 kg is also a big milestone mentally.
1) congrats on reaching simple.
2) well done on staying with the program for a year.
3) well done moving beyond Simple when so many jump ship right after.
4) best of luck with your goal.

Now to your question: I have done a few swings and get ups with the 40kg, and yes the move from 32kg to 40kg seems easier than the move from 24kg to 32kg. I also thought: hey this might be possible! I assumed that it’s because of the nature of the lifts (ballistic and static) and the relative smaller weight increase: 16kg to 24kg is 1/2, 24kg to 32kg is 1/3 and 32 to 40kg is 1/4. Perhaps ones own bodycomp also plays a role.
J

I think you just answered my question. I was going to ask the forum if at my age (58) I should set my Simple goal at 28 kg and once there move on to ROP. I am very close to owning it. I have been doing S&S for 3 years and love the simplicity of it. Numerous setbacks (shoulder and elbow problems) have slowed me up as well as doing karate 3 times a week.

My grip strength isn't up for the 100 swings with the 40kg bell, yet. The TGUs were and are fine with it. The 40 really does feel too heavy for me for swings. Something to work up to over time. I'm hoping that my foray into deadlifting will transfer over to moving up to the 40 fully in S&S.

My grip strength isn't up for the 100 swings with the 40kg bell, yet. The TGUs were and are fine with it. The 40 really does feel too heavy for me for swings. Something to work up to over time.
Have you tried sets of 5 reps using chalk? Its working like a wonder for me to progress to the 32, that used to slip out of my hands. You can try as follows:

-8 sets of 10 with 32
- 4 sets of 5 with 40, using chalk.

This gives a total of 100 swings with a reasonable number of sets of 12. A second step could be to add more sets of 5 with the 40, or:

- 6 x 10 with 32
- 6 x 7 with 40, using chalk.

Again, 12 sets for a total of 102 swings. This is where I´m currently at progressing to the 32.

Great point about chalk. @WxHerk and I were talking about chalk this morning. I think we are in agreement about it and can sum it up like so:

If chalk helps you perform in your training, by all means, USE IT. IMO, the need of chalk is not a good reason to hold back your progress everythere else. But at the same time, if you find that you are later able to do something without chalk that you previously needed it for, this can be a valid indicator of progress.

Now, I can honestly say, with the remainder of this year on the bulldog, it seems possible that I can reach Sinister in bell size if not meeting the standard by my 60th birthday (Jan 2019)
We're the same age with the same birth month

On top, I've had multiple WTH moments including jumping on my 1st bicycle ride of the season (April'18) riding 40kms at a more than respectable clip!!! Never happened before as it usually takes me 2-3 weeks of 4-5x weekly rides to get into the groove. This year, it was a shock to me how my cardio health is this level without any aerobic training (besides S&S)
I had too many of these to count, everything gets easier

Anyone else had a similar seemingly/relatively easy 32-40kg transition & any other 60yr olds going for their Sinister moment?
The heaviest GU I've done is the 40, one of these days I'll give the 44 a shot as the 40 doesn't feel all that heavy. I've been working literally from the bottom up doing GU with the beast, now I can press up and hold, then roll to the side, when I feel like I own that I'll get to the elbow and so on..

Have you tried sets of 5 reps using chalk? Its working like a wonder for me to progress to the 32, that used to slip out of my hands. You can try as follows:

-8 sets of 10 with 32
- 4 sets of 5 with 40, using chalk.

This gives a total of 100 swings with a reasonable number of sets of 12. A second step could be to add more sets of 5 with the 40, or:

- 6 x 10 with 32
- 6 x 7 with 40, using chalk.

Again, 12 sets for a total of 102 swings. This is where I´m currently at progressing to the 32.
Actually I spoke too soon. Last night I ran an experiment and tried a few sets of 10 swings with the 40kg bell - no problem at all now after deadlifting 350lbs for a while!

Pardon the misleading title but in all honestly, NO I have NOT reached S&S Sinister...yet. I began my KB S&S journey roughly about a year ago starting with a 24kg bell. Being in reasonable shape, I quickly owned the 24 bell & moved on to the 32.

Now after a year of S&S, I've finally reached Simple standards & have began transitioning to a 40 kg bell. Yesterday, after 2 weeks farting around the bulldog, I finally did a full 40kg S&S workout (50 swings 2H & 50 1H although the 1H swings were relatively low on the power&height scale) & the full 2x5 GUs. I took my time (esp with GU's) as I'm no where close to reaching the Bulldog standard but atleast, it felt reasonably comfortable.

That said, this 32 to 40 bell transition seems much easier than the transition from 24 to 32 – anyone else had a similar experience? If I remembered correctly, the 32 bell felt super heavy last summer & I had my doubts owning it & Sinister seemed like an unrealistic goal esp. at my age. Now, I can honestly say, with the remainder of this year on the bulldog, it seems possible that I can reach Sinister in bell size if not meeting the standard by my 60th birthday (Jan 2019). FWIW, I'm 168cm @72kg.

In the year of S&S, I can say that my bod has hardened up & while gains in size isnt spectacular, it's noticeable by friends & colleagues. With a bit of diet changes, I've also managed to lose 15lbs or so & am now referred to as being ripped inaddition to being jacked (by the same friends & colleagues) – & that's just Simple. What wonders abound at Sinister??

On top, I've had multiple WTH moments including jumping on my 1st bicycle ride of the season (April'18) riding 40kms at a more than respectable clip!!! Never happened before as it usually takes me 2-3 weeks of 4-5x weekly rides to get into the groove. This year, it was a shock to me how my cardio health is this level without any aerobic training (besides S&S). Also, I used to have lower back spasms a few times yearly & although I do wake up with a stiff back, the spasms are gone...yayyyyy! Besides the requisite stretches, I've discovered that windmills are awesome for relaxing the back which have convinced me to work on Bent Presses as a future endeavor. I've also found cleans & snatches to be good subs for swings & mixing them in makes for a fun(ner) workout.

Anyone else had a similar seemingly/relatively easy 32-40kg transition & any other 60yr olds going for their Sinister moment? Actually, even Beast Tamer doesn't seem so ridiculous a goal now hehe! That said, Beast Tamer might just be a bridge too far at my age & weight, what say you?

Ps: another big THANKS to Pavel for developing this program & for bringing KBs to our collective psyche.

Holy smokes I'm gonna have to start this simple and sinister routine lol
I've been transitioning more and more from dumbbells to kettlebells to the point now I only own kettlebells. I'm definitely gonna get looked down on here when I say I never do swings or get ups infact the only swing I do is the one before I clean my bells. I can't do one get up with a 24kg just tried yet I can do 10 sets of 10 shoulder presses with double 24kgs and I can do 10 sets of 5 shoulder presses with double 32kgs it just doesn't make sense there must be something amazing about this exercise that give tremendous shoulder stability when you see people's progress. Theres loads on this forum of guys who can't press anywhere near there get up weights yet here I am can strict press 36kgs for 3 one arm at a time and push press 40kg but can't get through a full 24kg get up. I definitely need to start simple and sinister lol you certainly have earned my respect and put me into a new training frame of mind. Cheers brother

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom