all posts post new thread

Barbell Finding a barbell during shelter in place shortages

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jca17

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm glad I already had a kettlebell collection before the shelter in place demand shot up. Now I'm wishing I had a barbell though. I had been wanting to get the Ohio Power Bar from Rogue, but it's not in stock now.
Does anyone have suggestions for readily available barbells? I only really know about Rogue.
It would be used outside (San Francisco Bay Area), so I was hoping to get stainless steel or something that can withstand the elements a little better.

Thanks.

Plenty of used gear out there. Try Craigslist, try Facebook Marketplace, try eBay.

-S-

Plenty of used gear out there? When I check Craigslist for an olympic barbell in my area, I find the set that D ick's Sporting Goods usually sells for $250 available for $600.

I'm sure different locations have different markets, but where I live (Ohio) the used stuff costs more than the retail price -- and there isn't much used stuff to be found.

My suggestion is to check Rogue about five times a day for the next four weeks. Their kettlebells come in stock routinely, you might be able to catch them when they have a bar available. Of course, plates will be difficult too ...

I can't say what you have as readily available but Eleiko and Leoko make great barbells and I wouldn't hesitate to get either if I was in the market for one and had the means.

Plenty of used gear out there. Try Craigslist, try Facebook Marketplace, try eBay.

-S-

The pandemic changes things.

Titan Fitness is generally not up to the same quality as Rogue, but they have a lot of items (including some barbells) in stock. See link below. I see they have one cerakote bar in stock, which might be a good option for outdoor use considering the reputation for durability that cerakote has.

Plenty of used gear out there? When I check Craigslist for an olympic barbell in my area, I find the set that D ick's Sporting Goods usually sells for $250 available for $600.

Supply and Demand

Due the overwhelming demands for home fitness equipment, price have definitely increased.

I work for a Retail/Commercial Fitness Fitness Company. We cannot keep items in stock. We have some items pre-sold with ETAs on them around December.

I'm sure different locations have different markets, but where I live (Ohio) the used stuff costs more than the retail price -- and there isn't much used stuff to be found.

As Eric said, Craisglist doesn't have much and the prices are often as much ore more than retail prices.

As an example, most used weight that usually sold for about 60 cent a pound, now sell for over $2.00 a pound. It hard to find because it usually sell out quickly.

My suggestion is to check Rogue about five times a day for the next four weeks. Their kettlebells come in stock routinely, you might be able to catch them when they have a bar available. Of course, plates will be difficult too ...

As Eric said, you need be diligent in your search; constantly checking

Another option is to pre-pay, if possible. for fitness equipment and then wait.

Last edited:
In addition to Rogue...
Perform Better
Power Systems
elitefts
jesupgym
newyorkbarbells.com

There are others. I imagine places are starting to have things in stock again or will be soon.

places are starting to have things in stock again or will be soon.

It depends on what you are looking for.

There is a huge demand for Free Weights: Olympic Bar, Olympic Plates, Standard Plates, Dumbbells, PowerBlocks, Benches, Racks, etc. There isn't much in the Free Weights to be found or that will be back soon.

The manufacturers have not been able to catch up.

The exception appears to be with the upper end, more expensive items and Cardio Equipment.

You could make an axle bar pretty cheap. I went about a year and half with just an axle, plates and a few kettlebells. Not sure how well it would hold up outside though

There is a huge demand for Free Weights: Olympic Bar, Olympic Plates, Standard Plates, Dumbbells, PowerBlocks, Benches, Racks, etc. There isn't much in the Free Weights to be found or that will be back soon.
There is used equipment available. Craiglist, Facebook Marketplace, eBay. I picked up four 25 kg competition Eleiko plates last weekend that I'd found on Facebook Marketplace.

The manufacturers have not been able to catch up.

The exception appears to be with the upper end, more expensive items and Cardio Equipment.
Eleiko told me it will be next March when they expect to have new stock on some things - that's a _long_ time from now.

-S-

If you want something new there will certainly be a wait time.
A friend ordered a rogue product and finally received after a two month wait.
If you look high and low you can find used equipment but it will be pricier .
It's a sellers market right now.
Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I started getting targeted ads for max gravity fitness equipment. Anyone know anything about them? I would mainly be considering buying iron plates. They claim to have shipments out within a month.

You could make an axle bar pretty cheap. I went about a year and half with just an axle, plates and a few kettlebells. Not sure how well it would hold up outside though

Great DIY video - nice to have all the specific links. You really could make it just from watching that video, which often is not the case. If I didn't already have an axle bar, I'd consider it.

-S-

My used weight lifting equipment story:

Yesterday I picked up something I've always wanted, a deadlift jack. The Rogue DL jack sells for $165, plus shipping. I paid $60 for a Rogue deadlift jack in good condition, and the location was perfect - it was near the shore, about an hour and a quarter away, so we made afternoon of it.

After I taught in the morning, we drove down there, picked up the DL jack, then had a lovely afternoon - toes in the ocean, early dinner on a second floor outdoor balcony overlooking the boardwalk and the ocean that had great seafood (what one should eat when near the ocean, IMO), and Jersey shore fudge and coffee for dessert while walking on the boardwalk.

Since one doesn't get to go many places in this time of COVID-19, we take what opportunities we can. And my bar spent last night resting in its new Rogue deadlift jack. Life is pretty good sometimes.

-S-

Eleiko told me it will be next March when they expect to have new stock on some things - that's a _long_ time from now.

-S-

I'm not sure which Eleiko bar you were looking at, but the weightlifting competition bar, weightlifting performance bar, and power lifting performance bar show as in stock, at least on the US online store.

But maybe they don't ship to Canada.

Oh and the rack bar, too:

Last edited:
Here's an email I got from Eleiko in mid-August:

"All IPF Powerlifting discs are currently out of stock with an estimated restock after February 2021"

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom