all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Finished with "Lazy Endurance" swing protocol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

banzaiengr

Level 6 Valued Member
This protocol as others have described was a heavier bell and 5 reps every minute on the minute, right/left, right/left. The average session time increased each week through week three. Week four was a de-load week and again increasing for week five and six.

I started with a 40K bell. I used it through the first seven sessions. I could hack it but it was too much bell for me. It was recommended that I reduce to the 32 for the remainder of the protocol. I'm not sure how much difference this made as the 32 is my go to bell for S&S and other training so I wasn't swinging a heavier bell. But I was swinging a bell better.

During the majority of this protocol the only other training I did was get-ups with the 32 and the number was basically dependent on the way I felt. Toward the end of the protocol I was able to do a right hand get-up with the 40K, a PR for me. I also noticed an increase in strength through the shoulders when doing spiderman crawls. This is very subjective as I did lose 5 lb. during the training.

The other positive was an increase in grip strength.

My pre and post test was only the 10 minute run. I had a slight increase from 1.25 mi. to 1.27 mi.

What sort of diet were you following?

I don't really follow any diet other than "eat like an adult". Due to my screwy work schedule sometimes (like during this protocol) it works well and other times it doesn't. My weight fluctuates like that quite a bit too, so really I was just at the low end of that fluctuation. Now, let's say had I lost 10 lb., that would have been noteworthy. I wanted to add that to the results due to the fact that the crawls seemed easier.

I think Al is on to something here though. For some reason I liked Protocol 102 better (more volume but within Maffetone guidelines for HR). I'm very curious as to what the overall outcome will be and what it may or may not show.

I'm glad you got me back to this thread though because I may have notice something else regarding my results. For about 10 days following the protocol I did kind of a de-load but due to my hard headedness it wasn't much of a de-load. One workout I decided to do 3x25 (three sets 25reps, I never know how to show this cause it both ways on the forum) 2-handed swings with the 32K. It freaking smoked me. Another day I did the timed test from S&S. I had never been under 5 min. with the 32 for swings but very close at 5:05. I had been under 10 min with the 32 for get ups. On this day I was at 6:15 for the swings, and again huffing like a locomotive. The get ups came in just under 10 min. Were these results due to the fact that I had been training more aerobically through Protocol 102 & 103 and are better results in the S&S test something that will come back quickly with more anaerobic work? Was it just a less than an optimal day? I don't know.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom